• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banders Help Please!

coralie

I am 2 weeks away from having my 1st fill, and then booked in for my 2nd fill 2 weeks later.

My problem is that after the initial swelling from having the band fitted had gone down...The weightloss has now come to a screetching holt!

Pre-op diet:17st 2lbs
Weight now:15st 13lbs/16st

For the past 3 weeks i have yo-yoed the same 1lb up and down...

I'm now on 'normal' foods- Any other banders out there that could let me know what sort of things they were eating at this stage?

A typical day for me would be:
Breakfast- Scrambled 2 Eggs
Lunch- Homemade soup made with chicken and veg..usually a sprinkle of cheese.
Dinner- Beef mince (bolgnese style)
I have 2 cups of coffee per day with milk and sweetner. Lots of Sugarfree squash and water.
Snacks- slice of cheese or an icepop.

I'm very active in my job looking after children and walk most evenings.

I'm hungry and being good with portion sizes.... Its hard to believe that the band is ever going to work...I have faith it will!

Anyone with filled bands that can give me some advice??

Thankyou! :)

I am 2 weeks away from having my 1st fill, and then booked in for my 2nd fill 2 weeks later.

My problem is that after the initial swelling from having the band fitted had gone down...The weightloss has now come to a screetching holt!

hi coralie, this is a very normal thing to happen at this stage a the swelling only gives restriction very short term.

Pre-op diet:17st 2lbs
Weight now:15st 13lbs/16st

well done so far thats great.

For the past 3 weeks i have yo-yoed the same 1lb up and down...

this is perfectly normal because you have no restriction yet.

I'm now on 'normal' foods- Any other banders out there that could let me know what sort of things they were eating at this stage?

A typical day for me would be:
Breakfast- Scrambled 2 Eggs
Lunch- Homemade soup made with chicken and veg..usually a sprinkle of cheese.
Dinner- Beef mince (bolgnese style)
I have 2 cups of coffee per day with milk and sweetner. Lots of Sugarfree squash and water.
Snacks- slice of cheese or an icepop.

your menu is ok but i feel alot of it is slider foods which will leave you feeling hungry more quickly, try something a little denser like a baked spud with beans or tuna/mayo light.

I'm very active in my job looking after children and walk most evenings.

I'm hungry and being good with portion sizes.... Its hard to believe that the band is ever going to work...I have faith it will!

as above try denser foods they will fill you quicker and for longer, it will work for you, its all a learning curve but you will get used to it x
Anyone with filled bands that can give me some advice??

Thankyou! :)

i hope my answers helped a little :)

liz x

Thankyou ladies!

I have always been a lowcarb queen, carbs tend to make me feel very uncomfortable.

I thought we were meant to eat protein, veg...and then carbs, if still hungry?

I'll buy some spuds on my evening walk...lugging them home should burn some calories!! :)

yeah protien 1st then carbs, but jacket spuds has never done me any harm, choosing a filling with protien helps xxx

Hi Coralie, I have sheets im going to copy for you that the dietician gave me yesterday and post them on here so you can see what you should be eating

jacket pots are great as is porrige it feels me up for hours , but what your going thru is totally normal i had it drummed into me pre op by my dr that some people can even regain weight in first months after banding as you dont have good restriction. my only other tip would be be wary of potatoe skins i had one of my worst stuck moments because i ate on lol

Hi Coralie

I can sympathise with you as I have had exactly the same things happen to me. I was stuck at the same weight even after my fill and felt like a failure. I messaged Liz and Mazza as they are succesful banders and the advice they gave got the weight moveing again...bless them xxxx

I to was eating to many slider foods and went from having smoothie for breakfast to eating chopped up fruit and at lunch instead of soups I had chopped salad with tuna or feta cheese and olives. I have been having jacket spud for tea or lasagne and salad and I lost 2lb in about 5 days...so it does work hun.

Goodluck...the only thing I was wandering is why are you having your next fill and the one after 2 weeks apart?
When I went I was told 5 weeks min time before fill but I dont think I would need a fill until about September now as If I carry on eating foods that don't slide I am getting good restriction.

best of luck

Hi Coralie

I can sympathise with you as I have had exactly the same things happen to me. I was stuck at the same weight even after my fill and felt like a failure. I messaged Liz and Mazza as they are succesful banders and the advice they gave got the weight moveing again...bless them xxxx

I to was eating to many slider foods and went from having smoothie for breakfast to eating chopped up fruit and at lunch instead of soups I had chopped salad with tuna or feta cheese and olives. I have been having jacket spud for tea or lasagne and salad and I lost 2lb in about 5 days...so it does work hun.

Goodluck...the only thing I was wandering is why are you having your next fill and the one after 2 weeks apart?
When I went I was told 5 weeks min time before fill but I dont think I would need a fill until about September now as If I carry on eating foods that don't slide I am getting good restriction.

best of luck

excellent advice there ! to much slider foods is to many calories as the more wet the food the bigger portion a bander can eat, proper solids is the key for banders as they get full off less food and it also keeps you full for longer x

I know how you feel. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago and don't feel I have much restriction. I'm going to arrange another fill as soon as I can.

More experienced people here tell me its normal for it to take a while to get the correct restriction.

it takes time for banders to get good restriction and that is fine tuned to perfection with fills, it takes time to get but its worth it in the end x

Thanks Gaynor. I cant wait for my 2nd fill. At the moment using all my will power not to over eat.

I know it will all work out at some stage though.Just have to have patient.

Thanks Gaynor. I cant wait for my 2nd fill. At the moment using all my will power not to over eat.

I know it will all work out at some stage though.Just have to have patient.

I'm going for mine on wednesday and it can't come quick enough. I feel like I've lost weight but I think its more the inches that are moving at the minute so thats ok. We will all get there one day but we just have to be a little patient. If we were on a normal conventional diet we'd be worrying but being as we have our little friend (the band) to help us we know we've got to work together even if its at the bands pace.

Hi Coralie, I put the sheets in the daily menu thread

http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes-forum/106265-4-week-normal-diet-post-band-op.html#post1823145

I hope it works, when it pops up click on it and it should magnify it

Let me know if you are able to see it properly

Thanks Kate i have just saved a copy of them as i am due to have my operation 29th September and gathering as much info and recipes as i can, i just hope my hard drive holds out lol X

Thank you so much you lovely fellow banders!

Kate- you are a star, thanks for posting the diet sheets, i'm yet to check them out- my next port of call... but i'm sure many banders out there will find in useful reading.

Serenitylove- Porridge is my absoloute favourite- the problem i have with carbs is that the sugar content has a habit of sending me on a frenzied binge. If i stay low carb i feel controlled, off low carb i feel totally out of control around food. When i DO have restriction i will be eating carbs again- at the moment i'm scared, with no restriction that i will go off the rails and pile on the pounds...I'll be sure to keep away from spud skin!!

Babyjayne- Liz- Its strange, i didn't realise i was eating slider foods, until i analysed my daily menu when i typed it up!
The reason i am having 2 fills 2 weeks apart is because WLS Group only do tiny fills, 1ml, 2ml...very occasionally 3mls at a time- their fills are NOT done with Barium, under x-ray. They do Little and often. I have been told that i wont have restriction with my first fill, but probably 2nd or 3rd fill. I work manic hours during school term times, so really want to get decent restriction before i go back to school in Sept.

Claire- You excited about getting your band?? Which company/hospital are you doing it with? Good Luck!

Hopefully my scales will move in the right direction really sooooon! :)

Back