• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band vs Bypass, what made you decide

Pookiedoodle

Totally in love with Mika
So, I've been reading all of your posts over the past few weeks, and I am wondering what made you go with the decision of either a band or a bypass.

I am seeing my consultant for my 1st appt on 22 July, and I'm sure we will discuss my options, but I really wanted to ask all of you why you chose what you did.

Thanks everyone

Hi Emma, I chose the band but the band chose me too. My Surgeon explained the best option for me was the band because of my lifestyle and eating habits. I wanted to be in control of what i eat but also have to make a choice for myself in eating healthy.

The band is a tool and i have to work with it. It doesn't work for me y'see ...far from it. I'll have to choose what i eat but the qty will be just alot smaller. I have to excercise very hard to keep the momentum of weightloss.

I'm not saying the bypass is in anyway the easy option in any shape or form as from the posts on here you'll read all about the good points and the bad points but i do feel i was unable to go through that type of operation in my life at the moment. I felt the bypass carried risks i would be unable to cope with or want to cope with in my life at this time.

I recently have just got over a very traumatic experience which i still seek councelling for and i'm doing very well and was asked so many questions by my doctors and surgeon and they felt in the circumstances the bypass was not for me and the band would give me the results and way of life i am looking for.

Yes i have a problem with food but the strength i have for changing my lifestyle with food is immense and that determination meant the band was a suitable option for me. I don't fear the Bypass or what is does ...it works for most people but through months of research i decided the band is something i felt i could work with and also a factor was that i have no children and one day i do want too ( i'm 32) and was told that the band would allow me to still eat healthy carrying a child and get the nutrients i would need because it can be unfilled to allow my stomach to go back to normal and then after it can be filled again and allow me to lose that excess weight .

I'm not saying its not ok to have a baby with a bypass by any means ...it was just something i felt was suitable for me ,is reversible if need be , fits with my eating habits, personality and everyday lifestyle. xxx

Hi Emma

Ive had a bypass , I went for this because it 80% cures being class 2 diabetic. Plus it not only restricts what you eat but cuts down the amount of cals your body takes from the food.

You will really have to chat with the doctor about it and both decide what would be better. Going on size what your life style is what you expect from the operation.

Ive not looked up the band op much but for the bypass you can lose alot of wieght and fast but the down side is you will be on tablets and a 3 month injection for the rest of your life. And some kinds of sugary food you may not be able to eat again I.E maybe chocolate or boiled sweets (Dumping syndrome) Im on on most things but thick milshakes and pastry make me dump) But that a good thing less crap to eat

If your health is as risk from long term wieght problems then i would say lean towards bypass.

If your young and a little over wieght maybe having problems thats making you add wieght or stress of anykind That you could get sorted later, Then look at the band.

But you must look up all the pros and cons for both operations and weigh them up as your doctor can only advise you so far.
But having a bypass over the long run wont restrict you in anyway (beside the vitamins and 3 month injection)
But the 1st few months you will have to keep going back to the hospital for checks etc

I hope this helps a little . If not atleast reading it ill help you goto sleep :rolleyes:

All my best

Mark

Thanks both so much for taking the time to reply. I'm sure my consultant will go over everything with me and discuss the best option for me.
I'm 34 and have been overweight all of my life, I'm 5'9 and currently weigh just under 21st. I have lost significant amounts of weight, but the same as all of you, it's always come back on again.
I'm not a binger really, I just love my food, and lots of it.
I couldn't imagine my life without chocolate, I adore the stuff, I'm a real chocoholic, ooooooooh, Galaxy, Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
So, from your posts I gather that you lose more, and faster with the bypass, but it restricts what you can eat after?
Why do you have to have injections, what are they for?
The band is slower to lose the weight, but not as harsh, is this right?
I'm not a great exerciser, but i know this will have to change. I walk everywhere, but that's about it, so I'll need to consider some form of exercise to help with the loss.
Can I ask you both how much you've lost & how long it's taken you?
Thanks again so much to you both, now i have my appt, this is on my mind 24/7, and it feels so much better to have people to talk to who are going through the same as me.
:thankyou:

the injections are heparin, to thin the blood and prevent blood clots and DVTs forming after the operation. Being overweight makes you more prone to them anyway, so you have the heparin as a safety measure.

