• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone suffered any hair loss?

lynne08

I tend to be a bit of a worrier and I've heard mention that there is a possibility of some hair loss following surgery. I was just wondering if any of you lovely lucky post oppers have suffered with this? just need to know if I need to add it to my worry list along with the anticipated spots that I've been reading about! it's best to have all the facts and no surprises! ;-) x

I have not had any hair loss as yet but yes my dietician did say it was possible in some cases. Usually it is just thinning though, no bald patches x

that's reassuring suzz69uk! thanks x

Yes starts shedding about 5 months out then comes back at 9 months.Depends where in the life of a hair the hair is at!

Clare your hair that is coming out will of been ready to drop anyway,its just all at once makes it seem so much!

Yes hair does tend to fall out when losing lots of weight (had it with Cambridge as well as wls). My hair was thick so no one noticed but me. It's now all grown back but have noticed it's more wavy whereas I had dead straight hair before! I tried every hair supplement going but nothing worked until I started eating more and the weight loss slowed x

I lost quite a lot of hair during months 3-4 or so, but it has stopped now. I have a lot of thick hair so it wasn't too noticeable. Most people notice a bit of hair loss, but hopefully nothing too dramatic.

I have lost a lot of hair and have been losing it for months. I am lucky that I have thick wavy hair so nobody else really notices it. When I shower the plug hole gets so clogged it is unbelievable and I have to de-hair my brush every few days, it forms a thick mat on the brush. I can see the new baby hair which is replacing the lost hair and it is about an inch and a half long now, as your hair falls out new hair almost immediately follows. Your hair folicle isnt damaged at all so it functions properly. So please try not to worry, life is too short! Your hair will fall out evenly and not in clumps, and it will grow back evenly and healthily. This has happened to me before when I was having chemotherapy. It grew back then too.
Try not to worry. Get your worry list, cross everything out on it and then put it at the bottom of a seldom used drawer. The best thing to do with bothersome worries is not to worry about them!!!!!!
Most things you cant do anything about anyway.
Lynne x

Last edited:
wow! thank you all for your lovely and honest comments, and Lynne, you are right about life being too short :). at least I know what could happen now and it's only a short term problem. small price to pay for being thinner and healthier I suppose. xxx

Hair Loss

Hi there.

I started to notice my hair thinning a few weeks ago. I am 5 months post op.

I had REALLY thick hair before the bypass so it isn't really noticeable to anyone else. It just seems about 30 - 40% thinner than before. I used to have to have it thinned out at the hairdressers every time I had a trim. I no longer have to have this done :D

My pony tails are a lot thinner and I can now wrap the hair bobble around them almost twice as much as before.

The only disadvantage is having to vacuum more often and pick the hair off my pillows each morning :cry:

Each time I wash or brush my hair the hairbrush is full of loose hair and also the plug drain gets clogged up.

Jay

Sounds just like mine Jay, my team have prescribed zink. I haven't got the prescription yet so I dont know what form it is going to be in.
Lynne x

thanks girls! really useful information. I too have thick hair although short so hopefully if it does happen it won't be too noticeable. also as far as I can gather from you all, it will grow back anyway. xxx

Hi Lynne
I had very thick hair and lost a lot of it when I lost weight using Lighterlife.

I have noticed that my hair loss has started again - my surgeon told me that if this happens to take zinc and selenium. I bought effervescent zinc and selenium in tablet form from a reputable online chemist and started taking them on Thursday - hopefully my locks will improve Now!

Jxx

Hi Julie, i'm glad you are getting it sorted out.
When I spoke to the nurse at my doctors surgery last week she said that the strength of zink and selenium that was needed post op is much stronger than you can get over the counter and that a prescribed one would be better.
I wonder if you are getting enough? When I get mine i will pm you and let you know the stats for the prescribed ones and we can compare. I will probably know on Wednesday.
Lynne x

Hi Julie, i'm glad you are getting it sorted out.
When I spoke to the nurse at my doctors surgery last week she said that the strength of zink and selenium that was needed post op is much stronger than you can get over the counter and that a prescribed one would be better.
I wonder if you are getting enough? When I get mine i will pm you and let you know the stats for the prescribed ones and we can compare. I will probably know on Wednesday.
Lynne x

Hi Wizzbang
Thanks for your comment
You are right re needing much higher doses than those who take it as a general supplement.
I was told by the surgeon that I needed to take 125mg of Zinc three times a day (I take the effervescent form) and 20mcg (microgrammes) of Selenium twice a day for 6 months. The zinc was very expensive, it cost me £24 for a months supply the Selenium was £6 for a months supply.
I am going to make an appointment with my GP next month for another Fasttab prescription (I have moved area and it's a new GP) so I will be asking her if she will give me a script for the Zinc otherwise it is going to cost me a
fortune!
My hair loss after the Lighterlife never improved, and to be honest I can't
afford to lose too much more as I'll end up as bald as a coot ;).
Hopefully the Zinc and Selenium will help.
Hope you get sorted!

Jxx

Last edited:
Back