• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band consultation today - advice please

JodieJoJo

Hi everyone

I went for my gastric band consultation today and so now need to make a decision on whether to go ahead or not...i am 99% sure I want to go ahead but just wondered if anybody could offer any advice on the following:

1. Finance plans - has anybody paid for surgery using the finance plans and if so usually how long is the payment period. ie 2 years, 5 years etc?

2. What is the average weight loss in 6 months after the surgery? (i am 15 stone and 5ft 3)

3. Does anybody regret having the surgery?

4. Do you still need to be able to exert a large amount of self control post operation?

During my consultation I got the idea that with the bypass the work is pretty much done for you but with the band you need to be kind of on a diet and that it only does about 30% of the work for you?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou xxx

by the way just realised i never changed my profile....needless to say i am not that weight anymore lol!

Bless ya! I'm only one week out from being banded so be good to see what the others have to say. It's only how I think of this...the band is less invasive, not permanent etc and with much less weight to lose than some for me seems sensible option. As for finance, check the APR in case a bank loan is less %. as for the term of the loan it's down to what you can comfortably afford to repay each month, whether that be 2 or 5 yr is down to you.
This will still be a mind over matter as if you want bad food you still control what goes in!! however with the aftercare package you have good guidance around what can/can't be eaten. Good luck with your decision! X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks Jo x how you feeling after the op?

As you can see I did the Cambridge but have put it all back on and more so have decided after 25 years of dieting I need to do this.

Just need to sort the cash! x

I did Cambridge too but it's not sustainable long term. I'm good thanx! Was sleepy for first 2/3 days and hurt to lay in bed etc but since weekend I've come on leaps n bounds. (op was last tue pm). Staples r out Friday then back to work next week! You def need 2 week off though as I'm finding I tire easily! moving from liquid only to slop at the weekend n cant wait..mash potato, custard etc..oh the excitement! (and more weight coming off) Any q's I'm here xx

excellent stuff :) you sound pretty chirpy! lol....sorry for stupid question but are the staples where the incisions are? how many incisions are made? I had keyhole surgery when i had my gallbladder out 20 years ago so hoping i have the holes already there lol x

I'm happy cos already im losing..both weight and as at last night 20cm of me in total from arms, waist etc so can see the future!! I too had bladder removal 3yr back but they don't use same holes. i have mini holes and 1 bigger one where they insert band and port. The small holes have couple of staples with bigger one I'm guessing about 6! All neat n tidy though. Does it let you view my album? Can't remember if put a pic in there of it...but if not happy to send u a couple of pics if u pm an email for u to get an idea (sorry on ifone at mo do can't see my own pics lol) Just had to take couple of pics when I showered the other day :) where u from Hun? x

Should have said 4 mini holes

Thanks Jo, thats really helpful. I am off out now but will def look at your pics later. The port looked kinda big, does it feel weird? I'm in East Sussex, how about you?xx

Can't feel it at mo maybe I will when staples r out! I'm in Derbyshire x

Hello, in answer to your questions...its been 7 months since I had my band and I have lost just over 4 and a half stones, I don't regret the surgery for a moment and yes willpower is still needed.
BTW I didn't have staples, I was glued. Also as I have lost weight, I can feel my port easily. I thought that it would make me feel squeamish but it doesn't!
Good luck, as I said willpoer is still needed but having the band certainly makes it easier..I would of never of lost the weight without it.
Karen xx

New to site

Hi all
Due to go for my group consultation on 19th Oct would welcome any info on process, waiting list time, advantages and disadvantages of having a band

Hi. Best to spend the time to think about whether its going to be right for you rather than jumping on in there. It took me over a year to pluck up the courage to go to a consultation and do something about things before I started to suffer the consequences of being overweight.

I am almost 3 months post-op and am so pleased I made the decision to go ahead. I saved half and borrowed half on a loan. I think the investment I made is really motivating me to make sure I don't waste my £6k. I have lost over three stones so far. But as you rightly said the band will only do 30% - the rest is really down to you, so you need to be realistic and have will power as you may have to work hard at it and you may have to change your lifestyle...because the band can be cheated.

Again my 5 scars are glued and are fading really well. Each provider is different, so this is a good site to read from and ask questions. We all have our own opinions, but yours is the most important at the end of the day. Good luck with whatever you decide x

I agree with the 30%. You really have to work with a band. Plus lots of people have to go with willpower until they get the correct restriction.

Hi

Just to through a spanner into the works - I dont think the band only helps 30% at all.

It either helps 100% if you are prepared to change to a healthy eating and exercise routine for life by really changing the size of the amount of food you are able to eat. Or it wont help at all if you ignore all the post op diet advice given, eat high fat, high carb or 'slider' foods.

There are no 'averages' everyone and every journey is different.

Another consideration is your eating habbits, the band tends to work best for volume eaters. Grazing or picking all day - not so good but that applys to all types of surgery too.

People who have a bypass do not absorb all of the food that they eat so a percentage of the calories that go in are discounted because of this. They do however also have to stick to a healthy eating regime, many cannot tolerate high fat foods and foods with sugar can cause 'dumping' syndrome.

Any surgery is a tool to help you lose weight and if you are committed to change you can succeed :D

I am a goal weight bander and lost my weight steadily but I have been 100% committed to losing the weight. I have lost 7 stone.

I would advise you to be honest with yourself, your eating habbits, if you think you have any underlying issues with food that may effect your results - try and resolve them, research, research and research some more!

Good luck x

Mazza, you hit the nail right on the head. I had sleeve surgery 12 weeks ago and I've changed my lifestyle dramatically and it's paying off as I've now lost 3st 3lb! Please listen to mazza's advice, she is experienced and has helped many of us seeking honest advice. Xxx

I'm in a similar situation jojo but I've spent a couple of days trawling the net, reading blogs of other banders; both good and bad stories, millions of YouTube video diaries-very motivational as they totally changes their lifestyles which is what I want/need.

I'm not allowed to have it done anyway until 6months after the birth of my baby so that's two months away but I'm glad because I'm determined to prove myself to myself in that time and get a little more active and eat a bit better, as far as I'm concerned the life change happened the second I decided 100%, even if I lose just a few pounds I'll be pleaded with myself.

I've also done Lipotrim in the past and lost 8stone but regained as I never changed my lifestyle. This is how I know I can lose weight I just need support keeping it off.

Sorry for this waffle I'm just on such a high reading all the amazing diaries on here!x x x

Back