• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Best painkilers

Paula1975

I've broken my wrist, is neurogenic ok to take after bypass?? If not what is best

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using WLSurgery

I'd have thought you'd need pain and nerve killing pain relief. I take Morphine tablets, Paracetamol, and liquid Morphine for one type of pain, and Pre Gabolin for nerve pain. I reckon you should get a quick review with your GP to discuss your plan

Co codamol is better, as the codeine element will work on your central nervous system to relieve the pain better than just paracetamol alone. If you mean neurofen, you can't take that post bypass as its an NSAID.

Co codamol is better, as the codeine element will work on your central nervous system to relieve the pain better than just paracetamol alone. If you mean neurofen, you can't take that post bypass as its an NSAID.

Co codamol isn't great post op either as it causes constipation so you'd need secondary medication to help with that. Pre Gabolin is a great nerve pain reliever trust me with the number of meds I'm on I know. That doesn't mean it's right for the OP, hence my advice that she has a review with her GP

Co codamol isn't great post op either as it causes constipation so you'd need secondary medication to help with that. Pre Gabolin is a great nerve pain reliever trust me with the number of meds I'm on I know. That doesn't mean it's right for the OP, hence my advice that she has a review with her GP

They won't prescribe pre gabalin or tramadol for a fracture. The best you'll get from a gp is 30/500 co codamol if your lucky.

I have been on most pain killers and nerve medications. I am also on several NSAID's as the consultant feels that the positive if me takin it outweighs the bad that it could possibly cause.
I would ask for tramadol and either gabapentin or pregabolin but as Karlos says Gp will be the one who makes the decisions and prescribes.
I am on liquid morphine and fentanyl patches, I would avoid at all cost if they are offered because even in the short term they are highly addictive.
Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon

I think fentanyl and morphine are a bit ott for a fracture, considering they're controlled drugs. They are only usually used for chronic long standing cns pain. GP is the best person to make the decision. Whatever he prescribes, I hope it relieves your pain for you :)

I think fentanyl and morphine are a bit ott for a fracture, considering they're controlled drugs. They are only usually used for chronic long standing cns pain. GP is the best person to make the decision. Whatever he prescribes, I hope it relieves your pain for you :)

You're right Paula and I doubt any GP would prescribe any CDs unless totally appropriate. I'd be a tad surprised if they gave any Co Codamol either as mine wouldn't as I was post bypass and codeine constipates badly. As I thought was clear in my post I mentioned the different types of drugs I'm on as a demonstration of the different types needed to deal with pain and nerve pain. Hence I said at the start the OP needs a review with their GP

I have had paracetamol & ibuprofen both pre & post op although I did have additional mess to protect my stomach pre op. post op that med was changed to omeprazole so my pouch is protected. As the others say check with your gp he or she knows what's best & discuss something like omeprazole to ensure your pouch & you are protected from as many contra effects as possible.

I'm on Tramadol, Co-Codomol and PreGabalin

Sorry I'm on my phone and submitted too soon!

I'm on Tramadol, Co-codomol and PreGabalin for a very bad break I had 18 months ago which required surgery. I'm fine with all 3. As someone who has broken every bloody bone possible ibuprofen and Tramadol are a good combo. Hope it eases for you xxx

I obviously didnt make myself clear. I am in morphine and fentanyl now for my chronic medical conditions. I was simply stating that I had tried most things and so able to give an idea of what might be suitable.

I suppose in theory I am being given them for a fracture, just a fracture of the spine that healed wrong!

Thanks guys, my gp doesn't seem aux fais with things Bariatric, I've emailed my surgeon for advise, then will get back to gp, thanks again

Sent from my iPod touch using WLSurgery

Back