• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anybody with Mental Health Illness?

NEDebz

I understand people might not want to share any details of MH illnesses on a public forum but I was wondering if there is anybody who has a MH illness has gone through the WLS route?

The reason I ask is the I have Borderline Personality Disorder (and my psychiatrist added Bi-polar into the mix yesterday) and I'm really scared this is going to have an impact on me being able to have WLS.

My GP thinks it will be an issue, my psychiatrist seemed skeptical yesterday when I was discussing it with him. He was shocked at the thought of the consultant going ahead with the operation if they knew my MH history. The only person that doesn't seem to for see any problems is my psychologist. He has identified that a significant part of my self esteem/hatred issues are related to my weight and thinks that it will be good for my mental state to have the operation.

So I wondered if anybody has had any negative experiences from WLS consultants/health professionals? Has anybody been turned down for WLS due to MH illness or have you had to undergo extra procedures (appointments with psychologists etc)

Sorry for blabbing!

Thanks

tray

i have had depression since i was 14, i went to the drs last year and was told that 17 years ago i was diagnoised with bi polar but due to moving around i was never told so for 17 years i was miss treated. it wasonly when my new dr looked over some old notes as to how long i had been suffering that he asked me if i had ever been told about bi polar , so thanks to him im on the right pills and feel great at last ... when i went for my assesment at the hospital for wls you have to see a physhic and they will work out if they think you are ready for the surgery if they dont think you are they will write to ur dr and ask u to get some help.. but it doesnt normally stop the op just prolong it a bit . unless u can bulls**t your way through the assesment ..lol

dottychic

Hi Debbie, I have suffered clinical depression for years and still take anti-depressants and that hasnt hampered my journey so far. Sorry I cant help more but I do agree that weight issues are connected with MH issues, self hatred etc .... good luck with your journey x

i too suffer and recive medical help in the form of tablets and seeing a mental health team.

i went private and it wasnt an issue

.x.

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
You shouldn't be discriminated against because of MH issues, but they will want to know about any mh issues so they can look at any extra support you might need.

Rx

petshell

Check out the NICE guidelines, but I am sure that having mental health issues is NOT a reason for not having WLS.
As long as you have full understanding of the treatment and after effects then I beleive there should not be a problem, even on the NHS.

I did not have any psych involvement before my op. However, I have a 20+ year history of depression including psychiatric support, ppsychology support and counselling. None of that went against me.
I do know of others with bi-polar who have also had the operation.
So fingers crossed it wil not be an issue for you either x
Shells
x

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
Deb its not usually a issue with our team hun x

NEDebz

Thank you all for your replies. I maybe just panicking a bit as I have my next appointment next Monday. Fingers crossed my MH won't get mentioned.

Liz, thanks for taking the time to speak to me until the small hours of the morning reassuring me that our team will be fine

xxx

Twiggie

Thank you all for your replies. I maybe just panicking a bit as I have my next appointment next Monday. Fingers crossed my MH won't get mentioned.

Liz, thanks for taking the time to speak to me until the small hours of the morning reassuring me that our team will be fine

xxx

They will know about it anyway from your GP referral as they have to include a summary of your complete medical history. This is something I also worried about as I have the same dx as you but it's never caused me a problem, other than the consultant asking more questions and initially referring me to a psych about my previous eating disorders.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine xx

NEDebz

Thanks Twiggie,

I guessed they would know as when I was referred for Sleep Apnoea there was a full list of all my dx and previous hospital admissions.

I know at this appointment some people see just a nurse at an outreach hospital while others see a consultant, my appointment is at the hospital where you would see a consultant so assume that is why. xx

Twiggie

Thanks Twiggie,

I guessed they would know as when I was referred for Sleep Apnoea there was a full list of all my dx and previous hospital admissions.

I know at this appointment some people see just a nurse at an outreach hospital while others see a consultant, my appointment is at the hospital where you would see a consultant so assume that is why. xx

I'm sure you'll be just fine. Your GP wouldn't have referred you if he thought you weren't stable enough to cope with surgery, or that it would cause any deterioration to your MH. I should imagine, as in my case, it's more than likely to improve it with increased confidence and self-esteem :) xx

Last edited:

thinkbethin

Debbie I have been on anti-depressants for 7 years now since my 1st stroke and it did'nt affect my surgery. Your surgeon may request you see a psychologist before your op so as to help prepare you for the life changes post op. Good luck on your journey sweetheartxxxx

jaxx

I've suffered from clinical depression ever since I was 14 years old. As I problems with binge eating in the past the surgeon wanted me to see a psychologist prior to agreeing surgery to make sure I didn't have any lingering problems with food. Everything went ok and I had surgery in January. I was on anti-depressants before surgery but had to come off them as they were huge tablets and I couldn't swallow them after surgery. I haven't gone back on them.