• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall bladder removed during Bypass ?

Hello....I have recently been perusing the FAQ's for St Richards and they said they would only remove a gall bladder if there were persistent stones/problems present and would normally not be done with the keyhole procedure, therefore taking a longer healing process with open surgery wounds.
Hope this helps :)

I had mine removed at the same time as my bypass surgery. They did it through the same keyhole surgery as they did the bypass, no extra incisions were made.
Lynne x

I had mine removed during open bypass surgery and don't think it made that much difference, just grateful I didn't have to put up with the hideous pain of stones, which as you will have been told are a very common side affect after the surgery
Hope this helps x?

I am having my gallbladder removed during my gastric bypass surgery. I asked my surgeon if this would extend the recovery time and he said no, he said I would probably not notice any extra discomfort due to it being in the area of surgery.

Here's hoping lol!!

I had to have mine removed six months after my bypass wish they had done it at the same time as it took me ages to recover from the removal of my gall bladder xxx and gave me complications at the being of my wls that could have been avoided xxx

I had my gall bladder removed at the same time as my bypass as i had gall stones. I had 8 keyhole incision wounds in total, which seemed more than some of my friends who haven't had it removed, but i'm not sure if this is why.
Having it removed did not impact on my recovery / healing process of my bypass and i'm glad i had it all done at once rather than having to go back in for a second surgery.
Although i've had no problems from my bypass site i am still having discomfort from my gall bladder site. I still find it difficult to lift and carry heavy objects and can't do any exercise that involved jiggling about. Apparantly this does happen for some patients and cann take a couple of years to improve, which is very frustrating (i'm 16 months post op). I have also developed an issue with codeine medication. Despite taking it for twenty years, after my op it has suddenly started causing bile duct spasms, whic feels similar to passing a gall stone. But, i still don't regret having it done as the gall stones were awful and would have got worse with the rapid weight loss.

Back