• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The downsides of the band

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Hey all....have been banded for 6 weeks and i LOVE it, however, with everything there are downsides..... and i think it might be a good idea to list what u found u didnt like/took time getting used to.

Seen a few worried posts about how good the band is....i cant state this clearly enough....the band is the best decision i ever made, but be aware of the following 'niggles;:

1. it does hurt post op and u will need someone to help u out if u have kids
2. dont expect to be driving around till at least 10 days when ur wound is healed
3. u might get infections in ur wounds...unlikely as havent heard anyone here having them
4. u have to wear surgical stockings for 6 weeks post op, u also have to inject urself for 2 weeks post op to keep the blood thin and not clot.
5. u will have shoulder pain. it does hurt a lot in the first few days.
6. at about 3 weeks u may feel totally down ....this is normal. u will question ur decicsion and feel sad about ur new life changes u are having to adopt (band is a new way of eating). but u will overcome these post op blues and be be feeling fine in a matter of days
7. u will stall. it will get to u..but this is normal!
8. the band will not stop ur head hunger, that battle will continue
9.u will have to keep going back for fills. sometimes they may have problems locating the port and u could need surgery again

feel free to add more to this. think its a good heads up to some of the new bandits or pre oppers.

Neen

WLS Moderator
I didn't have stockings or injections but

The band does not work for you on autopilot. If you don't make an effort nothing will change...you have to follow a healthy eating plan and exercise to get the best out of it.

If you do the above you will cope a lot better whilst waiting for restriction.

You can still eat a lot of choc, ice cream etc...lots of naughty food is slider food. Basically , again...if you think the band will magically make you lose weight , not eat or not get hungry then you are in for a nasty wake up call.

If you go into it prepared to change the habits that got you fat enough for surgical intervention, then you have a much better chance of successful weight loss. You get results for a sensible effort.

BlueDiamond

Hey all....have been banded for 6 weeks and i LOVE it, however, with everything there are downsides..... and i think it might be a good idea to list what u found u didnt like/took time getting used to.

Seen a few worried posts about how good the band is....i cant state this clearly enough....the band is the best decision i ever made, but be aware of the following 'niggles;:

1. it does hurt post op and u will need someone to help u out if u have kids
2. dont expect to be driving around till at least 10 days when ur wound is healed
3. u might get infections in ur wounds...unlikely as havent heard anyone here having them
4. u have to wear surgical stockings for 6 weeks post op, u also have to inject urself for 2 weeks post op to keep the blood thin and not clot.
5. u will have shoulder pain. it does hurt a lot in the first few days.
6. at about 3 weeks u may feel totally down ....this is normal. u will question ur decicsion and feel sad about ur new life changes u are having to adopt (band is a new way of eating). but u will overcome these post op blues and be be feeling fine in a matter of days
7. u will stall. it will get to u..but this is normal!
8. the band will not stop ur head hunger, that battle will continue
9.u will have to keep going back for fills. sometimes they may have problems locating the port and u could need surgery again

feel free to add more to this. think its a good heads up to some of the new bandits or pre oppers.

Can relate to number 7 & 9 as didn't/have 2 do none of the rest, But on the upside I have lost lots of weight, and as far as I am concerned the good outweighs ( no pun intended) the bad ( or should I say blips)Julie xxx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Good idea MB, however its worth pointing out that each journey will be different!

For instance:

I was driving after a week and was back at work too. I was fine by this stage.

I didnt have the stockings and I injected for a week.

I did get the post op blues big time and also went through a mourning period. The first time I was upset post band and couldnt eat what I would have normally really was tough.

If you have emotional eating problems I would advise anyone to seek help with this, even if its self help. Sabbotaging your own weight loss can be a big problem.

The most important bit really is you have to adapt quickly to the new way of eating - having something early on because you can tolerate it does not set you up for the long haul.

Finally - you have to start to move about a bit more, walk, swim whatever x x x

Miss hungry

7 stone lighter!
Good post magic.
I didn't have to have injections or wear stockings.
I was driving after 4 days.
I did get a wound infection.
But apart from that the rest is spot on!
I'm finding things a bit difficult at the moment, wanting to eat ALL the time and the head hunger driving me mad, but I hope it's just another phase.
It is not an easy journey having WLS!
xxx

DukeAmirOften

Great thread...thank you for the info!! x

Sarah Metcalf

Great thread, I love how everyones stories differ.

I didn't have injections but wore the stockings for 5 weeks

Soluble paracetomol is rank, buy some calpol, it's still not nice but far better than the adult stuff

I got the bandy blues as well, I watched a soppy film, had a good cry and felt much better

Please don't expect huge losses, losing 1 or 2lbs a week with an occasional 'stay the same' is normal

I've got an awkward port which makes fills unpleasant

Rice, bread and pasta should be avoided as they can stretch the pouch or can get stuck which is very uncomfortable

However, at 3 stone lighter I'm so pleased I had it done :)

Miss hungry

7 stone lighter!
Great thread, I love how everyones stories differ.

I didn't have injections but wore the stockings for 5 weeks

Soluble paracetomol is rank, buy some calpol, it's still not nice but far better than the adult stuff

I got the bandy blues as well, I watched a soppy film, had a good cry and felt much better

Please don't expect huge losses, losing 1 or 2lbs a week with an occasional 'stay the same' is normal

I've got an awkward port which makes fills unpleasant

Rice, bread and pasta should be avoided as they can stretch the pouch or can get stuck which is very uncomfortable

However, at 3 stone lighter I'm so pleased I had it done :)
Hey me too (the awkward port)! Fill are certaintly interesting.
xxx

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Calpol! what an awesome tip. gotta agree...soluble stuff is a nightmare as u can bearly drink enough fluid in the early days so i had to make it super concentrated which made it super rank!

chops hang in there...i felt so crap like what an idiot i am.....but now 6 weeks in im so much happier. losing weight is a great feeling and it just takes time adjusting to a new way

Majella

I had my op last thursday and no injections or stockings for me. I am sure some of the rest might affect me over the next few weeks but back to work tomorrow so life goes on - taking it one day at a time and going to try and embrace it with a positive head x