• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What made each of you decided..

Lori1964

which operation to have?

I am currently considering having the gastric band surgery, as it seems less invasive but there seem to be a higher number of you on here that have the Gastric Bypass and I was wondering what factors made each of you decide and also if you think you made the right choices.

Many thanks
Lorna

I decided on the band because the bypass seemed too final and drastic to me. I dont have any regrets at all and am losing well. Be honest with your surgeon/wls team and they will advise you, however its your choice. best of luck deciding.

I took the advice of the surgeon. I believed he knew what was best for me.

I have no regrets at all so far. No doubt there will be times when I question what I did, but, right now, I'm happy.

I was thinking of a band but the more I looked into it, the more it looked like a bypass would be more appropriate. When I chatted with the surgeon, he gave me the rough guideline that over 100lbs to lose then the bypass is better but under that the band.

I am so pleased with the choice I made, I needed a diet changing solution and, although I am not a sensitive dumper, the thought of it has stopped me from straying from my healthy diet!

It is a huge decision, your surgical team will ask you so many questions - just be honest with them and they will be able to advise the best solution for you. The choice is your's though ultimately - lots of luck!

Lx

I researched my eating habits and how I got fat to begin with. With this information, the surgeon recommended the bypass for me.

My surgeon and I decided bypass would be best for me coz for me it wasnt about potion size as I have been on ww and sw since last jan so I had learnt how to control this but try as I might I struggle with chocolate and sweet stuff so he said well with bypass you will dump big time if you eat this so yeh I thought thats the one for me also coz ive so much to lose to about 8st he said this would be best hope this helps hun lin.x

I had a band although my surgeon had said maybe i should have bypass, then 3 years later I've now got a bypass. I chose the band cos i felt as you that it was less invasive and an easier op and to be honest at the time I was frightened about a bypass. With hindsight I wish I had had the bypass in the first place.

It's only my opinion and you should speak to your surgeon about which will be best for you, but don't make the mistake I made.

The band is a fab tool, but I do think that if you have a huge amount of weight to lose then the bypass is better. You also have to take into consideration your eating habits and you have to be brutally honest with yourself about that. I hope this has helped a little xx

I originally wanted the band, just because I knew more about it. Then I began to research the bypass and decided it would be a much better option for me as I wanted something that will change my eating habits forever. Also as I am paying for the op I wanted something guaranteed to work!

My surgeon confirmed this was the best option for me when I discussed it with him.

Good luck with your decision.

Cuppacocoa xx :party0019:

HI
I chose the Band only because the thought of the bypass scared (and still scares) me
I dont eat much chocolate (maybe a bar a month normally totm) I dont eat sweets at all, I like crisps and sanwiches and big tea's.
My Dr said no to the band and said bypass only, i went away with nothing and emailed the surgeon with my thoughts feeling and the reasons for me wanting a band and he agreed to let me have the band.
I have not had it yet and hope to god i made the right decision. Time will tell.
x

I actually went to my consultant with a band in mind, thinking it was the right choice for me, but after seeing the average statistics for weight loss with a band against the bypass i switched, i needed to lose 12 stone and statistically with a band i would have struggled to lose more than 45-60% of my excess body weight, this would have left me around 5-6 stone above my goal weight and still in the dangerous obese range - this wasn't enough, this is my last chance and it has to work, i couldn't afford a revision if i got a year down the line and found it wasn't working and to be honest after seeing the actual device they put in you with the port it put me of a bit, the thought of having a plastic thing inside me and having to constantly have nasty injections all the time put me of.

There is a difference between the two operations obviously, the bypass is a bit more of a serious operation, but they do them because the success rate is a lot higher and if you have more than 100lbs to lose its probably better to look towards a bypass rather than a band...... Thats just my opinion though ;)

I had a band fitted 2 days ago and am feeling quite sore and ill at the moment, hopefully this will pass soon!! Be careful who you decide to go with as aftercare varies widely. Good luck.

Vicky

I went with the idea that I would have a band but after speaking to the surgeon it was said that a bypass would be better for me due to the amount I have to lose and being a grazer. However, at my last appointment they mentioned that I could possibly have either a band, full bypass or a sleeve. I guess at the end of the day the surgeon knows best as they want every patient to succeed with this wonderful tool that they give you.

As so many others have said.l went with what the surgeon advised. Due to poor eating habits, extremely high BMI it was thought bypass was best.
x

Hi Lori
I wanted it because I`m feed up being fat , unwell and very near the big big 50 lol at that time . I honestly didn`t want to kick the bucket and not see my grand children . I know I haven`t had the surgery yet but I have 2 lovely granddaughters and my daughter is due in March with her 3rd plus my son is getting married next Aug . Take care .
Margaret xx

Hello there,

Gr8 post btw, I am being considered for the band because of my portion sizes , I do not eat sweets,choc, crisps,tons of fizzy pop (never have) so a band is better for me .

All the best - MeJulie xx

the band was best for me as i was a huge portion eater rather than a snacker/grazer, bands work best for people that like big portions but not so well for people that also snack or like sugared foods, so banding was best for me.

Its a personal decision at the end of the day. I (like liz) ate massive portions but did not eat a great deal of chocolate and sweet stuff, so it was the amount of food going in, rather than the type of food I was eating.
Like my surgeon told me, if you eat too much of any food, healthy or fattening then you will put on weight because its science.
The band is working for me thus far and because i've not had children yet the band can be loosened for this purpose (not to say it cant be done with a bypass).
I do have a lot of weight to lose and to lose it quickly a bypass would have been preferable in my surgeons eyes, but im not complaining as im losing as quickly as is expected with a band.
*shuts up*

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. It has cleared a lot of misunderstandings for me as to the reasons to have either type of surgery. With this information in hand I am now away to do some more research, as I have not really looked into the benefits of the bypass, but as I have over 100lbs to lose, eat large portions and also graze it has given me a lot to think about.

Many thanks and I will keep you updated with my final decission (im going to be paying for this myself so I want to make sure I make the right choice)

Lorna x

I wanted a band originally, but after going for my consultaion, my eating habits meant that a bypass was the best option.

I wouldn't base your decision on what surgery would be less invasive, base it on your eating habits.

Good luck with whichever surgery you go for :)

xxx

Back