• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band now or sleeve later??

Positivefeeling

Hi everyone

I have been reading everyone's different comments for a few months now but have only just registered with the site.

I can't believe how well you have all done!! Amazing!

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on my predicament please?

I am 43 and have struggled with my weight for 20+ years. Two years ago I lost 4 stone doing lighter life,going from a BMI of 35 to one of around 23. I'm now back up to 32 and rising fast. I want and need something more permanent and weightloss surgery is the way I want to go. My problem is this :- I know a couple of friends who have had the band and had to have it removed for one reason or another and another friend who had a band, had problems and had a conversion to a sleeve,which she loves. After reading up loads,I feel a sleeve would be my preference but my Bmi is not high enough now after my weightloss. Do I go with the band now? Or wait until the inevitable happens,which is my BMI rising to the 35?

I've lost weight so many times but LL taught me nothing about smaller portions. good is like my best friend and my worst enemy all rolled into one and I love it while I'm eating and then hate myself straight after.

Please help. I'm not sure which way to turn.

Louise

If you feel the sleeve is for you then frankly you're asking the wrong question. You should be booking consultations and asking surgeons if they would support you and explaining your situation. Sounds as if you're going private - you never know until you ask.

I had the sleeve with a BMI of 33 as I just couldn't risk the band in case of problems and am happy with my decision.

I had a bypass with a relatively low bmi . Like you i wanted something long term and didn't want to risk the band for the same reasons. If you are paying private and have a reason for your choices there is no need to wait. Book in with some providers, they will tell you if they think you should consider something else, but most are happy to follow your preference.

i had a band as i didnt really want anything as invasive as sleeve or by-pass, then also in the future if i feel i need to have t reversed and taken out i can. Sounds like your really leaning toward sleeve so i would book some appointments see what happens i wouldnt wait till you put more weight on your just damaging yourself further then by adding more weight. Good luck x x

Ermmmm it's a hell of a learning curve but everybody is different I think whichever option of wls you choose to go for they're all high maintenance. There's not a day goes by when I don't think about my band follow the rules and respect the tool I have. I'm used to it now so in a sense it just feels normal I sometimes forget how things used to be cos this is my 'normal' now. I don't feel like I have to plan ahead much I can eat out and all that sort of thing. If I fancy it I have it. If I want a boozy weekend I have one then just get back on it Monday morning. I promised myself thus would be the last time I ever needed to do something about my weight it's final and it's forever but I do t let my band stop me doing anything! Hope this helps anymore questions fire away x

Two years ago I was refused a sleeve w a bmi of around 34 then I got band.
lost five and a half stones. Happy.
but since then I realised I could have had the sleeve. In belgium for example you cam have seeve with bmi 32 or other countries where they don't check.
no probs with band. But five years down the line I might go for sleeve. In another country.

Hi julci

That brings me to another question. If I was sleeved in Begium,for example,what happens about aftercare once you're home? I have looked at Belgium and I know a lot of people on here rave about their treatment whilst they are there but the thought of travelling abroad for surgery does freak me out a little.....

My sleeve was with THG. I can only report that my experience was positive and would recommend you approaching several providers to see which one you feel comfortable with. It's down to personal choice.

Was there any aftercare once you were home or did you just visit your own GP? Did you go on your own? Would you mind telling me your story The Old Woman? Lol, I hated calling you that -it feels very disrespectful ! :)

Positivefeeling, I would stay in Belgium for a week or two and if no probs, then I think you will be fine. In emergency nhs should treat you.
had major - four hour - plastics abroad. My main worry was infection. If no sign of that within two weeks of surgery I think you are ok.
obviously w sleeve the concern is leak on staple line.
But as a bandit I dont know enough about that problem.

Was there any aftercare once you were home or did you just visit your own GP? Did you go on your own? Would you mind telling me your story The Old Woman? Lol, I hated calling you that -it feels very disrespectful ! :)
Went in on my own only my hubby knows, wanted to keep it that way to stop people giving their opinions which I couldn't handle. I have been on so many diets all through the years that for me to eat like I do is ok and well mum is yet on another fad diet as far as anyone else is concerned. (Ha, ha) . Once home I rely on speaking to the dietician ( been wonderful and full of support and encouragement ) speaking to my GP and getting as much info from reading everyone else's posts. Haven't felt alone at all and am enjoying the fact that I am not being questioned. Hubby is a rock of support. Good luck with your decision.

Hi I had the sleeve 3 weeks ago with spire they were fab and I also didn't want anyone to know but again like old woman the nurse , dietician and this sight have helped me a lot so you have support . I wouldn't wait for yourself to get bigger as you are compromising your health . Speak to different companies . I think your def opting for the sleeve but it's only you that can choose. Good luck x

Back