• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BBC: Woman wins legal bid to have WLS on the NHS

RoseA

Last edited:
I can't get the link to work :confused:

Well done her, it's a shame she was forced down that route in the first place. I really don't understand why certain PCT's go against NICE guidelines for WLS & set their own 'criteria', which force people into ever-more debilitating obesity just to fulfil that crieria...utter madness.

It's corrected now... sorry, I had to type the address in manually.

That is interesting Rose, thanks for posting, I would have missed this for sure... love and hugs xxx

my o/h has this problem altho she hasn't had surgery, she's lost 11 stone on the back of me having my surgery, she's done brilliantly, has had the help of initially reductil, which is now banned, and has been using orlistat/xenical for the last 12 months, but NICE say 12 months is all you can have, so she no longer gets the xenical, and has been cut adrift, a stone or so from her goal, with well done now do it on your own, where's the long term support, the lady in the article has already proved she's battled her weight by having the band fitted, lost the weight, which was great, but the unforseen medical probs meant she had to have it removed and thus the old habits returned inevitably....but some divvy accountant manager at the local NHS has just looked literally at the numbers, ie BMI and cost, and said no, no froward and backward looking...good on her!!

Well done to her for getting a second chance... However in this case i don't think her pct were going against Nice guidelines as her bmi was 37 and there is no talk of comorbidities she may have had.

I think the exceptional part of her bid was the fact she'd had the band and done so well and then it failed her and she started to regain. If you put yourself into the future i'm sure she would have got closer to the criteria for bmi...

Here's hoping she doesn't wait too long for her surgery xx

Back