• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BBC reports changes to availability of WLS in Harrogate and Rural District

FeeBee

The way that's written makes it sound like patients don't have to undertake a programme of at least 6 months before they can have WLS which is a bit annoying. Not as annoying as being under that hospital and potentially having your op postponed!

SAM55

The way that's written makes it sound like patients don't have to undertake a programme of at least 6 months before they can have WLS which is a bit annoying. Not as annoying as being under that hospital and potentially having your op postponed!
Yes, i thought that too, it sounds like you can just walk in, ask for it and they will give it to you as soon as there is a bed! Typical BBC reporting in my experience.

I am in the CCG next door and I was referred to Harrogate for knee surgery last year in August as they have a higher BMI threshold for the op (but only if you have a Harrogate CCG postcode I found out) so got nowhere. I had already started the WLS referral process but was only at the very early stages. They said come back in six months when they had expected I would have had the surgery and lost 10 stone!

I did do more than 6 months before I was accepted onto the waiting list.

They all have different criteria for different things, but it is better than it was when it was PCT for the whole of North Yorkshire (which is the largest local authority in the country), because for 6 years there was no WLS as they had no money as they were paying off debts.