• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band, bypass or Sleeve?? which is better for post-op pregnancy?

farzu

I am very confused now. At first i thought i should go with bypass, then i heard that pregnancy after bypass is dangerous. I thought about Band as with the band the filling can be removed when pregnant but after a long chat with a private company who informed me about sleeve i am very confused now. I don't know what to choose of which one is better as i want to have kids later. I know private companise would like to to choose the one that costs more lol. please advice what should i choose. I quite like the sleeve as it doesn't need any after care or fillings like band every 3 weeks. :confused:

there are a few people on here who have had babies after a bypass so some one should be along soon to answer your question. hope you find your answers soon. take care.

Salski is pregnant at the moment and she had a bypass so maybe she has some advice for you. Im sure she will be along soon :D x Good Luck x

Poppycock :)

Pregnancy after a bypass is not dangerous, I was told by my surgical team that I was far healthier post op for pregnancy than I ever was pre-op!

There is a tiny risk of the growing uterus catching on the 'Y' section of the bypassed intestine, however this is miniscule and to my obstetrician, not even worth worrying about!

You might need help getting enough calories in, through some low sugar high calorie supplement drinks, but baby will always be fine as they take what they need from you first.

I am very confused now. At first i thought i should go with bypass, then i heard that pregnancy after bypass is dangerous. I thought about Band as with the band the filling can be removed when pregnant but after a long chat with a private company who informed me about sleeve i am very confused now. I don't know what to choose of which one is better as i want to have kids later. I know private companise would like to to choose the one that costs more lol. please advice what should i choose. I quite like the sleeve as it doesn't need any after care or fillings like band every 3 weeks. :confused:

Hi Farzu

A band isnt filled every 3 weeks Farzu, and my friend fell pregnant after having a band , she was just defilled. A few on this site have fallen pregnant after bypass and never come across it being dangerous, just have to take extra care of yourself with food/vits/nutrients etc (guessing here) and also there is a time span from having bypass to pregnancy (think its 1 - 2 years) from having bypass. I know you said your confused about what procedure to have now, what has your provider suggested would be best for you ?? If your thinking about going private and they are leaving it up to you too decide which procedure is best for you , without speaking out of turn I wouldnt find this a very good provider, your paying THEM to advise YOU for which is the best procedure NOT the other way around. Good luck in your search for wls xx

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi Farzu

A band isnt filled every 3 weeks Farzu, and my friend fell pregnant after having a band , she was just defilled. A few on this site have fallen pregnant after bypass and never come across it being dangerous, just have to take extra care of yourself with food/vits/nutrients etc (guessing here) and also there is a time span from having bypass to pregnancy (think its 1 - 2 years) from having bypass. I know you said your confused about what procedure to have now, what has your provider suggested would be best for you ?? If your thinking about going private and they are leaving it up to you too decide which procedure is best for you , without speaking out of turn I wouldnt find this a very good provider, your paying THEM to advise YOU for which is the best procedure NOT the other way around. Good luck in your search for wls xx

All the best - MeJulie xx

Thanks for the reply ladies. At first i was advised the band when i contacted them but then they advised me sleeve as it doesn't need any aftercare or fillings when i told them about pregnancy. I also told them that i might leave this country in a few years and don't have aftercare in my country. They advised me to get the surgery in India and also said that i won't have any problems with sleeve. I don't know much about the provider. Its called Medjourneys. have any idea?

No way would I go to India to have a major operation. It sounds like a very dodgy company to be honest. I asked about pregnancy post bypass and was told it wouldn't be an issue at all. I would speak with a reputable provider.

There is a very good news. My hubby confirmed me that i can get my surgery done privately next month :D yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... i am so happy.
now is the time to reasearch and research...

Great news for you and wishing you all the very best on your journey! xxx

Great news Farzu xx

brill news! im sending you best wishes and luck x

There is a very good news. My hubby confirmed me that i can get my surgery done privately next month :D yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... i am so happy.
now is the time to reasearch and research...

I am so very pleased to hear this great news! I know you have been having a bad time of things in the last few months so I am really happy that you can go privately - yes, lots of research required but I'll bet you will be doing it with a big smile on your face xxx

congratulations babe not long now then! me personally im going for the bypass. i am only 24 year old with no children, being a mummy means the world to me and my surgeon advised me to go for the bypass knowing full well i would like children in the future so i cant see it being a problem if you decide to go for the bypass! good luck on finding the right provider.. make sure you do as much research as you can to find the best one.
much luv xxxx

Good luck, great news to hear you are on your way and sending love and hugs your way xxx

I have 1 friend who had a baby after the Duodenal Switch (which is the sleeve plus rearranging the intestine).

I have another who just had her second child after the Duodenal Switch.

Glad you're getting to have the surgery. Definitely try & wait 18 months postop to get pregnant, though. That's supposed to be the minimum.

Back