• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band vs Bypass

In my neck of the woods the band is VERY unpopular and many surgeons have stopped doing it. Main reason is it has a high failure rate. Most people know if you drink something hot it opens up and you can eat whatever you want. And alot of people who have had the band get it revised for a bypass. Just do your research, and pick whichever seems right for you.

People get very protective of their surgeries on here. It makes me giggle but in all seriousness you have to do what is right for you. No surgeon, nhs or otherwise, can make you do something you don't want to do. So arm your self with information and make the best decision for you. It's extremely important as what ever surgery you have is for life, band or bypass (band are reversible, so are bypasses but finding someone to do that unless you are very ill or have a lot of money is another matter). Post op I heard about the duodenal switch, with my starting bmi of 69 and my eating habits (I can leave sweet stuff, much rather fatty foods which the DS would have been a deterrent) I felt I'd made a mistake but not doing enough research to find about about the DS. I've done well so far with the bypass though, so we shall see. All the best what ever your decision, you can see from this forum. if you are determined enough every surgery works! :D

Shelley - I originally wanted the ds. My hospital refused to do it on the grounds that the level of vitamin deficiency was causing serious malabsorption in people.

My BMI was 55 or something and I went into my consultation with a lot of info on the band because that is I wanted a band. The NHS doesn't like wasting money and my surgeon said a bypass from the start as that was the best one to get 60-70% of my excess weight off. OMG how completely shocked was I and she could tell from my face then she asked if I was ready for surgery, my reply was yes for a band but not a bypass.

If you ask me if I love my bypass my reply is no but I've had no complications so far. No improvements either as I'm still taking blood pressure meds etc. Pre op I was a dinner time binger(nothing all day then a TON of big bag crisps at dinner time) another reason the band was not right dietitian said

I do think the dieticians have seen it time and again, but that said, some of us do beat the odds. Nothing trumps personal motivation. And I truly admire the successful banders - they make the best of their tools.

I have several friends, 4 I can think of without any difficulty who have had a band and 4/5 years down the line are bigger now than before. Mainly because of lack of will power. But it is something that over time they have found ways around.
One friend went from a size 28 down to a 12 and is now back at a 20 and facing the prospect of having her bowel removed as the band has caused her liver and bowel to fuse together. She had her band about 10 years ago and has had to have it deflated, the surgeons have no idea what to do with her.
I knew that with my disability it didnt matter whether I was 30 stone or 10 stone I could not move any more and my will power over time is zero! Although I was a BMI of 41 at time of consultation I knew that I wanted the bypass and my consultant agreed.

Lack of willpower was the reason I chose a bypass. I knew if I had an opportunity to cheat the band I would. I'm 100% happy with my bypass. Also the fear of dumping and the lack of nutritional content of junk food, sweets, cakes, biscuits etc really helps to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Yes the band may be reversible, but its more dangerous to remove it than to put it in. You are so right Shelley, we do each tend to be protective as to the type of surgery that's worked for us, or negative if its not worked. But none of the surgeries is 100 % without risk or 100% guaranteed to be successful ... Each to their own. Most important thing in any of our journeys is us, and how we each choose to use or abuse our own tools.

I :heartpump: my band :)

See I just wanted the most drastic, most permanent thing I could possibly have. I didn't want to know it was reversible, I needed something that scared me enough and was drastic enough that I knew it was my last chance.

Back