• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

anyone having their op by dr Chris Byrne in Belgium?

patricia2612

Hi everyone! I have my op booked with the wls group in Belgium with dr Chris Byrne on the 2 Nov this year. I'm so nervous about it all... Anyone going to Belgium or been to Belgium for their op, I would appreciate anyone's response :)

joffy01582

we were looking at sending my OH over there for a band but we decided to go to chelsfield park instead for her bypass

Josiegirl

I know a few people who have been with Dr Chris in Belgium. They all had gastric bands so don't know about his bypass record. He is very highly qualified and has clinics in Scotland and London for aftercare, fills etc.

The only drawback I have heard about going to Belgium is the journey home which seems to have been extremely uncomfortable for some. This is not personal experience though and just what they have told me.

patricia2612

Hi josiegirl, thank you for your response! I forgot to mention I'm actually having the gastric band too. Has anyone mentioned any tips on making the journey back home more comfortable? Thank you x

patricia2612

Hi Denise, thank you for your response. How did you find the travelling home from Belgium? Did dr Chris have a discussion with you about foods you should avoid post op? Did you have your own room? Sorry I have so many questions...x

Denise sian

Hello again, yes he does advise on what foods to eat and avoid post op. Just stick to soft foods until stomach has settled. The journey home can be uncomfortable but not painfull as such as you will be tender around the stomach and you need to take it slowly when walking. If you can just make sure you take pain killers beforehand and these will help.
It will all be worth it, just ask him all the questions you need to.

patricia2612

Hi Denise, I just wondered did you experience a lot of pain after your op? Just got back from Belgium today and am in absolute agony, especially where the port is. Did you get this? It seems to be a lot of wind too because I can't stop burping...

suebland

Hi there
I think it is trapped wind Hun, I have been reading on this now weeks and peppermint tea helps most people, I am having my op tomorrow (the band) and really scared now, how did you find your op??? Hope you feel better soon x

patricia2612

I won't lie I was also terrified I was in floods of tears, but the surgeon was so understanding. He told me everything went perfectly and then I had an X-ray yesterday so I could see where the band was etc. I am experiencing pain but the pain has been getting milder each day. Please do let me know how you get on and wishing you the best of luck hun x

suebland

Thank you Hun, just setting off now but of a journey, we could help each other on our journey you need peppermint tea x

suebland

Thank you Patricia I am 4th in line and 3rd one just gone up, hope your feeling better today Hun, I will get in touch when I can by email, thanks for that xx

suebland

Well not happy been here now since 7am 2 nurses have come into see me in all that time, gave me wrong tights to wear, told me I am fourth now have to wait another hour or so cause some person wants to go home tonight, went to see wat was going I and half the nurses were watching tv and half sat leaning at a desk, I really hope my after care is better than before my op cause I am just shut away for 6 hours wi just 2 visits from the nurses joke!!!!

patricia2612

I don't think they realise how nervous people can get and that is really annoying, I would feel frustrated but hun try to blank that out and concentrate on just getting the op out if the way. I think they are just so used to people coming in and out that they don't take the time to concentrate on people individually which is a real shame. I know exactly how you feel hun its bloody scary. You will be absolutely fine though.. I'm here whenever you fancy a chat I could do with a friend right now too who's going through the same thing as me...good luck hun and ill be thinking of you x x oh and I'm still in pain but much better than yesterday, I'm hoping it will get easier (pain wise)

suebland

Hi I have done it private 5,995 at the hospital group in Birmingham I will email you my details mobile etc and we can get thro this together x

bexxx1978

Hello, I hope all goes well, can you try and keep updating as and when - i'm due to have my band in Belgium on 16 Nov and would love to know what to expect!

Good luck!

Bex x