• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Atkins in Post op land!

Cool Neen they look good. Once I get my band issues resolved I am really going to throw everything into low carbing proper. I feel so much better for it even with the problems I am having.

Neen where did you get the sugar free lemon curd from?

tranquil x

I know you will hun! I will roadtest more recipes for ya x
I got the lemon curd from lowcarbmegastore , it's quite zingy , I like it.
Jok n Al Lemon Curd | Low Carb Megastore
It has got fruit sugars in but a lot less carbs than regular.
I am thinking lemon meringue pie at some point! I found a flax/almond crust recipe and of course , meringues aren't too hard with some splenda I guess! YUM!!!

I am making almond bread for Dean and I tomorrow hopefully so I will try and take pics of that and post the recipe I used if it comes out nice.....mmm poached egg on toast would truly rock x

I think it's fantastic that the low carb eating has already made some difference in how you feel, hopefully getting the immediate problem with your band sorted will give you lots of yummy low carb food ahead and lots more well being and slimness for you and Mr TB x I am crossing everything I am able to for that x

I know you will hun! I will roadtest more recipes for ya x
I got the lemon curd from lowcarbmegastore , it's quite zingy , I like it.
Jok n Al Lemon Curd | Low Carb Megastore
It has got fruit sugars in but a lot less carbs than regular.
I am thinking lemon meringue pie at some point! I found a flax/almond crust recipe and of course , meringues aren't too hard with some splenda I guess! YUM!!!

I am making almond bread for Dean and I tomorrow hopefully so I will try and take pics of that and post the recipe I used if it comes out nice.....mmm poached egg on toast would truly rock x

I think it's fantastic that the low carb eating has already made some difference in how you feel, hopefully getting the immediate problem with your band sorted will give you lots of yummy low carb food ahead and lots more well being and slimness for you and Mr TB x I am crossing everything I am able to for that x

Those recipes sound lush. Thanks for the lemon curd link. I love lemon meringue pie, you will have to let me know how it turns out if you try it.

tranquil x

OK today I made Almond bread as follows

I was able to follow this as written as I bought a set of american measuring cups from amazon a while ago...very good investment as it saves fiddling about when using these online recipes , they were around £4 , not more than that I don't think!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-W...VF64/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307538505&sr=1-3

Photos not on the PC yet but will follow shortly,... it didn't rise too well because the original recipe said baking soda and I went for bicarb (I have bicarb and baking powder so not sure what they mean exactly being an american source) I think it needs baking powder so that's what I shall suggest

Almond loaf

almondbread.jpg

bit fuzzy sorry!

1/4 cup melted coconut oil
8oz cream cheese (I used plain philadephia)
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder (I used bicarb and it went a bit flat)
1/4 tsp salt
2 and a half cups ground almonds

Heated my oven to about 180 (it's fan assisted turbo nutter type so I tend to hovver in the kitchen and check things rather than follow given timings)

Put first five ingredients in a bowl and mix til creamy (I used an electric mixer)
Add the almond and mix thoroughly.

I put my mixture into a standard/largish loaf tin that I greased with plenty of butter.

Then baked in the middle of the oven until it was golden on top and a knife came out of the centre clean.

You leave it to relax & cool for a bit before slicing but mine having not risen, sliced OK when it was still pretty hot (3 males crowing round to have a taste!!)
Really nice with butter straight out the oven, but a little lighter to eat toasted.x

Kitchen still smells fantastic!! As a bander I was only able to eat a small amount..it's really dense and tasty

Last edited:
Morning all... still ticking along, weight is maintaining still unable to get below my lowest weight, think my body is putting up a strong fight!

Just thought I would copy over this list of foods to help with ketosis from Minis

Safe Foods (No Carbs/Trace Carbs)

Beef, Steak, Hamburger, Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, Roast Beef, Chicken*, Duck, Any Fish*, Tuna*, Salmon*, Trout*, Halibut*, Lamb, Pork, Bacon, Ham, Eggs, Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Butter, Oils (Olive Oil*, Flaxseed oil*, etc.), Mustard, Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Tea, Coffee, Heavy Cream and Nutrasweet/Equal.

Minimal Carb Foods (Limited Quantities Only, Check Carb Content!)

