• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamin B12 Injection

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
Well after a lot of messing around, I have just had my first VB12 Jab. My Doctor told me to book an appointment with the nurse for my first VB12 Jab, so I did for last Friday. I went for it, and the Nurse asked me how many I had had, and I said it's my first, so she refused to give it to me, and said the Doctor has to give me the first one, so ok fair enough. booked an appointment for today with a doctor (Not my usual one), think he was a stand in, and he said right I'l write you a prescription, and you take it to the chemist for the VB12, then book another appointment with the Nurse to have it administered!
By this time I was getting pi55ed off, and told him that the nurse already has the VB12, and has refused to give it to me because it's my first, and said it has to be a doctor. at which point he asked me to return to the waiting room, whilst he spoke to the nurse. anyway, 10 mins later he called me back in, and told me I was right, and gave me the jab, which took all of 20 seconds. I now have to go back this Friday, for the second dose of it. :rolleyes:

What a carry on. :D

Aww excellent news! Can I ask Kim - what made you have vb12? How did you know you need it? and what vits do you take each day?

Aww excellent news! Can I ask Kim - what made you have vb12? How did you know you need it? and what vits do you take each day?
Its funny, because my GP did Blood Tests to see if I needed it, and the test came back normal, so ordinarily he would have said I didn't need it, but my consultant, wrote to my GP, and insisted that I have it every 3 Months, Go figure??? I take 2 Calcium tablets daily, and 1 centrum Multivitamin Tablet containing 27 separate Vitamins daily.

Kim my doctor's surgery are the same, they can't seem to make their mind up who should give me the injection! I have it too every three months even though my B12 levels have been fairly high since the op, they say to continue having it though as you can't overdose on it. How come you have to go back again for a second dose?

Cuppa xx

Hmm interesting!
I have 'normal' blood levels too (or I did at 6 months out) but my GP has given me, calcichew, iron, a prescribed mutivit, lasoprazole and now a separate vit b tablet. These were all dictated to me by the surgeon though...its soooo weird how we are all given different meds?!!?!?

Kim my doctor's surgery are the same, they can't seem to make their mind up who should give me the injection! I have it too every three months even though my B12 levels have been fairly high since the op, they say to continue having it though as you can't overdose on it. How come you have to go back again for a second dose?

Cuppa xx
Another good question??? not sure, the Doctor did not mention a second dose when I was there, the surgery phoned me when I got home and told me. I will be asking questions on Friday. :confused:

Hmm interesting!
I have 'normal' blood levels too (or I did at 6 months out) but my GP has given me, calcichew, iron, a prescribed mutivit, lasoprazole and now a separate vit b tablet. These were all dictated to me by the surgeon though...its soooo weird how we are all given different meds?!!?!?
It is very strange aint it?? I was taking Lanzoprozole, but my Consultant told me to stop taking them when I when to see him for my 2 month post op check up (10 March). :confused:

hi all
well i am a bit worried now i'm over 18 months post op and haven't had 1 B12 injection, it was mentioned by surgeon a while ago, but nothing since and have been feeling pretty ***** lately so am wondering if i should phone team and enquire whether i should have one. My blood tests have also come back ok recently, am on calcichew, pregaday (iron tabs) and sanotogen A-Z plus meds for depression and thyroxine,

The surgeon (Ammori) makes all his paients take lansops, iron, multivit and calcichew for life...crazy!?

hi all
well i am a bit worried now i'm over 18 months post op and haven't had 1 B12 injection, it was mentioned by surgeon a while ago, but nothing since and have been feeling pretty ***** lately so am wondering if i should phone team and enquire whether i should have one. My blood tests have also come back ok recently, am on calcichew, pregaday (iron tabs) and sanotogen A-Z plus meds for depression and thyroxine,
I would certainly speak to your WL Team hun. :)

The surgeon (Ammori) makes all his paients take lansops, iron, multivit and calcichew for life...crazy!?
That is weird, My Consultant was insistent that Lanzoprazole was not needed after 8 weeks post op. :confused:

We have 2 for first 6 months then 1 for life after.

I have my first B12 jab tomorrow, is it as uncomfortable as they say Kim?
I will be totally honest with you...I didn't feel a thing. had it in my right shoulder, and it was totally painless. :)

Its a bit of a minefield when it comes to surgeons,meds and vit B12 injections. I'm the same as Sal with Mr Ammori and he insists that vit B12 injections are not necessary unless your levels are very low! I take vit B complex tablets one a day and so far so good! Confused you will be its amazing how it varies x

My GP prescribed it for me last week when I went to see her - my surgeon's request. She said that sometimes they give a series of shots to start with, as a loading dose (sometimes up to six injections as close as four days apart) which helps build up the body's store.

My GP prescribed it for me last week when I went to see her - my surgeon's request. She said that sometimes they give a series of shots to start with, as a loading dose (sometimes up to six injections as close as four days apart) which helps build up the body's store.

Apparently this is in cases of pernicious aneamia - according to the medics website printout I got from the nurse at the surgery.

So unless any of us have really low stores, then we would be starting with the one injection. And then every 12 weeks
:)

the injection sting a wee bit after, as it has acetic acid in it.

I have one every 6 weeks.
I was very ill, with a big list of problems around jan time, and i had my bloods taken and my B12 range was 137, a normal range is 300-900.. i had a loading dose, and had 6 injections over 2 weeks and now i have them basically when i start feeling awful again, which is usually around 6 weeks.

i am supposed to take calcichew, multi vit and folic acid daily.

took lanzoprazole for i think 6 weeks, then was told i didnt need it any longer.

every dr differs. and even some people treated by the same dr get told diff things... everyone is diff pre op, and i think that has a lot to do with it, for example, if you suffered from heart burn etc etc im sure that would have something to do with what your told to take post op... but some of it i gues is a better safe than sorry thing

:)

.x.

Back