• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band V Bypass (Website)

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
thanks just read this page its help me make up my mind iam booked for band on the 28th feb and i have been woundering have i made the right choice think i have now xxxx ty

is difficult im post op now but my bmi eating habits and dr said bypass was the right op but my head says band was what i needed and it was right , but intresting to read

This has deffinately made my mind up too, I am going for the band, I was umming and arring to go for the bypass as i didnt want to fail with the band . But I know I will be fine lets just hope I get what I want x (and so do you lot)xx

Lisa - which but has made you think you are right with band ?

SerenityLove, I think you are doing excellent with the band. The most popular choice on here seems to be bypass and the band seems more of a "temporary" fix BUT I am sure thats not how it is at all especially reading the website.
My biggest worry was loose skin as I really was to do things like swimming and wear nicer clothes -not that this should affect you but it would me as I worry far too much what people think of me and how i look. It says that it is more likely how quicly you lose the weight to happen i.e. with a bypass. It also says that the band over 5 years can potentially help you lose more than the bypass.
I suppose time will tell (hopefully)
x

LOL hardly an unbiased website! 'From the American Gastric Banding Society'

That's so funny. I was reading the side effects and thought hmmm this has been laid out very one sided, so looked around and found out who true results are. Makes a lot of sense now :D Interestingly it neglects to mention that most of the bypass side effects are effects of any surgery, there is no mortality rate for band patients, and it doesn't mention the 40-50% failure rate either.

If we're going to have sites like this linked in, it needs to be made clear to anyone who can click through who is publishing the info and that it is not an objective site. That's like asking the Labour party what the Conservatives are like!

This has deffinately made my mind up too, I am going for the band, I was umming and arring to go for the bypass as i didnt want to fail with the band . But I know I will be fine lets just hope I get what I want x (and so do you lot)xx

Lisa - which but has made you think you are right with band ?

i just know i made the right choice for me i couldnt handle the finality of the bypass that sadly is the extent of my food addiction i think! i can still eat alot of stuff i want but in small amounts i do look at people who bypassed at same time i was banded and yes they have lost 2 or 3 times as much weight as me ,but the sacrifice of loosing the weight quickly wasnt worth it for me. the band is harder work you can cheat easily but if you work with it it will work for you, and im determined!! iv also learnt alot of tricks to help myself say i have a sweet toothed day i dont eat chocolate i have a choc muffin because the consistency doesnt agree with the band 2 mouthfulls and im feeling uncomfortable but still feel i had something nice lol it probably didnt help i had a friend who regretted the bypass she had once her weight was gone . im band biased probably because i love mine it such a personal thing what is right for someone

I think really the best advice to get is from a surgeon and not a website which is promoting one type of WLS. I was considered for a band but the surgeon thought it wasn't a good choice for me because I am an emotional eater who sometimes binges. Lap bands are not suitable for people who continue to eat even when they are full. I am one of those people who needs help with portion control, and so the surgeon decided a sleeve gastrectomy was appropriate for me. He's the expert. I'm going with his decision. Good luck with your surgery!

and so the surgeon decided a sleeve gastrectomy was appropriate for me. He's the expert.

Absolutely.

Take great care about what you read on the net, especially when the website belongs to some organisation that are likely to make a finacial gain by reporting their 'research' ;)

Best bet is to discuss it with your surgeon to find the right way for you.

I think really the best advice to get is from a surgeon and not a website which is promoting one type of WLS. I was considered for a band but the surgeon thought it wasn't a good choice for me because I am an emotional eater who sometimes binges. Lap bands are not suitable for people who continue to eat even when they are full. I am one of those people who needs help with portion control, and so the surgeon decided a sleeve gastrectomy was appropriate for me. He's the expert. I'm going with his decision. Good luck with your surgery!

i half agree and half dont as i didnt follow surgeons advice and am doing well i think you have to go with what feels right for you individually but do agree a website leaning one way or other is not the way forward

I honestly didnt realise it was a band based company - no wonder it was saying everything i wanted it to LOL

Back