• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 Injections!!

mamma mia

Can anyone tell me if you are able to take B12 by tablet or does it have to be injection. I am not good with injections and had my bloods done on Friday, I asked about the B12 injection and the nurse told me to be prepared as it goes directly into your muscle:( does anyone know if it can be taken any other way please.
Lynn xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I think Holland and Barrett do B12 vitamins i am sure i saw them somewhere when i was looking for the protein stuff. xx

Taking B12 via a tablet is not a substitute for the injections. At the moment, the only way of getting the required amount of long lasting B12 is via the injection, although in the USA they have a licenced product that can be taken orally, which we hopefully will get in the UK as soon as legal/licensing issues are sorted. So you will have to grin and bear injections for now, or risk getting unwell. It is one of the conditions we all buy into when we agree to this surgery I'm afraid!

I havent been told anything yet about having to have these, I wouldnt mind the injection I have enough probs with all the vit pills we have to take, Infact i dont get them all in on a daily basis - I hope you get sorted out xx

Doughie said:
I havent been told anything yet about having to have these, I wouldnt mind the injection I have enough probs with all the vit pills we have to take, Infact i dont get them all in on a daily basis - I hope you get sorted out xx

I struggle aswell but I am trying my best, I wish we cud have more injections instead of trying to swallow huge tablets n am a nitemare takes ages to swallow each tablet. I do get the B12 injection due 2nd end march maybe mention it nxt time ur at ur doctors xx

I was told by the hospital dietician yesterday that the vitamins I purchased and was struggling to force down me were too big - so she is asking my GP to prescribe liquid ones.

Also, she said not everyone has to have B12 injections. The baseline blood tests should tell if they are needed or not. Get as much in naturally as you can Lynn and you might be lucky xx

I was well aware about the B12 injection before I "went into it" however been told it goes straight into your muscle and it's not pleasant doesn't help when you already have a fear in the first place doesn't exactly help!! However was simply asking if there was an alternative.

I am fine with injections but honestly there has never been any pain when I got my B12 shot...the nurse said it should be put in slowly. Believe me the benefit of the injection outway any negatives.

Eat well and you shouldnt need them,Im nearly a year out and not needed one yet!Also be prepared for the Heparin/Clexane injections in your tum after surgery.They dont hurt at all and you get used to doing them every morning.I had to do them for a month postop as my surgeon didnt use surgical stockings.Your doc may work differently.My hubby has them and feels fantastic after them,you can get really tired and listless if you need b12.

Ah thanks hoping I might not need them then, I was ok self injecting when I came home from hospital xx

Im almost 10 weeks post op and my biartric team havnt mentioned B12 injections and ive not had any xx

Oh that's made me feel better already:) fingers, toes, arms,legs and eyes crossed then lol xxxx

I have a b12 injeciton every three months and I never feel it going in or any soreness afterwards.
I do feel the benefits of it and know when it has worn off.
Lynne x

Ahhhh pop round mine I will do them if you need them!! I am very gentle, never even make the pre schoolers cry when they have their jabs before school, they are into the muscle. Sure if you need them you will get used to them after a while xx

I am 26 months post RNY and I have never needed a B12 injection.

Hello I'm 7 months post op & my last two blood tests have shown high b12! Which isn't good either but the doctor thinks its cause I'm taking biotin and the sublingual b12 from holland & barrett so I've stopped these & im getting more tests next month x

Back