• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had buyer's remorse?

emmakc

Hi, I'm having my op on 17th and I'm getting a bit scared now. The last few days have been rough as I've started the pre-op diet and I've constantly been thinking am I doing the right thing, I'm struggling having 4 x weight watchers soups and 4 x muller light yoghurts a day - what will I be like when I physically can't eat!!!

So, my question is this... did you have buyer's remorse at any point and if so, when was it and how long did it last!

Thanks

Em x

Yes - about a week before the weight just started to shift regularly. Its very normal to be emotionally down after the op and very easy to worry when the losses aren't what you expect. I am now thrilled to bits with my bypass and results so far - I could never have achieved this on my own and I don't feel deprived or on a diet - I just stick to my restriction and focus on protein.

I have had a few moments where I thought what have I've done but really hasn't lasted long. The first day after the surgery I was shocked at how much it hurt but at the same time I was laughing because of the morphine I was high as a kite lol. I've felt that way when I had some sickness as I was adjusting to eating again in the early days and when I had my first emotional thing happen about 4 weeks post op. I was suddenly stunned as to what on earth I was meant to do when i couldn't eat my pain away. All 3 episodes passed, I stopped being sick, the pain past quickly and was very manageable with pain killers anyway and as for emotions I had to lump it and learnt a good lesson that the world doesn't end if you feel the hard bits in life. Now I'm over 2 months post op and the early days are out the way I have no regrets. In fact I'm really happy! I'm hoping that will just continue as time goes on and can't see why it won't. I'm sure those who are much further down the road will reassure you even for those moments that you will feel down, like anything that is hard but those times will be few and far in between for most people. Actually I've seen even people who have had a lot of problems still don't regret it in the long run. All the best for your op :) x

You know, I'm 15 days post op. those thoughts are normal. The closer my day approached, I'd just remind myself, I already paid, there's no turning back. The liquid diet isn't do hard, ad you don't get hungry, and then when u do, the liquids and protein drinks fill u up. I'm in Texas.
3rd week into liquids, I admit Im looking forward to a week of puréed food, then finally real food in limited portions. I can't for the swelling to go down and the weight to go down to start wearing all the sexy clothes I love.
But now and then, worries about my health, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

I'm feeling quite down as a result of the surgery at the moment, but I'm off to the docs as I have a history of depression so it's not really surprising. Bit like the fact my GP & I were prepared for post natal depression too.

I'll be 12 weeks post op tomorrow and I'm still not managing lots of different foods. I keep trying though and if something isn't good today I'll try again in a few weeks. It's the head stuff that's the problem, not the physical. You won't feel hungry post op so no need to worry about that.

My health problems have improved which is the whole point of me having the surgery in the first place and the added bonus is the smaller clothes I'm wearing and the self confidence that I now have.

No matter what my head is doing, overall I do not regret having surgery.

I do!

I wish I had my op years ago.

Hi
Yes just before surgery!! And just after had a few blue days but now not at all don't regret at all! Xx

Yes at like 2/3 days out thinking wtf have I done, this is forever! only lasted a couple of days however because the weight comes off and you can't not smile :)

Yes the same as most for just a few days and then again when I couldn't eat much, but now I can eat a little plate full of food and I'm full I feel much better and don't regret my decision one bit x

Post op sleeve. No regrets whatsoever. I am just a bit worried about the future ie when I get older. There is still little data on how we will cope with the nutritional challenges in old age. Bariatric surgery is still relatively new medicine but growing year by year. In saying that having the op means I have more chance of living to a ripe old age as I am sure I would have had weight related old age issues & more chance if heart attack, stroke etc.
Just love my sleeve.

Hi ;)
I am in those early days too, wondering if it's going to be the right decision so this post has really helped, the way I am looking at it is that I am already at risk of many problems being this obese, so things can only get better X

Hi ;)
I am in those early days too, wondering if it's going to be the right decision so this post has really helped, the way I am looking at it is that I am already at risk of many problems being this obese, so things can only get better X
No regrets here. Agree with you Shabbs. My GP was great, NHS funding as always out of the question for me, but she was supportive of my decision. She said I was fortunate to have got to 22 stone and still have good blood pressures cholesterol, sugars, etc and if I didn't do something my vital signs and health could only go one way - down! Honest exchange coupled with realisation that if I spent next 10 years trying to get slimmern(as I have the past 10 years) I would be nearly 60. Like others have said my only regret really is not having done this sooner. Tracey xxx

No regrets at all

Maybe I am one if the lucky ones who have had hardly any problems.

The worst part for me was I developed thrush after a few days, but with treatment soon cleared.

I am eight month post op and seven stones lighter and can honestly say life is great.

Stick with it and I am sure you will feel fab too xx

Tracey1404 said:
No regrets here. Agree with you Shabbs. My GP was great, NHS funding as always out of the question for me, but she was supportive of my decision. She said I was fortunate to have got to 22 stone and still have good blood pressures cholesterol, sugars, etc and if I didn't do something my vital signs and health could only go one way - down! Honest exchange coupled with realisation that if I spent next 10 years trying to get slimmern(as I have the past 10 years) I would be nearly 60. Like others. Have said my only regret really is not having done this sooner. Tracey xxx

Tracey I am the same as you at the moment I am fit other then my weight, no additional problems I have been trying to loose weight for 10 years too!
And am the same weight as you, what stage are you at? X

Tracey I am the same as you at the moment I am fit other then my weight, no additional problems I have been trying to loose weight for 10 years too!
And am the same weight as you, what stage are you at? X
Was operated on 2 days ago - so in early recovery but determined it will work!

Kidderminster nr Worcester, and you?

Aww bless you, how are you feeling, where do you come from? X
& meant to say in last post that feeling okay, just sore and a bit tired. Nothing I didn't expect, and better than I'd thought. Just impatient to get back to feeling 100%. T xxx

Tracey1404 said:
& meant to say in last post that feeling okay, just sore and a bit tired. Nothing I didn't expect, and better than I'd thought. Just impatient to get back to feeling 100%. T xxx

I'm from Bristol, glad it was better then you thought and wishing you a super fast recovery, have you got a diary I can follow? X

Even those people who have had a hell of a time post op and, although not many there are some, all seem to not regret it in the longer term. 3.5 years out I am a lucky one who had no physical problems, lost all their weight and had plastics and loves the new them. BUT its still a struggle they didn't mend my head and every day I wage the war against my desire to overeat. I still don't regret a minute of it and will struggle til the day I die to keep the weight at bay, it was a living death at 32st+ and I love my bypass for taking that away from me.

Good luck with your op

Back