• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band or not to band!

Lozer

Hi all I'm just wondering how u made the decision for the band?

Can u eat everything like meat ect as heard alot of things get stuck??

How is ur daily life with it???

Trying to make a decision! :-/

Thanks x

Not to band get a sleeve or a bypass :eek:

You will have lots of things that get stuck, but what works for me may not work for you.

You learn to eat differently whatever wls you have. It becomes the new normal and is second nature pretty soon.

Daily life is normal with it, normal is a new normal, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Simples.

It's reversible and not major major surgery.

It's cheaper.

It's a lot of faffing to get your fills right to that sweet spot.

Mine currently has a mind of its own and I had to get an emergency de-fill last night. Had it since last summer and having conversion to bypass in a month.

Big welcome ... The bands not for everyone, but I love mine. I have lost 150lbs. As thinnerjemima says, you have to change your eating habits whichever wls you have. No surgery is a guarantee. A lot is down to the individual.

Things can get stuck, but not often for me now ... Depends how tight the band is...mine varies throughout the month. I don't have mine mega tight generally though, as I like to be able to eat all sorts of foods, jut in smaller quantities than before. I can eat most things including pasta, bread, meat, but sensible amounts. Maybe a slice of bread rather than 4 or 6 :rolleyes: just a couple of tablespoons of rice or pasta; minced or braised meat is easier to eat that steak ... Having said that I did manage to eat a very tender teeny fillet steak a few months ago ... But that was a one off, after a couple of glasses of red wine, which had obviously relaxed me :rolleyes: We are all different though, so what some people manage, others can struggle with.

I live a normal life, eating out maybe four times a week, however tend to not try new foods when out, but stick with what I have already tried at home, so I can confidently sit and eat without worrying I am going to have to rush to the loos. Carry plastic tub with me, because if I don't have a starter use portion, I often find myself coming home with half a normal size portion, in my handbag :eek:

Have you had a consultation with a provider (s) yet?

I am nhs hoping to have funding for June so hoping by sep to have had surgery. Have 1st 6lbs to lose before can go before the board. I'm debating between sleeve and bypass but consultant said not to rule out band so fort it best to ask those who have had it as they no best! ;)

Someone on the forum in the last few days had an NHS band and they have stopped funding fills etc, so does seem to have been dumped in the mire by her bariatric unit!

Eventually everyone will have to get their band out, maybe if you are lucky 10 to 15 years down the line. There will be faffing for months, then when you get that spot you are on your way....

All procedures will have problems. All procedures you need to change your eating habits for. A new normal will be your life. My old normal made me fat anyway, so who needs it!!

Personally if I hadn't been such a wimp I should get a sleeve. I want to keep the rest of my stomach, and I have diabetes issues so I am getting a bypass.

O really did they not tell her before??? Yeh seems like quite alot of messing around. I'm leaning towards the sleeve or bypass but when he first asked me I said the bypass but now not sure as he reckons one is not any better then the other :-/ I sort of wish he would make the decision for me lol x

hi - just interested as to why everyone will have to have their band removed at some point. I always thought once in it was in for life x

Eventually most people will get band issues for no particular reason or no fault of their own. Slippage, erosion, no weight loss, miscellaneous issues, etc.

Mine's coming out after 10 months due to port issues. Love my band but my port hates me (and vice versa).

Someone on the forum in the last few days had an NHS band and they have stopped funding fills etc, so does seem to have been dumped in the mire by her bariatric unit!

Eventually everyone will have to get their band out, maybe if you are lucky 10 to 15 years down the line. There will be faffing for months, then when you get that spot you are on your way....

All procedures will have problems. All procedures you need to change your eating habits for. A new normal will be your life. My old normal made me fat anyway, so who needs it!!

Personally if I hadn't been such a wimp I should get a sleeve. I want to keep the rest of my stomach, and I have diabetes issues so I am getting a bypass.

Not sure where the statistics come from to say that EVERYONE will have to have their band removed :confused: There are risks with any type of surgery ... Weight loss related or not, and often risks with not taking action also. It's all about weighing up all options together with risks and benefits then making an individual choice. Personally, I have had no issues with my band, and no major faffing around...maybe just 21 months after my band op its early doors ... But I am extremely happy with it and the feeling of self-control its given me. Each to their own though ... Sleeve, wrap, bypass or band :)

No, not definitely. Just that many people many years down the line have to get them out.

Many NHS aren't fitting them now.

I think it was in the news recently that somewhere in the USA is stopping fitting them.

I knew this from my own research and my surgeon told me before my op I decided at the time that the risks / odds were acceptable to me.

I've been back to my surgeon 18 times, 3 operations, 12 texts, 9 emergency phone calls, lots of emails. It's probably more normal to not have problems. 2 emergency de-fills, one this week late at night.

There is no reason to suggest you will need to have your band removed. The first band was only fitted 15 years ago and its going strong!

In those 15 years things have changed - a lot! the bands used now are far superior to the ones from years ago. When one is fitted it is with every intention of it staying there.

People do have problems 'sometimes' ThinnerJemima has obviously decided the band doesn't suit her - BUT please be careful what you post on here, you are not an expert or medically qualified. What you have posted is clearly alarming some of the pre op banders. The original poster asked why banders chose to have the band and what was life like with it. Stick to the subject please, if you have issues with your choice, that says more about the advice you received from your team but ultimately it was your choice, as you quite rightly said. I hope the bypass works out better for you x

Thank you.

lousarah, if you have concerns, talk them over with your provider and hopefuly they will put your mind at rest x

No, not definitely. Just that many people many years down the line have to get them out. .

So where have you got the information from? What proof is there for what you are claiming? I'd like to see the report or research or findings that suggests this is the case, because in the 7 years of research I did pre-op I've never seen that stated anywhere.

Last edited:

Hello there, I am not sure if your referring to my recent post ( apologies if its not) but I wasnt dumped by my bariatric unit, Yes local Nhs funding provider ( only the hospital) have had their funding withdrawn by Nhs and I have to go via Gp to be referred for fills/problem etc. When I went down the Nhs route for being banded at the time it was with a lifetime aftercare package but at this time the Nhs was funding for fills/defills and problematic issues etc, its only through the funds being taken away from by hospital that I have to go down the Gp route to be referred to be seen at the hospital. ( hope that makes sense,lol) so I would like to clear up I wasnt dumped by them at all the issues were taken out of the hopsitals hands. ( again I apologise if u didnt mean me) and I hope its cleared the situation up x x thanks 2 all. BD. x x

Back