• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 injection

where do they give you the injection? would i have to make sure i was wearing my decent knickers? :)

Bev said:
Good luck Jacci and hope you are feeling better today.

Why is B12 only given post menopausal Rose? Does anyone know please? I would have thought there was an advantage for everyone to have this post bypass? Forgive my ignorance... I'm continually learning from you all. Thank you.

Love and hugs xxx

Bev... I was told it's not necessary after the menopause. But it seems my surgeon doesn't deem it necessary anyway.. go figure ! LOL. My iron levels have been fine without it.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I had one at my check up and got told to make an appointment to see my GP for another one in 3 months. Apparently this is the new guide line as quite a few people who have had the bypass have had a B12 deficiency after 6 months. This way they are hoping to reduce the incidence of it. Kath said that those who had the sleeve would also have the injection as they haven't enough data yet to find out the incidence.

Thank you everyone, thanks to you all, there are more questions to ask post surgery and this will be another...

Couldn't have learned all of this from a book!

Thank you everyone, love you all xxx

I had to have mine like this at first, it is a pain and really annoying having to visit the GP so much - I broke out in spots after the course !!!!

Its back to one every three months now.

xx

Thanks. I'll make sure my GP chases this up :)

My provider recommends them from 6 months post-op at 3 monthly intervals...although one may need them sooner if anaemic....as for the nurse 'being adamant' that you need these 6 injections over two weeks, how on earth can she insist on it if you haven't had any bloods done? Is she secretly psychic? Over-dosing on B12 can cause all sorts of horrible side-effects, like skin rashes, upset tum, sickness, headaches, joint pain, insomnia....I could go on! I think you should insist on bloods being taken & the results being back before you let this nurse bully you into something you don't actually know if you need yet....after all you are only slowly getting back on an even keel, you don't need anything else that will make you feel ill, you've been suffering long enough! xxxx

My provider recommends them from 6 months post-op at 3 monthly intervals...although one may need them sooner if anaemic....as for the nurse 'being adamant' that you need these 6 injections over two weeks, how on earth can she insist on it if you haven't had any bloods done? Is she secretly psychic? Over-dosing on B12 can cause all sorts of horrible side-effects, like skin rashes, upset tum, sickness, headaches, joint pain, insomnia....I could go on! I think you should insist on bloods being taken & the results being back before you let this nurse bully you into something you don't actually know if you need yet....after all you are only slowly getting back on an even keel, you don't need anything else that will make you feel ill, you've been suffering long enough! xxxx

It was a male nurse & as you know men know everything ;) The female nurse said she had a bypass patient the week before who didn't need the top up doses but he waved his hand at her to shut her up! Ha, ha

I've been told that 50 grams of carbs puts our bodies in ketosis (fat burning mode) :)

apparantly bypass patients cant absorb vit b12 orally, and its similar to iron, which is why they give you a jab every 3 months, i must admit, i felt the difference after my first one, and when i was due for my 2nd one, i started getting more tired again, it was that that made me look when it was due, im on the menopause, but have had a hysterectomy so dont actually know how far into it i am. i think every team have their own ideas.

apparantly bypass patients cant absorb vit b12 orally, and its similar to iron, which is why they give you a jab every 3 months, i must admit, i felt the difference after my first one, and when i was due for my 2nd one, i started getting more tired again, it was that that made me look when it was due, im on the menopause, but have had a hysterectomy so dont actually know how far into it i am. i think every team have their own ideas.

How long did it take you to feel more energetic? I got some decorating to do ;)

I have never had any B12 injections and queried it with my GP. Apparently B12 is vital for women during our fertile years which is why they prescribe it post-op but once we're post menopausal we don't need it. I wish someone had explained this to me earlier !

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Sorry Rose but your GP is talking twaddle! Lack of Vit B12 causes pernicious anaemia, which is quite common in the elderly and so lots of elderly people have to have regular Vit B12 injections!
Any nurse worth her salt would know this!
Grace xxx

I was feeling absolutelyu shicking coming up to my second injection though I'd just put it down to the effects of Op 2. After about a week I began to feel a vey definite improvement.
I've got decorating to do too! :)

Good to know about the carbs. I suspect I haven't been eating nearly enough, I've completely gone off carbs!
I tried to eat a bit of bagel today and nearly barfed! :eek:

hi jacci, i started to feel a bit better after a few days, but it wasnt a sudden wave of energy, just a slow progression, after about a week i suddenly realised that i didnt feel as sluggish, and i was ok for a while then started feeling a bit 'slow', and when i looked on the calendar i was coming up to 12 weeks since id had it. hope this helps huni, mind you if your gonna have a few of em, you should be running up and down ladders, putting paper up and painting all at the same time, lol. big hugs xxx

I had mine today but the nurse said she thinks I have to have a 'top up dose' which consists of me having 6 injections over a course of 2 weeks!!

I just thought I had to have one every 3 months. Nurse said I have to speak to my GP to get him to check.

Anyone got any info?

hi i went for mine today... had 6 dates/ appointments sorted. all now cancelled.
i was told you only need the 6 boosters if your bloods show you are low.
so i had my first today and will continue every 3-4 months.
x june
hope this helps

Hi , SRH said to my doc I needed them every three months , went to the nurse to get it and she said I needed five at first , so I had them , I had my bloods done and all came back fine , I didn't question her , I was fine with having them all xx

I have to take sublingual B-12 once a day. I only have to get injections if my bloods come back low. The sublingual's are awesome I take them in the morning and am energized all day. Since after bypass you don't absorb certain things in your pouch, they tell us to take the sublingual ones. You pop it under your tongue and it dissolves in a few seconds. It gets absorbed through the glands under your tongue and they taste pretty good.

oh thats good to know dee, i wonder if they do all drugs that way, cos they would get into your bloodstream quicker wouldnt they. i wonder if diclofenic, ibruprofin, etc could be taken like that, cos we cant take them in case of the ulcers they might cause. might ask my gp when i go and see her, thanks huni, hugs xx

dawny said:
oh thats good to know dee, i wonder if they do all drugs that way, cos they would get into your bloodstream quicker wouldnt they. i wonder if diclofenic, ibruprofin, etc could be taken like that, cos we cant take them in case of the ulcers they might cause. might ask my gp when i go and see her, thanks huni, hugs xx

I know you can get vitamin D-3 sublingually and also in liquid. And also iron because I was vit D deficient before surgery so they told be to do some sublingual after.

Has any had those Calcet chewy bites? They are the best chewable calcium citrates with d ever. Love them.

i have the adcal-d3 lemon chewable tablets, and theyre really nice, i find them quite refreshing.

Back