• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band Research Questions...Help Please :-)

Tamgredan

wanna be happy!
Hi Everyone,

Ive tried every diet and now im considering a gastric band. Ive done some reasearch on it but have a few questions which im hoping you can help me with.
1) How much do the refills costs - are any given free after the op?
2) How often do you have to 'top-up' the band?
3) This is a stupid one BUT will i ever be able to have a good drink and get merry again?
4) If the band fails to work for me, would i get my money back?
5) Im finding prices around £7000, does anybody recommend a good place / surgeon?
6) I have a really tough job (work night shifts) managing over 300 people and walking around all night, how much time would i need off work?
7) I am a smoker, must i stop before i am allowed to have the band?

Hope you can answer my questions! ill keep you posted on what i decide.

Hi Everyone,

Ive tried every diet and now im considering a gastric band. Ive done some reasearch on it but have a few questions which im hoping you can help me with.
1) How much do the refills costs - are any given free after the op?
I've gone private (Ross Hall, Glasgow) and the fills are free for the first year

2) How often do you have to 'top-up' the band?
I'm a pre-opper but from what I've read on here everyone has differing 'sweet spots'

3) This is a stupid one BUT will i ever be able to have a good drink and get merry again?
from what I've read you can have a drink (maybe steer clear from fizzies as they can cause wind). I've also read that it can take less to get drunk so you might find that you can have a cheap night out lol (however I'm not sure if this is a band or bypass?)

4) If the band fails to work for me, would i get my money back?
I'm not sure about this, but I wouldn't have thought so, they will try to help you find your restriction point

5) Im finding prices around £7000, does anybody recommend a good place / surgeon?
That's what I'm paying, and I will tell you after Wed if I recommend him lol

6) I have a really tough job (work night shifts) managing over 300 people and walking around all night, how much time would i need off work?
From what I've read it depends on the person, I'm planning on taking 2 weeks off and doing no heavy lifting for 6 weeks. Also, you will have to check with your insurance as to driving after an op (assuming you drive).

7) I am a smoker, must i stop before i am allowed to have the band?
I don't know, sorry

Hi, I hope I've been some help, as I've mentioned I'm a pre-opper but have found this forum to be a fabulous source of info. You may find reading peoples diaries helpful, also in the wl surgery section there is a thread for banders which is a good source of info.

Good luck with your wl journey and I hope to see you on here xx

Good luck for wednesday!

Thanks for answering my questions you have certainly helped.

Lets hope santa fetches me a gastric band for xmas!!!

1) How much do the refills costs - are any given free after the op? Depends on the aftercare package, you can get fills for upto 3 years if you shop around.
2) How often do you have to 'top-up' the band? This really varies from person to person.
3) This is a stupid one BUT will i ever be able to have a good drink and get merry again? Yes you can drink after having a gastric band, just remember though that alcohol is empty calories.
4) If the band fails to work for me, would i get my money back? I suppose it depends why it didnt work, if its faulty you may.
5) Im finding prices around £7000, does anybody recommend a good place / surgeon? I had mine fitted with the WLS Group, my band cost just under £6k.
6) I have a really tough job (work night shifts) managing over 300 people and walking around all night, how much time would i need off work? Again depends how you recover, I took a week off and was fine with that.
7) I am a smoker, must i stop before i am allowed to have the band? That would depend on your surgeon.

Good luck! ;)

I had my band done by `The Hospital Group` sometimes they have offers on pricewise. Mine was £5999 in October. The band fills are free for 2 years.
Half a glass of booze should have you rockin!

If you wanted your money back if you felt it had`nt worked, I think it would be up to you to prove that you had followed all their guidelines religously. Watch out for the small print!

You would certainly need a fortnight off work! Especially if you are on your feet so much, best ask the question and explain your job when you see the consultant.

Most hospitals require you give up smoking before surgery. But if you can`t then you may have to stop for a couple of weeks either side of surgery date.

Hope this helps!

Love Kat x

Back