• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band or bypass.............how did you choose???

Meggie

I was just wondering how people decided whether a band or bypass was the best decision for them? Is it a decision you made alone or on recommendations from doctors???

Thanks

Hi the doctor/surgeon usually advices on which is best for you based on various factors. I was adviced to have a bypass.

What factors do they take into consideration?? Sorry for all the questions! I want to be as informed as possible for when I actually got my referral. Hopefully that will come through quickly! Wonder how long it'll take!?!??!

I am still waiting for funding. I went to an obesity clinic at our local hospital and followed the milk diet for 3 months and lost 3 stone but as I started to eat again it started to regain. So the consultant recommended gastric bypass. He said I am capable of loosing a certain amount of weight but it always goes back on. I have also tried various other diets over the years ww sw orlistat which I am now back on until further notice. They like to see evidence that you have tried to loose weight on your own. Good luck, ask as many questions as you like it is how we all learn. If I can't answer them then somebody else will certainly help. Everyone is so helpful and friendly.

hi if your a volume eater a band is normaly best for you and if your a grazer with a sweet tooth then a bypass is the one for you as you can still eat choc,ice cream as they just go through the band, your surgon will advise you on whats best for you x x x x x x sarah

I'm definitely a volume eater! Though I do have a sweet tooth aswell!! I do eat far too much and find it damn near impossible to stop myself!!!

i was everthing rolled into one a volume eater that eat all day with a sweet tooth and a addiction to fizzy pop x x x

My name is Ellen and I'm a food/chocolate/coke-aholic!!!

I have done most of my research about the band and I think that seems like it'd suit me. I don't know enough about the bypass so need to look into that further. I definitely need something that will stop me eating and drinking coke!!!

My name is Ellen and I'm a food/chocolate/coke-aholic!!!

hi ellen, im liz i have a band, by what your describing a bypass sounds a better option for you as a band can be cheated easily with those food types x

Hi Meggie and Ellen
I'm having a bypass as i'm addicted to chocolate and diet pepsi. Consultant advised that i could get both of these past a band so a bypass is what i need. Knowing like you Sarah they will make me ill is exactly what i need to stop. Also i'm going private and would not want to waste my late Dad's inheritance. xx

¬

Dr usually adivises you, cant tell yah which one to go for as if you feel in future you wanted diffrent he can nt be blamed. Personally I found the bypass usefull but thats just me!

Interesting. I'm glad I asked!! I'd better do my full research of both then!!!

The bypass sounds far scarier but I've heard the results are better with it. Obviously I'd never go and get something done without having fully-researched it beforehand!! Sunday's job I guess!!!!

Does anyone know of any good websites that describe the bypass in detail???

Definately do lots of research I have researched the internet, books this website and others. Good luck. Make sure you allow plenty of time it takes hours.

I just typed in Gastric bypass and you get loads of different websites I went on the bospa site as well the dr recommended that one.

Back