• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any bypassers out their 3 years + ???

hi
i had my bypass on the nhs in march i was seen 5 week post op, but since then nothing, i was also told there was no way you could put weight on as i wasn't absorbing anything anymore?????????????
i have lost 5 stones to date(most of it i lost in first 3 months) now i am only losing a couple of pound a month, which is very depressing.
not even my gp is interested in following me up, i just see the nurse every 3 months for my b12 injection.
alison

hi
i had my bypass on the nhs in march i was seen 5 week post op, but since then nothing, i was also told there was no way you could put weight on as i wasn't absorbing anything anymore?????????????
i have lost 5 stones to date(most of it i lost in first 3 months) now i am only losing a couple of pound a month, which is very depressing.
not even my gp is interested in following me up, i just see the nurse every 3 months for my b12 injection.
alison

Hi alison, I so sorry that you are not getting the help that you should be entitled to, but I have to say your weight loss is really wonderful, my weight loss ticker is including the weight I lost from the first time I met my surgeon, I lost a stone by cutting down, a stone on the preop and then just short of five after the op, my weight loss has slowed down now, although I did lose half a stone and then put a couple of pounds on last week when I was ill! I think the normal weight to lose after the first big loss is half a stone a month, ifs its less than that I would contact your surgeon and ask for another apointment to discuss whats happening, it may be that your body is putting up one last fight to keep hold of the weight! dont be too disheartened you are doing really well and are still on the losing side.

Alison where did you have yr surgery? Did you see a psycologist prior to yr bypass? Just interested as im also from bolton. Im under Dr New at Hope.
HC

Alison, you have done really well with your weight loss. Sorry it's slowed down for you. It must be really hard to keep positive but you must! Look at what you have achieved so far.x

thanks for your replies, to hopelesscase, i had no pyschologist i had my surgery at leeds nuffield under prof mcmahon, i think some of the lack of help is down to me, i work for my doctors have done for 20 years, so i told him to write for funding then when that came through i made my own appt at leeds, the only thing i got prior to surgery was my pre op assessment.
at my 5 week check up i told prof i was eating pretty normal with no problems at all i told him my weight loss was slow and he told me well you weren't that big to start off with (i was 21 stone and 5ft 4 my bmi was 52?????)
i don't know if i can contact my surgeon as i was done under tyhe nhs.
thanks alison

Alison that is really intresting as a friend has just had hers done at the same place as you by the same doc 2 weeks ago and is wondering what the hell she has done to herself. She was refered in exactly the same way as you and has had no psycological assessment, no sleep, urine or blood tests. The more i hear i am happy for it to take that bit longer to get where i want to be as i feel i am having a proper assessment along the way.
Its worth phoning his secretary and asking about ongoing support but am i right in thinking the nuffield is a private hopsital so although the NHS paid for yr op that may well just be it. thank god for sites like this.
HC

Alison that is really intresting as a friend has just had hers done at the same place as you by the same doc 2 weeks ago and is wondering what the hell she has done to herself. She was refered in exactly the same way as you and has had no psycological assessment, no sleep, urine or blood tests. The more i hear i am happy for it to take that bit longer to get where i want to be as i feel i am having a proper assessment along the way.
Its worth phoning his secretary and asking about ongoing support but am i right in thinking the nuffield is a private hopsital so although the NHS paid for yr op that may well just be it. thank god for sites like this.
HC

yes leeds nuffield is a private hospital and i am sure you only get the one follow up paid for.

surely the NHS have an obligation to provide aftercare if they paid for it though? I would go back to GP, speak to PCT and ask what aftercare there is available. Even if you start with a dietician and go from there.