Thanks Shelbell, Mark said you need these for the rest of your life, what's all that about?
With a bypass do you have open or keyhole surgery?
Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Emma:) I'm having the band operation on the 7th July so only at Pre-op Diet stage . So far i've lost 9lbs and still have 1 week to go on it. I started at 20st 12lbs and lost 7lbs to show my Surgeon i was capable of losing weight on my own. Then lost 9lbs so far on my Pre-op and intend to get down to 11stone with my band. Yipee can't wait !!!:scale:

With the Band its done by Keyhole surgery. Takes 45 mins and you can go home the lunchtime the day after. After the band there is no reason to go back to the doctor until you have a fill which increases the size of the band hense tightening the area of which food is allowed to pass thru. It can take from 1 fill to 6 fills to get the correct tightness for each candidate. I'm having my surgery done privately and in the package i receive 2 years aftercare and unlimted fills.

You don't neccesarily lose more weight with the bypass as the band has exactly the same affect after time...really the only difference is the band is reversible and no need for injections etc. On all the operations its recommended you exercise to allow the body to tone up at the same time as the quick immense weight loss. If you read thru the posts people on Bypass have plateaus the same as the band and this can be passed by healthy eating and exercises the same as a normal diet.

The band can be just as harsh because the same as the Bypass...you eat the wrong thing and you would puke it up because the food has no where to go once the golf ball size stomach is full and would sit in your throat! ugh ! ...hence the sickness and diarroeah:sick0019:. Ouch !

Overeating of chocolate and naughty substances would also cause sickness due to the richness and way the stomach would digest the volume:eatdrink051: The band like i said is a tool ...like arm bands for swimming.,without them you might sink but with them you would definitly stay afloat and able to float for a long time.

The band if you misuse it...you'd be sorry.:cry: Overeating can cause the band to erode ( becomes part of your stomach lining) due to the stretching that is caused by the volume you put into it:character00264:. So the only way for this not to happen is for you to make the right choices , you are still able to eat anything you like but the volume will be that of a childs meal. So if you decided to eat a large bar of galaxy ...it would go in....but you would feel sick, nauseous and put on weight and sabotage your weightloss and health.

People assume if you have a sweet tooth not to have a band but isn't any of the operations about lifestyle changes, food choices and healthy eating? Why would anyone want to sabotage the chance they have been given for the product that made them overweight in the first place.:eek:

Its a very hard decision to make to decide which operation is best for you. I just went on the basis that i wanted something to help me forever, that was reversible if need be and helped me lose weight. The choice is yours :) but your doctor will be the one who will give you the best option for you and your health. :p xxxxx

Phew, that was a long one Lovebug, thank you.
Oooh, it's so bright outside & I've come in & my eyes are all blurry, I can't focus properly, hehe!
Well, I feel as though you are all helping to educate me so much, at least when i go to see my consultant I will be armed with a whole heap of knowledge that I'm sure many people wouldn't know at my stage, so that should impress him, that I seem to know what I'm talking about. I want him to realise that I have thought about this for a long time - 2 years actually, and I have learned as much as I can about the procedures.
Thanks again for all of your advice everyone, it really is appreciated.

I went to my consultation with the surgeon Emma, without having made a firm decision either way.
As someone with a huge sweet tooth, on the reasearch i had done i thought the bypass would be better for me, but ended up opting for the band.
This was what the surgeon felt was best for someone of my age, BMI, lifestyle and circumstances and I was happy to go with his advice.
I am lucky, as part of the aftercare for me is a monthly support group which is run locally so i should get lots of advice there but the most important factor in making your decision is that you are happy that it is the right option for you!
Good luck x

the lifelong ones are probably the vit B12, you have to have them every 3 months to help with the tendency towards anaemia.

Hi Emma

I've opted for a bypass but before i made that decission i researched both procedures, i looked at the facts both post op and more longer term and listened to the advice of my consultant. Both procedures will give you the means to lose a lot of weight if you work with it, many people (especially those that are not overweight) think a band or bypass is cheating, or the easy way out, in fact the operation is just the start. Which ever route you go down you'll need to change to a healthier more nutrious diet and couple that with excercise to gain the most from the operation. Also worth remembering that both the band and in time the bypass can be cheated against.
My advice (for what its worth) would be to use the internet to research all the options completely, looking at longer term sustainability of weight lose and the side affects and living issues of having any gastric op, discuss all options with your consultant and take some time to think about what he's said/suggested, and make a desicion thats right for you, your family and will work for you.

Richard

Back