• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Several years down the line...

Twiggie

Had a bad attack of insomnia again last night / this morning (typical when I've got to travel down to London again this morning!!) and anyway, I got to thinking ... as you do in the wee small hours ... and has anyone ever wondered what the long term effects of having a gastric bypass will be?

I'm talking 10-20 years down the line, when (some of us) will be approaching our twilight years. Have any long term studies been done? Has anyone asked their surgeon about it? Will our life expectancy be cut short due to poor absorption of vitamins/minerals?

Made me suddenly realise that I haven't even thought beyond the first year or two once the weight has come off!

Before I had the op I did some research on the long-term effects of the gastric bypass. I only found a few studies in the US. Long term mortality rates were reduced with regard to cancer, diabetes and heart disease but the rates of death by accident and suicide were raised in bypassers. We all appreciate the high levels of depression in obese people and it just goes to show that by merely undergoing surgery, the depression doesn't go away. I sometimes wonder what comes first; the over-eating or the depression. Chicken/egg?

Before I had the op I did some research on the long-term effects of the gastric bypass. I only found a few studies in the US. Long term mortality rates were reduced with regard to cancer, diabetes and heart disease but the rates of death by accident and suicide were raised in bypassers. We all appreciate the high levels of depression in obese people and it just goes to show that by merely undergoing surgery, the depression doesn't go away. I sometimes wonder what comes first; the over-eating or the depression. Chicken/egg?

Interesting! I'll have to do some research when I get time. Certainly in my case the depression came first, well bipolar disorder actually, but whether I can link the obesity to it (apart from the fact some of the medications cause weight gain) would be interesting to find out more if possible.

This was something i thought about whilst sitting watching TV one weekend pre op munching my way through whatever fat resource was my choice of poison on that particular day, and i quickly put the thoughts out of my head, you see i was sitting there slowly killing myself, waiting for the inevitable heart attack or stroke to happen, i'd virtually ground to a halt, so what future did i really have, i'm now fast approaching two years post op and have dropped 13 stone in weight, but whats more important is that i've regained my life again, my vitimin levels are right on the money, i have a really low colesterole count (which supprised me) my blood pressure is lower than average and sporting 13% body fat i'm fitter now than i was when i was 20 !

So yep something could come along and kick the legs from underneath me, but at least when they wheel me through the Pearly gates i'll know i had a good go ! ;-)

Really interesting question. As a pre-opper all I'm concerned with is getting through op and losing the weight. I know if I dont lose the weight I wont be around in 10 years let alone 20.
My surgeon did say that osteoporosis risk is increased long term.
xxxxxxxx

The way I hope it will work out for me is that I feel like I will get my life back and have more quality time with my son when he needs it - if my choices cut my life short by a couple of years I think I could live with that, so long as I had achieved my goals.

Interesting points raised there re: quality of life now, or lack thereof, compared to a much higher quality of life post-op when the weight comes off.

SS - I think you hit the nail on the head there. Like you, I'm probably far more at risk of dying from obesity related problems (or blindness, loss of limb etc through diabetes) if I don't have surgery!

Amrac1 - I'm at high risk of osteoporosis already so that's a slight concern although I am currently taking calcium supplements which I assume I'll continue for the rest of my life.

iheartny - great way of looking at things. I'm sure my grandson would be far happier having a granny who can run around after him too :)

Back