• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anybody wish..........

charliegirl

Anybody wish they had had the band instead of bypass and vice versa? Only asking because when I started out on this journey I never thought about the bypass only the band. After speaking to the consultant who leaned more towards the bypass I started looking more in that direction. The consultant stated that he had many patients who returned a few years later after banding wanting the bypass, just wanting peoples thoughts on this.....Linda x

I felt that for me, the bypass was the best bet, as I am still young (29) and wanted a permanent solution. I also felt I needed the threat of dumping to control my eating as my willpower is not the strongest.

Now post op I'm happy with that choice. My eating doesn't feel like a diet, I don't feel denied etc, and it's working well.

Totally agree with Shell, I did consider the band briefly but the bypass was my number one choice. I don't feel like I am on a diet, just a way of life.
Plus no fills which I was a bit terrified of!!

I have to say I am preferring the bypass I am like you shel and need that dumping feeling to keep me on track. Linda x

i did get offered bypass and was strongly advised to go that way but the seriousness of the op scared me too much and i also know someone who has regreted her bypass so i chose to be banded i think banding is the harder option long term but was right for me , there have been the odd moment i wonder if i made the right choice but i know in a couple of years when iv dropped weight and can maintain easier il be happy with that choice my sugeon was quiet honest in the fact nobody from my hosp or area could get cosmetic enhancement at the other end even on appeal unless serious health implications i didnt want that result, saggy skin and still being unhappy with my body i think it such a personel choice as to whats best but may find in a few years iv made wrong desition

i feel the same as serenity and i like the thought of it being reversable and not permanent..
everyones different and it only down to the individual..
emmax

Hi,

I went for the bypass, as I knew with the band I would probably cheat after a few weeks, and what would be the point of going through all that? My surgeon said the bypass was best for me also, he says he has had so many patients return to him for the bypass because the band had failed them, because they could still eat sugary foods etc! Its too easy to cheat the band without will power! The band is somewhat the harder to live with, (because u can cheat it) but the bypass changes your anatomy and can cause a number of health problems because of malabsorption etc! Both are hard to live with, some people can cheat the bypass too! Many do succeed on the band, but for me the bypass is a more permanent solution to obesity. BUT... A RNY bypass can be reversed if it needs to be! We still have our normal stomach in there. Obviously another major op, but the option is there if it is necessary!

With my bypass, I do not need will power, I do not feel hungry (yet), and I know that even if I did want to eat sugary/fatty foods, it could potentially make me feel pretty bad! I dont feel like I'm on a diet, and I'm dropping weight with the knowledge that I can keep it off. The bottom line is I do not worry about food anymore! I feel fantastic, and do not regret anything.......yet!

Kel xxx

thanks kel thats an interesting post, I am leaning towards the bypass for all the reasons that you have quoted, I want to be able to have it done and get on with it. I think every weight loss plan be it surgery or lighter life whatever comes with problems, I read the posts on other diets and they struggle with similar things, feeling cold, hair loss, bad breath there seems to be a price to pay whatever route is chosen. I also fly abroad alot to visit family and would hate to have to keep having the band emptied and then refilled so I could fly. Thanks for being honest about it...Linda x

I opted for the bypass as i felt it was the best option for me. I don't regret my decison at all x

Back