• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banders please read. Thoughts & HELP please

TMD68

Six Month Post Op
Had my band in June.

First fill was 8 weeks later.

1.5ml taken out and 3ml added.

2nd fill 4 weeks later
3ml taken out 3.5ml added

3rd fill 4 weeks later
3.4ml taken out 4.4ml added

Now I know these things are personal to each person -- but I am feeling nothing in the way of any kind pf restriction, the slowing down of food and being unable to tolerate certain foods.

I can drink freely, gulps not sips
There has been nothing (yet) I am unable to tolerate food wise
If I wasn't managing my food intake, I could pretty much eat the same quantities as before.

Band is in place (had the x-ray and barium meal YUCK) and it did show the barium passing VERY freely!

Am going to make another appointment tomorrow as it is a 4 week wait for fills -- but what SHOULD the band be doing (iof anything) at 4.4ml in a 10ml band?

Can banders please (when you have gotten this far thank you for sticking with it) please just take a moment to tell me what size band you have and what you are at fill wise which is good for YOU (know we are all different but after affirmation I guess this thing is working :cry:)

Hi, my 1st fill was 5ml in my 9ml band. 4 weeks later I had that taken out and had 7.5ml put in. this was too tight and after 8 weeks of suffering not being able to eat without vomiting I had .75ml taken out so I now have 6.75ml. I can eat but I still have restriction and my portion sizes are pretty small. Hope this helpsxx

I have a 9ml band.
First fill was 6.4mls but when drawn out I only had 4mls in (and like you had no restriction)
Second fill: 6.7mls and I had good restriction at the start but its started to go a little bit recently so will book in for another.

Like you say each person is different and takes a different number of fills to get good restriction, dont worry im sure it will be sorted (or on its way to being) after your next fill. x

51 views only 2 replies :(

Thanks for the two who did reply - hoping this BUMP will generate some more :)

My band was fitted end of June and I am going for a fill tomorrow. I have only felt restriction for a couple of days after fills but some foods are uncomfortable to eat such as chicken (if not chewed properly) beef (same applies). My weight loss has stopped and my portion size is increasing. I do understand the frustration but will let you know what bariatric nurse says tomorrow. Sorry not much help really.

Hi

I have 5.5 mils in a 9 mil band, I think I need just a little bit more though so Im going to book another fill for asap. I havent tried nor do i want to bread, rice or pasta post op but have had no difficulty with anything else I have tried.

Good luck, hope you get some restriction soon x

I have around 8 in a 9 mil band and I'm ok with my restriction finally, It took ages and ages for me to get decent restriction and I know how horribly discouraging it is when you feel no benefit and you feel that everyone else seems to have the band working with small restriction and you don't. From my experience I would say go get it dealt with. Get some more, it doesn't matter how many mils compared to anyone else. Let your team know you need more because you are having difficulties, they want you to succeed after all. Don't try and muddle through because you feel what you have already "should" be enough. We're all different sweetie x

good advice from Neen...I've got 4.5ml in 10ml band and up until 2 weeks ago felt I had good restriction, but my weight hasn't shifted for weeks (although visibly I definately look thinner :confused:) so I'm having another fill on 22nd Oct in the hopes the lbs will start moving again.

each day is different and what I can eat today, I may not be able to tomorrow...try not to worry :hug99:

Thank you girls. Am discouraged moreseo as I had a 2kg GAIN in 4 weeks. However this was more than less down to a 3 weeks steroid course :/

Have booked in for another fill in 4 weeks and will see how we go.

Hoping not to be the one who 'fails' at this.

I can eat bread, pasta, rice, meats and even 'tested' myself by not chewing stuff to a pulp and nothing gets 'stuck'

Just pleased I have the scars and an x-ray pic to prove I have actually BEEN banded or i'd be having doubts it was in there :) x

Back