• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass or band?? Where do you start!!

Phojay

middle name OPTIMISTIC!!!
Hi everyone

I've joined today so I can hopefully get some good advice from all you experts!

I've been researching weight loss surgery but have now confused myself with the band/bypass options. I'm looking at going private and have seen loads of websites from different clinics but am now confused as to where to start.

If anyone could give me some advise as to making the first move I would be so grateful!

I live in south wales so also anyone from around here that can recommend a clinic they have used would be great.

I should also say that my BMI is around 45 I think, 5ft 9ins and about 21 stone??

Many thanks in advance!!

Hi Phoja, I too live in South Wales. I looked into local deals for banding but they were too expensive i.e. £7,500 plus £150 consultation. This was at the Spires in Cardiff. The weight management clinic (NHS) I attend in Nantyglo (only one in Wales apparantly) is run by Dr Haboubi and he does private work at the Spired - he is lovely - v excentric. However as you will doubtless already know, Wales funds only a hand full of WLS (ie 12 for thw whole country) so Private is your only realistic option. I chose to go with the Hospital Group - they have a clinic in Cardiff but the package I went for was in Bromsgrove as for me it was£5,950 including initial consultation. It takes about 2 hours to get there - the package is likely to be £500 cheaper for you if you manage to stay just below 45 by 1st consultation. The package is called Why Go Abroad. You have to pay for fills yourself at £125.00 a shot, but after the first one this can be done at the Cardiff clinic. I have no idea re.bypass - I expect someone will be along who can advise you - although there arn't many people from S.Wales. Hope this helps, Jenni

Hi and welcome to minis, I know just how you feel when I started researching WLS a year ago it was a confusing new world to me too. Some of the questions you need to ask of your self are important to where you are likley to end your journey. For starters....are you a snacker/grazer or a volume eater (eat healthy-or not LARGE meals) that can be a big help with different types of WLS. Also do you have any deep views on wether you want to permenantly alter your physiology with a bypass or if you would be more interested in having an addition to your physiology with a band. Its important to read and understand all of the problems and issues with both forms of WLS the issues surronding only being able to eat tiny meals or being restricted by what you can eat after surgery.
When looking at providers what you need to look at is not just price (if possible) but post op care and support this can be a real make or break to your surgery providing you with the outcomes you want from it. On here between us we have been through every provider and can tell you what we liked and didnt etc.
Good luck in your search and now your here among friends we will do what we can to help you xxx

I had sort of started to realise that any type of funding in wales was very unlikely!!

I've looked up Spires in Cardiff and also Bristol and had some contact with healthier weight who have been quite helpful.

What would be my next step?? Have no idea whether I should be just making an appointment with 1 of these clinics or something else?

What I did was contact each and request brochures - I knew what I wanted though. Maybe you would be best to talk the whole thing over with a bariatric nurse/doc. I think you can see the nurse at Spires for free (not promising this - had so many brochures, I think it was though). Explain your needs and find out the implications of each as Wanda said. Which elements are you undecided about from the info you have already gathered? For me, I didn't want such a level of invasive surgery you have with the bypass, I wanted it reversable, I wanted a price I could afford, and I wanted the relative safety of the band. Everyones needs and priorities are different. There have been excellent weight losses by the people on here with bypass and band. I think the weight loss with the bypass is quicker though - because not only can you eat much less than you did but there is the malabsorption also.
Anyway, sorry for rambling on I would say, get the info., phone up the hospitals, explain your situation ie that you are looking at different packages and ask "Why should I go with you"...afterall, they are businesses at the end of the day and want your money!

PS I know that Spires do regular WLS evenings when you learn about each operation. I think the last one was in Swansea.

PPS email for Hospital group ( hospitals all over the place) is [email protected]. As I said, I went to Bromsgrove and it was brilliant. It was very efficient, the nurses were really really lovely and only 3 weeks later my scars have shrunk far more than when I had my Gallbladder out and I had no bruising at all apart from where my port is.

ask people on this forum which private op providor gives good after care as alot of private patients do feel let down by there providor on the after care services they have payed alot of money for, im nhs banded but quality after care is key to success and quite alot of ppl feel they have been let down and not been advised in the correct manner after there op, its a good job minis is here for those ppl.

liz x

Hi I am pre op but have researched the aftercare provided by all private providers. The main reason I went with Healthier Weight was because of the aftercare package available. Unlimited band refills for the first 12 months. Support groups, helpline, nurse access etc all for life!!! You get a call once a week in the early days and then once a month after. My consultant said that aftercare is the key to success. In most cases of failure it has been down to very little or no aftercare. Remember though that you have to keep up with the aftercare as well. go to support groups, keep appointments. If at anytime you feeling like you are slipping you can call and get seen by a dietician to help get you back on track.

gr8 advice soonto !

I didn't think of aftercare, I just took my placement on the weight management clinic as my aftercare, Doc, Nurses, Dietician, Psychologist. So yes, Private aftercare would be an important consideration.

Bumping this thread for the benefit of Julie - I don't know how to make a direct link to another thread. Sorry for being so dull.

as for post-op support....thats why I went with The Weigh Loss Surgery Group....they are not the cheapest but the care i got pre-op-during my surgery-and so far post op has been brilliant....within my price I get 2 years full aftercare including unlimited fills and defills as required (and done by the famous Wendy:D)

they also provide aftercare for other surgery providers and you can by just after care packages for a year that cover all your fills etc.

I cant recommend them strongly enough....I had my surgery in London and my surgeon Professor Nadey Hakim (35th World President of the International College of Surgeons) he is a very experienced gastric surgeon (12 bands in march 2009 alone) and world renowned transplant surgeon....I felt so so safe in his hands and he was so patient with me and took time to talk before surgery...while I was in recovery he came and spent 20 minutes talking to my hubby to tell him exactly how well it had gone and to put his mind at ease. then came back in the morning (Sunday) to chat to me about my surgery and check me over. Surgery in London is an option just as much as the north and they are such great people:eek:

I chose the WLS group for exactly the same reasons as Wanda and having met a few of 'the team' alleady I am in no doubt that I will be in safe hands on 25th.

so excited for you Mazza cant wait for you to join me here on the loosing side xx

Back