• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone on her medically qualified

Paul-H

Hi all

Is there anyone on this site that is medically qualified.

If yes I have a question

Before I had my wls I was taking Zomorph for my Arthritis pain at a dose of 60mg twice a day which kept my pain under control, now that I have had a bypass I can no longer take Zomorph as I was told slow release medication does not work well with a bypass. My GP changed me over to Butrans patches as recommended by my WLS team. The trouble is even though I am on the highest dose of Butrans 20mgh they are having no effect on my pain. So what does should I be on to get the same level of pain management that I was getting when I was on Zomorph.

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul

Not medically qualified but i would suggest that you contact your g.p as the dose could differ according to your weight/stature and other medications that you may be taking, i think that would be your best option at this time
x I wish you all the best for some pain relife soon, take care xx

Hi Paul
You can also get immediate release morphine tablets, they are called sevredol. Other transdermal patches are available so I would suggest going back to the GP. Hope this helps :)

Hi Paul
"Chronic pain" is not my area of expertise - however I am a prescriber - Why can you not have Oromorph? Are you taking paracetamol with your patches? As this will enhance the effect of them - perhaps as the weight comes off the pain will ease anyway. Your local pharmacist should have a chart that shows all the opiate drugs, and the differing doses needed for same effect.
Hope that has been of some help?!
Danni
x

Hi Dani

I was on Oromorph and it was changed to Zomorph as it was better for my type of pain and I was fine on Zomorph, but I had to change as it didn't work to well after my bypass as it was travelling through my system too fast and only half was being absorbed and as I was on 60mg twice a day it would have needed bumping upto 120mg twice a day just to stay at the same level, and as my GP is being investigated because one of his patients had stockpiled his morphine and tried to kill himself he obviously suddenly got the jitters about upping mine. My Bariatric surgeon recommended the patches and the ones I have been given are the strongest available of that type but at only 20mgh I am not getting any relief at all.

I don't take Paracetamol as I was on Codydramol for years and not only is my body well used to it I dont want to risk any more liver damage than I have already probably done.

I will make an appointment to see him to discuss my options but I cannot get to see him for about three weeks.

I do have a few Zomorph left over so think I will go back on them until then just to get some relief.

Hi Paul
The paracetamol won't have damaged your liver, it's the best organ in the body to rejuvenate - I promise you the paracetamol with an opiate will improve its effect. Have you tried the patches in different places? Perhaps you should ask for a referral to the pain clinic as you are probably rather complex for the GP to deal with no your post by-pass?
I hope you get some relief soon .
xxx

I phoned my GP today for an appointment to get this sorted and the earliest one I could get was the 5th July, good job it's not urgent then isn't it.

Paul

Back