• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band vs Bypass

My sleeve surgeon hates the band with a passion and has stopped offering it altogether.
I think if the band works for you, it's great as it can be removed. The others are more drastic. I wish the band had worked for me, sadly it didn't and I went for the sleeve conversion which I love and I am so happy I had it done but it is with me forever.

I went private and my provider went through all of the various forms of WLS and what would be best in terms of me, my eating and where I wanted to be. It was my own personal choice however to have the band. And altho Sashie above says her sleeve is with her forever - my band is and it it is a form of wls which while reversible is still considered to be in place forever!

I love my band!

I love my bypass. It is the gold standard and I pretty final and permanent but I had a bmi of 68. It was my only option as far a I was concerned and my surgeon agreed. We can only tell you about our ops - at he end of the day it's a discussion you should always have with you and our surgeon

I love my bypass. It is the gold standard and I pretty final and permanent but I had a bmi of 68. It was my only option as far a I was concerned and my surgeon agreed. We can only tell you about our ops - at he end of the day it's a discussion you should always have with you and our surgeon
Your progress is phenomenal,given your starting bmi, have you found it difficult,are you eating normally now?

I eat pretty much what I want and I find ican eat more than some. I do still diet as I am worried about slow down but it is so true that these ops are just tools. You will still need to eat carefully whatever route you choose. I have gone from size 38 to size 18 today :)

If you are a private patient its pretty much up to you which op you have, of course you will be guided by your providers professional opinion.

In all honesty though there is no gain for them pushing you towards a band, its cheaper than a bypass or sleeve, then theres the aftercare aspect for upwards of 1 year post op (ie fills etc).

I'm lucky enough to be granted funding from nhs,but during all consultations a band has never been considered

My hospital no longer do them. Personally I am hearing a lot of stories about complications post op with the band. Not immediately as the surgery is safer, but 5/6 years down the line. Also hear malabsorption issues from bypassers. So its a difficult one. You don't mention your bmi, but ultimately your op should suit your eating patterns - my relationship with food was (and still is) awful so the bypass was my route. The band works really well for some, but it might be worth keeping a food diary and so on to see your eating habits as they will majorly impact the surgery that is suitable for you.

have to say I love all things that are bad for me,cheese is my weakness,along with take aways,my current bmi is 53,recently started healthy eating in order to lose 10kg,but no pre-op diet has been mentioned at this stage

Good luck on your journey kjb, just a point though - this section is the 'old' part of the forum. Its not really used.

Do you want me to move this thread?

No problem.

Join in on the pre op threads - beginning your journey section. I will move this there.

With that bmi I suspect you would be advised to go for bypass by all surgeons. But do your research - it is your body and your choice.

I have had a band and a bypass and I find the bypass far better I loved my band but to live a life the bypass out weighs the band by far
Things got stuck in the band I was throwing up then it slipped then its inflating deflating were the bypass is so much better.
Sorry banders bypass wins my vote but I do think to anyone thinking of a band should look at a sleeve rather than a band as my friend had one and they are doing great

]
With that bmi I suspect you would be advised to go for bypass by all surgeons. But do your research - it is your body and your choice.

Not necessarily. My bmi was 54 and when I spoke at length with my provider he agreed that based on my history, lifestyle and choices the band was the best option. Having a high bmi doesn't rule out the band....

I have had a band and a bypass and I find the bypass far better I loved my band but to live a life the bypass out weighs the band by far
Things got stuck in the band I was throwing up then it slipped then its inflating deflating were the bypass is so much better.
Sorry banders bypass wins my vote but I do think to anyone thinking of a band should look at a sleeve rather than a band as my friend had one and they are doing great

I have a band and I "live my life" while your own experience with a band may not have been good and everyone is entitled to their preferences it doesn't necessarily mean that the band is not right for others. There are lots of people on here with bands who live a life...

I think people need to look at all the options and choose what is right for them for their lifestyle and their needs not going on people's "suggestions" which could in fact not be relevant or appropriate.

I think you misunderstood me Kat - I am pretty sure it will be the surgeons first recommendation. I was suggesting the OP research and make sure it's why they want.

As this is nhs funded,I have not been given an option,it seems bypass or nothing,I respect there opinion,especially as the cost of the bypass is nearly double the band

I agree every one has there own feeling mine are what I think but the band was fantastic and I really loved it now I have a bypass I find that far better but still loved the band the bypass is so much easier to live with only down side is having vitamin b injections

Back