• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Some advice please

Gems123

Hello, I am fairly new to this forum, I have had a consultation and been advised that I can have a gastric band, the thing is I have been researching for so long and I still can't decide whether it is the right thing to do, I mean I know deep down I need to lose weight for medical reasons (sleep apnoea, painful legs, etc., etc.) but I just wondered if anyone who has had the surgery and been successful could help me out, it seems for every one that is successful there are more that are not, I suppose I just need to be sure that its the right thing to do, am in a bit of a dilemma!

Also, I plan to go private, any recommendations, I live on the South Coast?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer :sign0163:

I can't offer you personal advice but for me the band has been the nest thing Ive ever done.

I have never been so happy, had such a good social life, enjoying holidays.

And I am still losing weight, fantastic x

Lots of people on here have had good success with the band and hopefully they will be along shortly to share their knowledge with you! In the meantime, welcome :) x x

iv had my band for 4 yrs and for most part of that i was incredibly happy with it , if you work with it its the best it is easy to cheat with so you need good will power , mine has now malfunctioned and im going to be having it removed and having a bypass instead but when it worked well and i was in the zone so to speak i lost well

i has a band fitted with healthier weight (do have southern branches too!) I've had it for 8 months and I've lost over 8 stone. I still have a long way to go, but it has been a wonderful tool. I think if you have one and realise that it is only a tool to weight loss and not the answer then I think being realistic helps immensely. It Isn't easy, It takes a lot of self control, a lot of will power, careful eating and planning too, but at 40 I am now lighter than I was a 19.

It took me 7 years from first thinking about it, to having surgery, I hw to be in the right mindset, but its the best decision I've made. No- one can ever tell you if it's the right thing for you, but I do believe that you need to be 100% sure for yourself that it is.

Welcome to the forum Gems, you wouldn't be normal if you didn't feel in a bit of a dilemma, surgery is not a quick fix but an aid to dieting. Most of us have previously lost weight on a host of different diets but still ultimately ended up fat which is what has brought us to think about WLS. You will get a broad cross section of thoughts by reading the various threads on here and that may help you to come to the right decision for you. Please ask any questions you may have, however daft they may seem and someone will answer you.
I have only had my band for 5 weeks and due for my first fill next week but already I know it is the best decision I have made since I asked my wife to marry me 25 years ago!

Well I am over the moon with my band ... Helped me lose over 150lbs and now maintaing. I am not 100% perfect, however I am totally in control and that's what my band has helped me achieve. I was lucky and didn't have any medical problems prior to my op, but if I hadn't have had it, it would only have been a matter of time :sigh:

I had my op in the midlands, so no knowledge of the southeast, but someone will be along soon who will have, I am sure.

Best of luck with whichever op/provider you decide upon ... And :welcome2:

Hi gems

My hubby works for BMI (head chef) at Chelsfield Park Hospital in orpington and mr El Hasani is meant to be/is one of the best bariatric surgeons around. I know him personally and although he's not sweetness and light, he won't beat about the bush. In fact I'd go as far as to say he boarders in arrogant but then again, that's because he "knows" (!) he is the best in the business. He has complete confidence in what he does so it can't be a bad thing I suppose.

Just thought I'd throw it in there for your consideration! (No I/he are not on commission lol)

FYI I'm day 1 of being banded so early days for me.

Good luck!
Bex xx

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I am booked in to have the band on 21st May, I am 80% terrified and nervous, 20% excited and can't wait.

I think because I have sleep apnoea I am nervous about the surgery, thanks again all, I start my milk diet on Monday 13th May - I hope I can keep to it!

gems :)

Back