I'm NHS and here we get 2 years full aftercare.

hi caroline, well i havent read ur threads or articles yet, as u know i had my bypass 15months ago and have lost 8.5 stone so far yes its slowed down but im happy with it and i also know its easy to put weight back on, as for ur sex addiction lol u told me u wasnt getting any lol, i will have to find u a man lol ok xxx

hi caroline, well i havent read ur threads or articles yet, as u know i had my bypass 15months ago and have lost 8.5 stone so far yes its slowed down but im happy with it and i also know its easy to put weight back on, as for ur sex addiction lol u told me u wasnt getting any lol, i will have to find u a man lol ok xxx

Hi hun, I think I frighten the men off when I try to drag them into my car, Im banned already from Leeds city centre he he. Will have to put you on the look out for me! :rolleyes:

thanks for your replies, to hopelesscase, i had no pyschologist i had my surgery at leeds nuffield under prof mcmahon, i think some of the lack of help is down to me, i work for my doctors have done for 20 years, so i told him to write for funding then when that came through i made my own appt at leeds, the only thing i got prior to surgery was my pre op assessment.
at my 5 week check up i told prof i was eating pretty normal with no problems at all i told him my weight loss was slow and he told me well you weren't that big to start off with (i was 21 stone and 5ft 4 my bmi was 52?????)
i don't know if i can contact my surgeon as i was done under tyhe nhs.
thanks alison

Alison thats revolting the treatment that you have received, Im five nine and was 22 stone and my surgeon told me I had one of the smaller bmi,s that he had operated, but I still recieved his full support and a great aftercare team. Like shel has be given, you should recieve a minimum of two years after care, I went private and my provider dont offer any other type of package as they feel you need the constant support for two years, and after reading some stories I think that we should be offered a life time support system, kick up a stink and tell them that you need the help! can I ask when you had the op and how much you have lost since having it?

Alison thats revolting the treatment that you have received, Im five nine and was 22 stone and my surgeon told me I had one of the smaller bmi,s that he had operated, but I still recieved his full support and a great aftercare team. Like shel has be given, you should recieve a minimum of two years after care, I went private and my provider dont offer any other type of package as they feel you need the constant support for two years, and after reading some stories I think that we should be offered a life time support system, kick up a stink and tell them that you need the help! can I ask when you had the op and how much you have lost since having it?

hi caroline i had my op in march this year and have lost 5 stone so far.
the inches have come off quicker than the pounds, i can now shop in primark which i have never been able to do :)
i have gone from a size 26 to an 18.
i am going to have a word with my gp to see which is on offer.
alison

Hi all

I have to say I have found this thread, very very interesting... I too have not been given any support, either threw dietician or consultant, he did say email him whenever i wanted to but he never replies!!!!

I too was also told you could not put weight on after bypass, so it is interesting to read that you can!!! it is all very hard to work out.... I did read a magazine whilst on holiday about a woman who had a bypass lost all the weight and then got addicted to chocolate and found if she sucked it she could eat as many bars as she liked!!! since then has gained all her weight and more!!!!

Tell you what thoough it confuses the hell out of me

Mandy - I know I'm not flavour of the month on here :rolleyes::D:cry::confused: because I say what I think BUT I do feel some of you are getting very shabby treatment from your "providers" and I AM sorry about that.

Whether people are private or NHS there should be support provided. It just isn't right that you are being left high & dry.

You may remember that originally I came on here seeking advice/info for my sister who was down to have a gastric bypass and because we are so close and have already been through a lot together, I felt I HAD to research everything about the op. It concerned me THEN that people were not being told that people can and do put weight back on after this op.

I'm just expecting all the "is she for real?" and "who does she think she is?" remarks and a few **** thrown in for good measure!:D:Dbut all I do is speak the truth and as time goes on some of you are finding out that what I have said is correct, so in a way I am being supportive to some people.

I have just taken a look at the link Callysplace put up, which I don't think I originally saw when I was looking for my sis.

