• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band or bypass

candie

fabby not flabby :)
As i've previously posted, I am going to see Mr Brough in a couple of weeks.I had my heart set on the band, but having read stuff on here think he may recommend the bypass:eek:
I would consider it if I could have it laparoscipally, but am terrified of having another stomach surgery as I had a massive vertical cut when I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, and the scar busrt etc, so i have a real fear of that:eek:.
Did anyone have the bypass laparoscipally? :confused:

I had the gastric bypass keyhole style. I have 5 tiny cuts high on my belly near my bra line. 5 weeks out they are fine pink dashes that most would never know are surgery scars. I also did not have staples, my surgeon used dissolving stitches which I would have to highly recommend.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.:)

It is more common now to have bypass via laprascopic methods.

You surgeon will carefully go through all options open to you and also advise which he thinks might suit you best.

Then the decision is down to you, which do you think you can cope with best.

Read all the threads on here, read all you can about all operations on the internet.

Just remember, the bypass is harder to reverse, and may lead to malnutrition and possible hairloss, you have to be on vitamins for life, and has a odd side effect if you eat too much fat or sugar called dumping but the real upside is weightloss will be quicker, which if you have co morbidities might be the best option.

The band is a smaller op, quicker recovery, you dont need supplements and you don't get dumping. And you are not so restricted as to what you can eat. Though you will need regular fills to keep restriction good and you don't always get that straight away, so weight loss is slower and less obvious.

Both stop you over eating though. You physically cannot eat like you did before.

But studies have shown that long term maintained weightloss is about the same.

I only opted for the band as I did not want my anatomy changed.

Thanks ladies for your prompt replies.I will consider it if I can have it keyhole style, otherwise I will go for the band, but not keen on the hair loss risk:eek::eek:

i was offered bypass keyhole although i opted for band for reasons simular to cazbandy i just couldnt face such a serious op and side effects although the band is harder work apparently i love mine

Thanks ladies for your prompt replies.I will consider it if I can have it keyhole style, otherwise I will go for the band, but not keen on the hair loss risk:eek::eek:

Not everyone has hair loss and it is supposed to only last 6-9 months, its due to the body wanting to spend its energy elsewhere and as it can do without hair to get healthy elsewhere it neglects that side...xx

Also, hair loss can also be attributed to anesthesia. It is very common for all post-op people (any type of procedure) to suffer minor & temporary hair loss. It will reverse itself usually within a few months after you start to experience increased loss but supplements can be taken to speed recovery to hair follicles. Remember this only happens about 10% of the time so it is a small worry.

Mr Brough does laparoscopic bypass, not open ;) not unless there is a reason for you to need open (old surgery scars etc).

When you go see him, just be really honest about your eating habits and pitfalls, that way he can help guide you as to which is best for you.

Thanks shel I will be totally honest:p.I have a huge vertical scar from a hysterectomy and never want to be cut open again like that:(, so fingers crossed if he recommends a bypass it'll be keyhole;)

Back