Broccoli*, Spinach*, Lettuce*, Cabbage*, Bok Choy*, Kale*, Asparagus*, Mustard Greens*, Mushrooms*, Cucumbers*, Pickles*, Celery*, Green Beans*, Brussel Sprouts*, Cauliflower*, Artichokes*, Peppers* (Red, Green, Jalapeno, Habanero), Onions*, Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)*, Radicchio and endive, Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme etc, Radishes*, Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)*, Jicama*, Avocado*, Asparagus*, Green Beans and Wax Beans*, Broccoli*, Summer Squash, Zuchinni*, Scallions or green onions*, Bamboo Shoots*, Leeks*, Brussels Sprouts*, Snow Peas (pods)*, Tomatoes*, Eggplant*, Tomatillos*, Artichokes*, Fennel*, Okra*, Spaghetti Squash*, Celery Root (Celeriac)*, Turnip*, Water Chestnuts*, Pumpkin*, Nuts, Flaxseeds*, Cheeses, Salami, Pastrami, Hot Dogs, Sausages, Ribs (watch out for the sauce!), Buffalo Wings, Liverwurst, Oysters, Abalone, Protein Powders, Sugar Free Jello, Salad Dressings (some), some Wines.

Higher Carb Foods (Very Limited Quantities!)

Grapefruit*, Lemons*, Limes*, Strawberries*, Olives*, Rasberries*, Blackberries*, Kiwis*, plums*, oranges*, pears*, pineapple*

Foods that are NOT appropriate.

Beer, Mixed drinks, Bread, Milk, Pasta, Grains, Cereal, Rice, Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, Peas, Candy, Cake, Cheesecake, biscuits, Donuts, Fruit Juices, High Carb Fruits (Apricots, grapes, Bananas, Peaches, Nectarines, cherries, Pomegranates, Mangos, Figs, Dried Fruit, such as dates, raisins, dried apricots, and prunes etc.), Pastries, Non-Diet Soft Drinks, Rolls, Bagels, Popcorn, Battered Foods (Fried Chicken, etc.), Gravy, Honey, Sugar, chocolate and Corn Syrup.

Notes: Diet Soft Drinks, such as Diet Coke, Diet 7-Up, and Diet Pepsi can usually be consumed in large quantities, but the citric acid content in these drinks can throw some people out of ketosis. Be sure to check in your individual case if this happens. Hard liquor, such as scotch, vodka, etc can be consumed because they have virtually no carbs. Wine actually makes a nice ketogenic alcoholic drink, as most wines have only 1-6 grams of carbs per glass, the sweeter the wine, the more carbs. Beer is usually very high in carbs, having 10-15 grams per glass. Watch out though, when you're in ketosis your blood sugar will be very low, and the alcohol will have a more pronounced effect.

Thanks Neen... I don't ever remember buying 12's before, must have rushed thru them at some stage!! Loose skin is now starting to get me down, my thighs are not pretty & I'd love to get back into swimming but am so concious(sp) about them.... guess we can't have it all ways tho. xx

How are yr boys today? x

I'm sure it will adjust xxx Specially if you exercise x
Mine is going to be horrendous once I have lost the whole 16 stone excess...but I think I'll live with it if I can get that far down...see what the NHS will do for me when I get that far I think (crossing everything here)

My boys are 2 sick and one OK for now. It's been dragging on with Dean since last thurs poor thing . Hopefully he's improving a bit today but it's a really nasty virus and I'm just praying the kids don't get it x

Hi Neen and Linzi. Neen the list you put up is great but I am a bit confused about the strawberries etc because I thought they were lower carb?

Th almond cake with lemon curd and cream sounds delicious. What does it work out carb wise?

tranquil x

Hiya I did pinch this from the Exante bit so I think refer to your Atkins book to double check. I haven't had time to go back over and edit it yet (chaos at my house and yes I have caught something off one of the walking wounded)
I don't think the cream has notable carbs, and the amount of curd was only about 1 or 2 for the serving I had...about 6 for the slice with toppings?
You honestly can't eat much of that almond bread, it's so dense but also moist due to the coconut oil

Thanks. I must admit I have not eaten bread or tried anything cake like since the op. Might give the loaf a go in a few months.

Hope you feel better soon - poor you it must be awful.

tranquil x

Well it's a pain being unable to take the bug away, specially from the youngest. He's so frail looking (super skinny little hyper chap) when he's ill.
I would definately add splenda to the mix for an actual cake, then the worlds your oyster in terms of tweaking it ...adding sugarfree syrups/cocoa/coffee etc for various different cake delights.
There's one on this page actually that looks super easy

scroll down the link below a wee bit to find it

Strawberry Sponge Cake

Ingredients:
100g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons of double cream

Method:
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter I used a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, cream, then add the dry ingredients and mix. Microwave in a 700watt for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and cut in half. Spread on extra thick cream and some sliced strawberries. Serves four. Less than five carbs per portion

just go gently if you are tight band wise though
www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk - Recipes

Some other fantastic goodies from these places that I must try too!!
Low Carb Luxury: Recipes - Treats and Desserts
The choc cake made with black beans on here just looks fantastic
Healthy Indulgences

Back