Ola Mandy oh for god sake just ignore Floella's post ha ha when will she get the message .. Yes speaking the truth is a god given right BUT not when its at the expense of others feelings. I think she really should get the message and leave the weight loss area and do us all a favour !! I sense a relishment from her post that maybe her OPINIONS are now being proved right in some way ......ER NO !! U knew the downfalls could happen and those that are supportive will help u. Ie THOSE WHO ARE HAVING OR HAVE HAD SURGERY or those WHO ARE NOT HYPOCRITICICAL and GENUINELY WANT TO HELP.. Just ignore it and were all here for u . love ya. will chat to u on MSN xxxx

Errr ...... I seem to recall I was replying to Mandy.:confused:

Lovebug - I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to have taken on the role of "minder" and to keep ON about me not being supportive etc. I am trying to be, albeit in a different way to you.

I know you disagree with my opinions, and that's fine, but you shouldn't really come out with statements about people knowing the downfalls when some clearly don't. :sigh: Mandy has said she was not aware that people could put weight back on & so did Callysplace and others. If you think that's MY FAULT then that's up to you.:rolleyes:

Whatever operation people have (not just weightloss surgery, but hysterectomy, having your tonsils out or even childbirth) people compare notes and try and find out all they can so they are well prepared.

Would you consider it right for someone to be looking for info on, say a bypass op, and just finding info that it is 100% guaranteed and you will NEVER gain weight? I don't think that's fair at all and once my sister found out she decided against it too. I accept that some people will still go ahead and that is absolutely their choice and they go into it knowing that.

I am also well aware of people's feelings so please don't try and say otherwise.

Incidentally, I think your new hairstyle is stunning and NO I'm not trying to "get round you" at all.:)

Well I spoke with my dietician and she put my mind at ease..... and also a lady who had the op the same day as me... spoke with the surgeon and he reassured her.... and explained it is only in really extreme cases and that you would have to seriously abuse your body... which personally i don't think anyone of us is prepared to do....

Does prove that even with the bypass you have to use it as a tool!!!! and that it isnt a quick fix...... which some people do think it is!!!!!! those of us who are having the bypass or band or who have had it, don't take this lightly it is a very hard decision... but one that is worthwhile.......

I also think it does not help with all the different things everyone is told..... not many of us are told the same things...... so it does get confusing

But we will all get there in the end

hey caroline hows u hun u man eating vamp lol, hope ur on msn this weekend as i need a good laugh and boy dont we laugh lol, as to ur thread ive never had support since i had my bypass 15months ago and the funny thing is i can eat chocolate without dumping lol but i havnt put weight on only time of the month about 2lb u need to work at a bypass, anyway take care and i got to think of a nick name for u now lol il let u know on msn ok, by the way wot do u think of my signature bling or wot xxx

Errr ...... I seem to recall I was replying to Mandy.:confused:

Lovebug - I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to have taken on the role of "minder" and to keep ON about me not being supportive etc. I am trying to be, albeit in a different way to you.

I know you disagree with my opinions, and that's fine, but you shouldn't really come out with statements about people knowing the downfalls when some clearly don't. :sigh: Mandy has said she was not aware that people could put weight back on & so did Callysplace and others. If you think that's MY FAULT then that's up to you.:rolleyes:

Whatever operation people have (not just weightloss surgery, but hysterectomy, having your tonsils out or even childbirth) people compare notes and try and find out all they can so they are well prepared.

Would you consider it right for someone to be looking for info on, say a bypass op, and just finding info that it is 100% guaranteed and you will NEVER gain weight? I don't think that's fair at all and once my sister found out she decided against it too. I accept that some people will still go ahead and that is absolutely their choice and they go into it knowing that.

I am also well aware of people's feelings so please don't try and say otherwise.

Incidentally, I think your new hairstyle is stunning and NO I'm not trying to "get round you" at all.:)

Err read again ...i seem to recall i was replying to Mandy also . She is my very very good friend whom i love dearly, speak to daily, spend time with and if i choose to protect her that is our business. Also the people on here have given me the greatest support whether the news be good or bad and again if i feel someone on here is acting untoward to others ....i will protect them also and vice versa. I do not wish to carry on this tooing and froing so lets leave it at that please. Thankyou.

Back