• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band removal thinking of sleeve

sunny69

Hi, i recently had to have emergency band removal due to slippage, thinking back i really could only have blended food , i could not eat meat, fruit , veg i had severe reflux to the point i would vomit blood very scary indeed, i was lucky enough to have it removed on the nhs , i did lose 5 stone and i was ecstatic the band is now gone and the weight is piling on. I am considering having the sleeve , but what i am worrying about is the reflux returning and food getting stuck, also with the sleeve are you still be able to eat anything which i couldn't do with the band :( :(. please give me your views
:cry::cry:

Caroline jess

I revised to mini bypass due to slippage and reflux. The sleeve is not recommended for reflux sufferers it can make it worse (and worse than vomiting blood can't be good) life after bypass is a breeze compared to with a slipped band. Sorry for everything you have been through, I can completely sympathise xx

Bear

Now don't get me wrong, I think sleeves are great.

After my op I was put on the statutory 6 months of Omeprazole. After stopping that it was fine for a couple of months, but about 3 months or so ago (so 9 months post surgery) I started getting severe heartburn. I've been back on Omeprazole for last 2 months and it's certainly easier.

I never had any heartburn issues in my previous life - not even during 2 pregnancies. So yes, it would appear the sleeve can trigger acid issues.

On the positive side, mine is definitely treatable with medication.

Good luck with your choice.

Monalisa

Hi
Have you made a decision I'm trying to make the same one and Caroline I have read the mini gastric bypass also can cause reflux it's only the full bypass that doesn't Is this true? I am very confused. I only had reflux when my band slipped and now have some due to oesophageal dysmotility and just don't know what to do x

Caroline jess

.... My surgeon worked quite hard to persuade me to have a bypass. Yes you can get reflux with the mini bypass and unfortunately I am one of the tiny minority that still has a touch of reflux (nothing in comparison to with the band) I take Omeprezol but you would with a normal bypass as well. Everyone is different Weegie has probably worse reflux than me had a mini bypass and has no reflux (to be honest I am a bit lax with my medication though)

Monalisa

Thanks Caroline
I have had my nhs appointment today they will only either remove my band or work with me to try and sort oesophageal dilation out but to be honest I feel I am reaching the end of the road with it I have a private consultation next week to see what is advised with revision I do fancy the sleeve but worried about reflux and I am already aneamic b12 deficient so worried about bypass and not keen on the whole dumping thing would have preferred stick with band but doesn't seem to be working for me anymore

trendywendy

Good luck Monalisa,

I initially thought I'd have a band but after lots of research and seeing all the issues, I decided to go for a sleeve. Then after a consultation, I changed my mind and went for the MGB as you can eat more variety I was told, less problems with eating certain foods, it is reversible should you need a reversal and no part of your stomach is removed and put into surgical waste. Those were the deciding factors for me, I am 3 weeks post op, feel fab, have had meat pureed, eg cottage pie etc a nd have one week on puree left before real food
No regrets. My surgeon recommended omeprazole 40mg and vitamins permanently and I was already on 20mg omeprazole prior to op, this doesn't bother me at all, the weight is coming off and I will be way healthier taking these and being slim than obese
Best of luck with whatever route you choose
One things for sure, this site is brilliant for getting opinions and peoples experiences and everyone is super helpful