• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Guidance Required for Newbie

Bindy50

Dear All,

I am new to this site and really would like some guidance, but want to start by saying, I have read some of your posts and find you very inspiring and at times I have become rather emotional as your stories reflect mine and most of you seem to have come such a long way.

I have been overweight, mainly obese all my adult life. I have a BMI of 50.3, I have type 2 diabetes (1000 mg per day metformin and 1.2mg of Victoza) I have hypertension and my weight can make me very depressed. I am sure you know my story! Yo yo diets always end up weighing more than you started.

I have made a couple of enquiries firstly with the THG, I can just about afford a gastric band, but to be honest have read stories of poor aftercare. I have spoken to Gravitas who are very expensive (out of my reach) they recommend a gastric bypass.

I think I may be entitled to a gastric bypass on the NHS and would like to hear from all you experienced folk with any help and guidance you think you may be able to offer me. Is it possible to get WLS on the NHS or am I flogging a dead horse?

Please share you knowledge with me, thanks in advance x

welcome to the forum xx

we have all researched the NHS and their rules massivley lol...if you can give us an idea of what PCT you come under we can tell you their guidlines based upon our experience....

its always worth starting at your GP anyway, see my signature, it explains my journey so far.

i know you have loads of questions...your lucky your in the right place for us all to answer them ;) xx

You certainly can get wls on the nhs. Firstly get down your doctors and tell him you would like to be referred. You have a bmi of over 50 with co-morbidities. As long as you dont live in Scotland (cant remember the actual area) as the bmi has to be over 60!!
It can take anything from 12- 30 months from referal to operating table so get the ball rolling asap and ask to see a doctor who has wls experiences.
Good luck and keep posting.

Kim

Thanks Missy, I am seeing my GP next week. I started down this road some 6 + years ago and without hesitation my GP referred me but WLS was not really practiced at my local hosp. I saw a dietcian, started on the active for life programme, took medication (Xenical) and I must have fallen through the net. I obviously failed AGAIN. My PCT is CENTRAL LANCASHIRE.

I can see you have started on your journey and really wish you the best! x

Thanks Kim, I see myself in 12 - 30 months of having a BMI of over 60!!! It seems so far away!
I have tried to do some research and I have a appt next week with GP. Do you know anything about the individual patient funding request?

Bindy50 said:
Thanks Kim, I see myself in 12 - 30 months of having a BMI of over 60!!! It seems so far away!
I have tried to do some research and I have a appt next week with GP. Do you know anything about the individual patient funding request?

Because you will have the op to aim for you won't gain. You will want to have lost weight for each appointment :)

Good luck. We are all here to help and support you every step of the way :)

They are all different now a days and i dont know if your doctor will have it to hand? mine didnt, i found out at the 1st appointment. Some people on here phone their pct to ask this, so find out their address and phone number, someone in the surgery should know, sometimes the receptionists are really helpful. If you meet your pct's criteria for weight loss there is no reason why it wont happen.:)

kim

Hi

Found the criteria for your PCT:

Central Lancashire - NICE Guidelines criteria.

Good luck with your GP x

It is indeed!

In summary NICE advises that a person should be considered for surgery if:

a)They have a BMI of over 40 and have tried to lose weight by attending a weight management programme and have also tried, where appropriate, the available prescription anti-obesity drugs and been monitored by their family doctor.

b) They have a BMI of over 50. In this case weight loss surgery can be considered without the patient having necessarily tried different approaches to lose their excess weight.

c) If the person has a BMI of 35-40 but has one of the serious co-morbidities e.g. Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea, and other weight loss options have failed.

Just had a look, criteria is the same as my pct down south.
Looks like bmi over 50 without co-morbidities entitles you to surgery. You have co-morbities so even more reason to be offered it. Does the doctor have any records of your dieting over the years as this will go towards it also. Remember to tell him what sort of diets you have been on over the years.

Kim

It is indeed!

In summary NICE advises that a person should be considered for surgery if:

a)They have a BMI of over 40 and have tried to lose weight by attending a weight management programme and have also tried, where appropriate, the available prescription anti-obesity drugs and been monitored by their family doctor.

b) They have a BMI of over 50. In this case weight loss surgery can be considered without the patient having necessarily tried different approaches to lose their excess weight.

c) If the person has a BMI of 35-40 but has one of the serious co-morbidities e.g. Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea, and other weight loss options have failed.
Then that is good news. Thank you so much for your advice and help. Fingers crossed with GP.

My worry was after being on Xenical a number of years ago and attending appts with dieticians, I would have to start again, but what you say means that as I have a BMI over 50 AND I have comorbidthingies then I qualify without attending weight management classes etc etc?

My argument is it must be cost effective in long term as my victoza injections cost Circa £120 per month and then there is other medication!

Thanks again Marieann x

Thank you so very much, I am really appreciative of your help. I cannot thank you enough, I feel after all these years of feeling hopeless and helpless in just an hour I feel a light has been turned on. My GP is very supportive, I know as he referred me a number of years ago and he will do the same again, he hasn't hesitated in giving me support with expensive diabetes treatment. He will have everything on record and cannot wait till next Monday evening.

I really am sincerely grateful for your help and advice x

hi and welcome to this forum i am glad you have found the information you wanted, you said your doctor referred you a number of years ago what was the out come of that referral the only reason i ask is you dont want a repeat of that so you need to be prepaird. xxxx

Hiya and welcome, I had my bypass on the Nhs and would definately say go for it, hopefully u shud be accepted with ur stats and wot others have posted. Then just think the £s you were considering spending on ur op can be used to replace ur wardrobe :), it mite seem like ur waiting ages but its worth the wait. xx

Doh, how awful of me to get your name wrong. I was so excited - well that and old timers disease!

Thanks again x

Back