• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will Mental Illness Affect My Chances?

Evenstarr

I've got my group session tomorrow and my initial excitement has been replaced with worry that because I suffer from cyclothmic disorder ( bi polar, but milder) I will be refused surgery.
Has anyone else had mental health issues and found they caused them problems or didn't it matter?
My psychiatrist has already said he is willing to give a psychiatric assessment if needed, although he says they only usually ask for them with patients who have eating disorders , and unless my quest to rid the world of crisps by eating them is an eating disorder then I don't have one! :p

One of the reasons I was referred was due to body dysmorphia. If you have a therapist, or your GP can write a letter saying you're mentally capable of coping with the trials post op will bring then I think you should be ok, that's what my shrink did for me.

I've had mental health issues since I was 17 yrs old....Upon my assessment I met with a psychologist at my hospital, we talked about loads, and she could see I was in a good place now and that weight reduction through WLS help would benefit other illnesses and make me feel better all around.

So what im saying is...be positive, tell them why you want this wls, How your feeling, that you have many a day thats a 'fat day' and its keeping you depressed more...

Good luck X

I have had bulimia and depression (used counselling, not anti depressants). I have also self harmed a few years ago now.. I was honest and here I am post op.

I thought bulimia past would mean no chance for me. But it didn't.

So you will be fine :D

You know ladies we all have skeletons in our closets and like whats just been said be open and honest, and the best will come out, therefore the best outcome fro you will be dedcided, hopefully wls. xx I to have been on both side of depression as a carer and the one beeing cared for. xx At this moment in time i have found myself to be very sensitive, even kids comments at work have got to me and well getting me down a bit am coping but some days its difficult. Had few goes at OH he's bad tempered but getting mellower with age but have been giving him run for his money lately i was never like that. xx

Back