• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or bypass?

Llora

Hello everyone,

I just wondered how did you decide which surgery to go with? When i started thinking about wls i thought i would like a sleeve. Then after doing more research and reading more i was not sure which one i would pick. Got comletely confused. Then i went and had my appointments with dietitian and consultant surgeon, they both agreed i would be suitable for both surgeries. Then i thought maybe i should go with bypass as it does offer bigger % of weight loss. So i concentrated on reading about this procedure more. Of course i read about good and bad experiences, but that is normal. I was ok with idea of having bypass if i ended up with beeing approved for surgery. But earlier this week i went to see dietitian again. And she thought that maybe i should think about sleeve. She of course said that i would benefit from both of the procedures, but after that appointment my impretion is that she was trying to suggest that i should have a sleeve. Hmm now i am totaly confused. I still have one more appointment with bariatric nurse, and dietitian strongly suggested for me to ask for her opponion in this question too. But how did you choose? What were the main reasons for you having one ir the other? Maybe i am overlooking something? Maybe if i hear your reasons that will open my mind to the things i have never concidered or thought about? I am 26, my bmi is over 50, no children yet, only a month or so ago i was diagnosed with rosacea, diabetes and pcos.

Last edited:
I think it's a really difficult choice, I am have the sleeve primarily because I felt the bypass was a bit to much for me personally but i would go with which ever type of surgery you feel would be best for you!

I decided after speaking with the surgeon and being honest about my eating habits, he recommended the bypass which I went with.

I have pcos too and losing the weight pre wls is doubly hard. I also was planning on the sleeve but surgeon highly recommended rny because I have gerd so that settled it for me. My husband is getting a sleeve. I do worry that he will gain the weight back though over time but I guess we all have that chance and it just depends on our eating habits.

Last edited:
research and see what best fits your lifestyle or be guided by the surgeons we all react differently to surgery so what one experiences the other may not so its hard to make a suggestion one way or the other

Thanks for all of your answers so far :)

Princess4d4, i am not waiting for anyone to suggest or decide for me which type of surgery to pick :) i know i will go with what the medical team will advice :) but at the moment they all say both could be good and suitable options for me. I am doing my research. i am reading online, books, medical research ect. for almost two years now. i was only expecting to hear why people thought one type of surgery suited them better than the other and other reasons why they made a decision to go with sleeve or bypass. Because maybe that will spark some more ideas about what else should i consider when choosing.. :)

After 18 months of weight management appointments it was my dietician that suggested the bypass to me. We didn't discuss a sleeve. I wS bypassed in feb, best thing I've ever done. Good luck with your decision xx

Back