• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to Bypass

effemm

I had my band removed about fourteen months ago and I've been regaining weight since. Saw a surgeon (Chris Pring) on Friday and he has recommended a bypass. I'm keen to go ahead with it, as I don't want to end up back at square one, but I know it's a big operation and wondered if anyone has any advice. My main concern is that I will never be able to eat out again and will I regurgitate if I overeat.

I am 1 yr and 2 months post bypass and I eta out quite often, I went for my firts meal out when I was on the mush stage, I explained I had an op on tummy n could only eat a small amount. They were great I had braised steak on mash the steak just broke up and was in gravy ate what I could they charged me £2.50. Whenever I go out now I take with me a box to bring home what I don't eat usually chicken n salad. Gives me my lunch for the next day. I would say go for it you will be surprised not as bad a s you think. xx

I had my bypass almost a year ago, I eat out at least 3 times a week, your life isn't over. I went to a do last week where they served a four course meal! I ate the tomato off the starter, a slice of beef and some veg from the main and the raspberries off the white choc cheesecake from the dessert. The men on the table were more than happy to eat my leftovers. Just because i now have a small appetite doesn't mean I can't live like any other normal person. I am going away next weekend to a hotel offering bed breakfast and evening meal. I just don't eat as much as hubby! I tend not to order main course if i go out for an ordinary meal, I just explain that I don't eat much and is it ok to order a starter and have it when others have their main, or I have a few bites of whtever hubby is having. No one bats an eyelid. I had a few odd looks when I was still massive, I think they were thinking "small appetite!!! Who is she kidding!!" lol.
I know some do have problems with being sick if they over eat, but not everyone. I haven't been sick at all since my op, if I over eat I just feel very uncomfortable! A walk and a drink gets rid of the feeling though. Stop worrying and start living again I say.
Good luck xx

Same as me Marie, never been sick yet xx love eating out just take what I leave home for next day xx

I am a band to bypass and it's been soooo much better now I've had it done. The band for me was a complete nightmare and the bypass in my opinion is far easier, I can eat anything just less of it. With the band there was loads of foods I couldn't eat and I was sick loads. So I would say the bypass is fantastic and I wish I had of had it first x

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to go ahead with it. Likely op date 25th Jan next year.
Misshell - did you have the revision surgery all done at the same time? did it take you long to recover?

Its bad enough having to have surgery once, hey?! good luck with your second op, hope it works out for you xx

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to go ahead with it. Likely op date 25th Jan next year.
Misshell - did you have the revision surgery all done at the same time? did it take you long to recover?

Yes i had the band taken out and the bypass at the same time, i had to have the fluid taken out of the band 6 weeks before the op though, not sure if all surgeons require this? I had my op and was up and about that evening, and my recovery was the same as a "normal" bypasser. I had complications because they found a hernia while doing the op and that has given me more trouble than the actual bypass :confused:. The pain was minimal though and much better than i thought it might be.

I eat out quite often too and have no problems. I was sick a lot in the beginning as I adjusted but that all went away after about 8 weeks. Now I'm only ever sick if I eat something very dry, reheated chicken without sauce was the last offender but that was over a month ago. I tolerate pretty much all food but just much smaller portions. With eating out I take a container to take home left overs for the next day. If I don't want to do that then I'll let who ever else I'm with enjoy some of mine. I'll always just order a starter for my main course and the waiters never have problem with that.

Sorry the band didn't work out for you but best of luck with the bypass. It was the best thing I've ever done. Chris Pring is an excellent surgeon so you will be in good hands :) x

I eat out all the time too. I also take a box or ask for a doggy bag. It's never a problem. I had my Christmas 'do' with work 3 weeks out too and had salmon and sauce with some mash potato which went down fine when I mashed it thoroughly. I couldn't exist without enjoying a meal out. I can eat most things now except eggs don't go down well. I can never fit in a pudding but might have a teaspoons worth off someone elses.

Kate x

Same here, eating out with friends is a big part of my social life. I'm only about 6 weeks post op, but have eaten out a few times. Just had a starter, or chose a tapas / small plates restaurant. I also had a weekend away with friends recently, 3 nights in a cottage, and was able to graze quite a lot. Didn't gain an ounce which was great.

Back