• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

really struggling

emmakc

Hi everyone, I started my two week pre-op diet today. I'm having a bypass privately on 17th August. At my hospital, we can have up to 4 weight watchers soups and up to 4 mullerlight yoghurts a day and nothing else apart from liquids (you can also have milk but I don't drink milk).

I know this is crazy cos its two weeks of my life but I'm struggling so much. I'm bloody starving (both literally and emotionally) for food. I'm starting to wonder if I want the bypass as I'm miserable today what's it going to be like when I physically can't eat.

Hi everyone, I started my two week pre-op diet today. I'm having a bypass privately on 17th August. At my hospital, we can have up to 4 weight watchers soups and up to 4 mullerlight yoghurts a day and nothing else apart from liquids (you can also have milk but I don't drink milk).

I know this is crazy cos its two weeks of my life but I'm struggling so much. I'm bloody starving (both literally and emotionally) for food. I'm starting to wonder if I want the bypass as I'm miserable today what's it going to be like when I physically can't eat.
oh honey, just think of all the lovely clothes you will be able wear soon! and how much you would regret it if u messed up and couldnt have the op!
we all go through the "do i really want/need the op", but to come this far you must want/need it. How will you be next summer? still fat, hot, wearing tents and wishing to god you had gone through with it. Of course, you may really decide not to, and if you do, i wish you all the very best in losing weight on your own :) xxx

Also, after day 3 the pre op diet gets a lot easier xxx

wise words caren. you can do it emmakc.keep yourself busy. remember you wont feel all that hungry, and you physically wont be able to eat too much. so it'll be easier after op. we're all routing for you!

Keep going my lovely, you can do this.
Dont over think it all and try and think what a positive thing you are doing xx

Hi emmakc

I am doing the same pre op diet as you, its day 2 for me ... Are you allowed to have sugar free jelly ??? I am finding this good in evening when it gets to about 9pm..

Keep it at and dont quit, it will be worth it :)

Nicky xx

I'm strugglingand had exactly the same thoughts as you Hun but like everyone has said keep going its all,worth it, go luck xxx

Fill up on hot drinks,coffee did it for me and after day three/four it gets easier.dont forget we have all gone through it and come out the other side a lot lighter!best of luck.Maz x

What you're feeling is so normal. Take a deep breath and carry on. It's not the same after surgery, you don't feel the same hungry. It's 100 worth every second thought you're getting. This time in a year you'll read these responses back and be so glad you stuck with it.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Emmakc

Hows the pre op diet going ??
I see you are having your bypass the same day as me, where are you having yours done ???

Nicky xx

Hi everyone thanks so much for your comments. I'm on day three now, feeling better although it still is far from easy! I have three children so I'm still dealing with normal food all day!

Yesterday was a mare, I had a thumping headache but I feel better today. Although I do keep panicking that I'm doing the right thing.

For those that have done it - do the cravings stop? Its hard to explain what I mean, yesterday I had a nap and woke up really miserable because I wanted french stick and ice cream (not together)! I'm hoping that after the op I just won't crave things like that.

I don't really eat for hunger so its not that I'm always hungry I just eat anyway and I get major cravings - probably same for everyone, when I've tried to diet I'm really good all day then the cravings get the better of me in the evening and I pig out.

Nickynoodles - I'm having mine at St Anthony's in Cheam, Surrey (Mr Fiennes), what about you?

I know how you feel. I'm on Day 5 of pre opp milk diet. I don't feel hungry most of the time, but did fell really dizzy for the first two days. I find the smell of food hardest. Fill up on liquids. Sugar free jelly is good. Good luck, it will all be worth it. I've heard someone say that this part is the hardest of all and that it gets much easier after the op has been done

OOoo emmamk, i am at St Anthonys in Cheam :D, but Andrew Wan doing my operation..

I started pre op diet 2 days early so am on day 4, finding it hard today.. Just about to have my soup and a yoggy..

Nicky xx

No way, we're going to be in there together!! What made you choose St Anthony's? Do you live locally?

Haha, sorry just seen you live in Kent!

Last edited:
Hi Emmack

Kent farms out weight loss surgery to other hospitals, (mainly in london )so logistically St Georges Hopsital was the easiest on to drive to.. Because they were so behind they do operations at St Anthonys so got sent there ... Its been a long time coming for me, since gps 1st referral for funding its been 2.5 years.

I havent been to St Anthonys group, although i do go a meet in Chatham thats held monthly for gastric and plastic..

have a good day today Emmack ... iam gonna try and keep busy as im craving food today..

Nicky xx

I'm doing much better today food wise although the nerves are starting to kick in. I've got three children (two are still in nappies) - my main concern is that I won't survive (which my surgeon promises me I will) and then I'm worried what life will be like immediately after surgery when I come home and hit reality of children and work!!

Nicky - I'll probably see you wandering the halls at St Anthony's!! Its a really lovely hospital, I used to have BUPA at my last job and had some fertility treatment there - the food is to die for (sadly that won't be included lol).

emma, I was 26 stone on my op day. You're very light for someone having the bypass - complications only usually happen with serious comorbidities. You should be absolutely fine, and although I know its a worry, you've got to turn this on its head and convince yourself you will wake up - your mental state will help your body heal.

Back