• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or Bypass

mygirllollypop

I am sure there have been hundreds of these topics started before mine, I did do a search but couldnt find any.

I have my next consultant appointment in September and I have to make my descion by then. I was so so sure I wanted the sleeve done, poured hours upon hours into researching it etc, but the group talk with my surgeon now has me swinging towards a bypass!

The surgeon recommends the bypass above the sleeve.

So now I am stumped the sleeve appeals to me as the eventual portion sizes are bigger that you can eat.

(I have two young girls who I dont want to think miniscule amounts of food will be good for them!)

But the bypass is a quicker weightloss overall...

There are other things that got me thinking like the risk rates of leaking from a sleeve and the death risk of a bypass.

How did you all choose what to have done?

Research, reading around subject, talking to surgeons, doctors, dieticians, more reasearch.
Wanted a band initially but told not right for me coz of my weight & eating habits. Sleeve or bypass. I chose sleeve coz it was right for me, my lifestyle & life long eating habits.
Hope that helps.

I listened to what my surgeon advised which was based upon my eating habits.
They are dealing with people like us daily and they know better than anyone which surgery works for which type of person. Portion size should not really be a consideration any more because with either option your intake will be drastically reduced.
As regards your two girls just copying what you eat is never going to work education is required so that they understand the risks associated with both overeating and under eating.
I would also avoid thinking of the bypass as the quick option. Bypass should help you lose weight quicker as it uses restriction and Malabsorption where as the Sleeve relies on restriction alone. But at the end of the day whichever method you choose, you will still need to avoid the temptation to eat the things that have got you here in the first place.
I had the sleeve and could not be happier there are many others who had the bypass and will say the same. there are also horror stories for both types so the long and the short of it is be guided by your surgeon and follow their advice to the letter.

Good luck though with whichever route you take

Hi

I was exactly the same, absolutely decided on the sleeve. Spoke to three surgeons, two were happy to do the sleeve but didn't really prove into my eating habits or health issues. Then the last surgeon I saw did a much more thorough consultation, and due to the fact I want to lose 8 stone and that I already suffer with slight acid reflux, he recommended the bypass. He also suggested there were less problems and less leak potential with the bypass. The surgeon is Mr Patel, and I have researched him thoroughly and really trust him!

However, if I didn't hAve reflux, and wasn't so paranoid about leaks (I have an 8 month old little boy and to spend 6 weeks in hospital terrifies me) I would have prob gone for the sleeve

X

Yeah go with what your surgeon recommends, staples are used in both ops, so both could leak if your really really unlucky which of course you wont be.
Look into how and why each operation works, choosing which operation will be one of the most important decisions you ever make, theres no going back once its done.

Kim

Have you looked at a duodenal switch? It's bypass on the bottom and sleeve on the top.

Back