• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Conversion - Thinking of Having A Sleeve/Bypass Instead

Furybird4470

Hi Im a newbie!
I had my Gastric band inserted by Dr Chris Debruyne in Belgium in June 2010 and my insert weight was 18st 10lb (pre-op weight 19st 11lb height 5ft 1" BMI 51), slight complication of a internal bleed and had to have a transfusion but all good on recovery, I lost 3st 7lb by the following November 2011.

I then went for a fill, as things had come to a standstill with my weight loss, and unfortunately it felt really tight and I couldn't keep anything down and went back and had a small de-fill. Since then I put off getting a refill (cost/emotional stuff) and have put back on 2st, my fault I know but as the band has never felt comfortable, pain in arm, port aching and now practically constant reflux was thinking of converting to a bypass/sleeve.
Does anyone have any experience of doing this and did they have to pay extra to remove the band first?
Thank you
:break_diet:

Good move!

I paid about £1000 extra to have the band removed. Had done in same operation as safer. But I hadn't had complications with the band, just the port. Chose bypass due to diabetes, have never been able to get my head around the sleeve.

Much less restrictive with the bypass.

Thanks ThinnerJemima, I feel a bit of a failure really, I chose the band as it was less invasive and at £4000 in Belgium instead of £9000 in Cardiff was the deciding factor. I was refused funding even though my BMI was over 50 and the 4 year waiting list in South Wales. In hindsight adding all the costs of band fills and the fact it took about 3 weeks recovering because of the complications, I should have gone the whole hog!
Think I will try one last fill and see my consultant when they come over to do the clinic and get their opinion as well. And start saving.

Hi Im a newbie! I had my Gastric band inserted by Dr Chris Debruyne in Belgium in June 2010 and my insert weight was 18st 10lb (pre-op weight 19st 11lb height 5ft 1" BMI 51), slight complication of a internal bleed and had to have a transfusion but all good on recovery, I lost 3st 7lb by the following November 2011. I then went for a fill, as things had come to a standstill with my weight loss, and unfortunately it felt really tight and I couldn't keep anything down and went back and had a small de-fill. Since then I put off getting a refill (cost/emotional stuff) and have put back on 2st, my fault I know but as the band has never felt comfortable, pain in arm, port aching and now practically constant reflux was thinking of converting to a bypass/sleeve. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and did they have to pay extra to remove the band first? Thank you :break_diet:

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time with your band. I'd like to spend some time replying to you but just now preparing myself for revision surgery tomorrow morning.
I've posted a few threads etc about my ongoing band issues so please find them via my profile and have a read. There's also a 'Revision Surgery' area on her. It's new so not very full yet. I hope to add to it soon once I've got used to the bypass!!!
There's a fair few band to bypass or sleeve revisioners on here and sure you will get some support and advice shortly.

Victoria x

I'm having wrap to sleeve.... I chose wrap for similar reasons & costs...The elasticity in my skin is great, wrinkle wise...however it also means other parts r also stretchy Inc bloody stomach :/

Thanks everyone for the responses - it seems that to get any help through the NHS in Wales is to have major complications and be near death - have exhausted my personal funds to the point of not being able to afford the refills either - back up to 17st and with reflux that gets so bad it makes me cough and burns my throat and mouth. I know 17st is not huge but its still 8st more than a safe weight and I have already had one knee operated on and have high blood pressure. I have been going through the menopause early and they have put me on HRT so that does not help. Its all feels a bit futile at the mo :(

I you have reflux, do you think you maybe need a further defill?

Surely a fill will make the reflux even worse?

Hi Banderbird - I am biting the bullet and going to suffer the humiliation by seeing my consultant in the clinic in Cardiff (they fly in from Belgium once a month) and am prepared for the lecture for the 2st weight gain and not getting regular checks. It has been hard finding the extra money as its £90 a visit but hayho. If they insist I have some removed I will be gutted as I am feeling hungry more and more especially in the mornings. Gawd! Im such a whinger! Its possible the band has moved I suppose it would mean revision surgery then?

Back