• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to bypass

AA1234

HI all,

I have been thinking about my surgery and keep thinking "what if it doesn't work?". I know that it is down to me but I keep hearing about people having a bypass done after the band didn't work.

What made you go for bypass rather than banding? I know for me price is a big thing.

Also, is there anyone here that has had the band and then had a bypass?

I understand that the weight loss over 5 years is the same (although more with bypass in the first 2 years). Is this something that people consider when they are making their choice.

Or is it just what ever the NHS fund? I know there is a lot more follow up costs with banding.

Thoughts/ experiences?

Hi there, the answer is not a simple one I am afraid.

Both surgeries carry a certain risk of "not working" but that is usually down to the individual. Both proceedures can be cheated in one way or another, so before undertaking either, get the mindset right first. Obviously there are cases where the band can be faulty or that something goes awry with the bypass but these are quite low compared to the sucess stories.

Surgeons basically work on what your eating habits are when they advise. If you are a true volume eater (like I used to be) then a band is a good option as this limits the portion size you can eat. Though obviously you could eat all the wrong things, like chocolate, icecream and crisps and this would cause the band to fail but as said before, that is not the band failing but the work of the indiviual who has it.

With the bypass this will stop the sweet tooth from over indulging in anything too sugary or too fatty, as if they do, most will get horrible feelings of nausea and other horrid effects.

My surgeon has said that if I could not make the band work for me then a bypass further down the line would become the only other option. And more than likely if it was my fault it had failed the NHS would not fund. Unless it could be proved the band had technically failed.

Weightloss is certainly faster iniatially with the bypass and for some with very high BMI and comorbities is often the best option as it can allieviate problems, but over all, after a period of time the weightlosses seem to balance out for most people.

The NHS will do surgery if you meet the criteria set by whoever the PCT is in your area. Some are stricter than others and there are no 100 percent guarantees that funding will be granted.

The best thing to do is research, research and research some more on all options available to you and not let money dictate your outcome. If it meant saving longer to get the right surgery then that might be the best thing to do for some. Or approach GP about NHS funding and be prepared for a longer wait.

Just remember, once you make the decision as to what surgery suits you and get whatever funding in place weather NHS or private, any wait will be worth it to get the very best results you can for yourself. You owe it to yourself.

Good luck with your journey :)

Great post caz xx

Very well explained Caz, you've covered much more advice than I could have. Sue, I'm having the band because I'm not brave enough to go for the bypass (which I could have had) as its too invasive for me.Which ever way you decide to go make sure you look at all areas of both because as Caz said you owe it to yourself.If you choose the right one then it will save you having to go on a different route should that fail.
Take care xx Gaynor xx

Hi, Sue,
When I first made my decision to go for wls I decided I wanted a band. This was purely and simply based on risk - I knew that a bypass was more risky than a band.
After talking to the doc at my initial appointment, he convinced me that, really, there was nothing in it. He told me I was "low risk".
By that time, I had already started to come round to the idea of a bypass - having read other people's stories on minis. Also, quite a big factor for me was the aftercare involved with the band. I had read about people having fluid taken out of the band before a long haul flight, etc., and having refills. I just didn't feel that this was for me. I wanted a solution to my problem that was going to enable me to simply get on with my life in a healthy way. I didn't feel I wanted the ongoing 'messing about' that the band might entail. I had read about some people needing a bypass after a band. Again, I didn't feel this was for me. It's hard enough going through wls once,I never mind putting yourself through it a second time. Fortunately, my PCT will fund wls, but I can understand that cost is a big factor.
I think you should do your research as thoroughly as you can, and be sure that you are happy with your decision. There are lots of success stories on here, from banders. It's really what best suits your personal needs.
Good Luck,
Sue x

cazbandy said it all really.
when I had the band fitted,I was in two minds after a few months whether or not I should have gone ahead and had the bypass. But then I found out that you can cheat the bypass just as easily as you can cheat the band, it us up to you how successfull you want to be, and getting in the right frame of mind before surgery will help you to make a start in the right direction. Make an informed decision and stick with it, never doubt what option you chose. The band and the bypass only do a certain percentage of the work, you still have to do the rest and the sooner you realise that is the case, the more successfull you will be. Neither option is an instant fix, and like Roseanne Barr said, "you pay a price for everything you do, whether it is a bypass or a nose job, there is a price to pay. Get the best advise from a consultant, who will base their decision on what they think is best for you, then research the option they suggest, and decide before committing to surgery that you can do your part also. Good luck and hope that you get the information to help you make the best choice. Regards
Mynewlife

even though i went private the cost didnt really influence my decision to have lapriscopic gastric bypass. i too worried about the higher faliure rates with banding...and if i was going to do this 'big thing' i wanted it to work. another factor for me was the faffing about that comes with banding...the fills etc, and for me i wanted it done and dusted in one go. i am glad i made the decision i did and went for the bypass...it was the right one for me and i do not regret it at all. take all the advice you can and make the decision that is right for you, and if you are going private try not to let the money issue influence your decision...although i know this is hard! good luck x

Going to play devils advocate here.

If you look at the stats on NHS funded surgery, you will see that the vast majority are bypass. To get a band on the NHS most patients have to push for one or ask for one, they are rarely offered or advocated as the best choice for a person.

Why?

Simply put, the bypass is more effective for the majority of the population. The band has a 40% failure rate and relies 99% on the patients dedication and hard work.

There are far more revision surgeries for band patients than there are for bypass.

I completely understand that for many, the choice is financially driven, as a band is initially cheaper than a bypass. With aftercare and fills though, and potentially removal or rebanding every 15-20 years, in the long term it could be argued that the bypass is the cheaper option.

Yes, it is theoretically possible to 'cheat' a bypass. But it's an awful lot harder than it is to cheat a band, particularly with dumping syndrome.

I read on here often people who are at their bands sweet spot that can't eat meat or complex carbs such as rice or wholewheat pasta, or salad/raw veg etc. As a bypasser, the only food that causes me problems is chips! Now which sounds like the healthier option to avoid?

I know I could easily be seen as biased, being a bypass patient, but after researching my heart out and listening to patients of all procedures on a number of forums, given the choice again I would choose a bypass every time.

Back