• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Birmingham....Received MDT approval and seminar date ... what next?

I have got my letter (attached is a copy) saying following my MDT meeting, it has been confirmed that i meet National Clinical Commissioning Policy and I am eligible for weight loss surgery with Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham :)

Once I have attended the Seminar, chosen my surgery and met the surgeon I will be added to the waiting list.

There has been no further mention of applying for funding... has that happened or is it still to happen after meeting the surgeon? Do you know how long from meeting the surgeon to having the surgery?

I've read a lot of contradicting things on this forum so far so I'm a little confused.

Thanks in advance, I'm very excited and want to be prepared.IMG_20170107_182231 (1).jpg

lin davey

Hi, I had my sleeve done at heartlands. You have a group meeting with the dietician who talks through all procedures then comes and tells you individually what the surgeon recommends, I was offered the choice of all three. You can change your mind when you see the consultant. Think that appointment was about a month later. He then puts you in the waiting list. I had to wait six months for my op from the consultant meeting. I must say it's definitely worth the wait. I think I read every sleeve diary on here and it certainly helped me through my journey. Hope this helps x

Hi, I had my sleeve done at heartlands. You have a group meeting with the dietician who talks through all procedures then comes and tells you individually what the surgeon recommends, I was offered the choice of all three. You can change your mind when you see the consultant. Think that appointment was about a month later. He then puts you in the waiting list. I had to wait six months for my op from the consultant meeting. I must say it's definitely worth the wait. I think I read every sleeve diary on here and it certainly helped me through my journey. Hope this helps x

Was it after you selected your surgery that they applied for the funding?

Penelope

Thankyou, that's really helpful.

How have you found things since your op? Everything u expected? How has your weight loss been?
On the whole everything has gone smoothly although there have been a few hiccups here and there. I have other health problems that complicate things occasionally though. This time last year I was 20 stones. My op was on the 5th September. Now I am 15 stones 2 pounds. A lot was lost in the pre-op diet but I have been steadily losing since the op. The best place to see an overall picture would be to read my Diary (Pennies Sleeve Diary) which I try to fill in every week. In fact I would recommend anyone read the diaries on here if you want to see what is involved in the surgery and how things go afterwards.

lin davey

If you get to seminar point then funding has already been approved just the final hurdles to jump xx

On the whole everything has gone smoothly although there have been a few hiccups here and there. I have other health problems that complicate things occasionally though. This time last year I was 20 stones. My op was on the 5th September. Now I am 15 stones 2 pounds. A lot was lost in the pre-op diet but I have been steadily losing since the op. The best place to see an overall picture would be to read my Diary (Pennies Sleeve Diary) which I try to fill in every week. In fact I would recommend anyone read the diaries on here if you want to see what is involved in the surgery and how things go afterwards.

thats fab, ill take a look. sounds lik your doing well. I just hpe im not one of the 1 in 5 that surgery doesnt help.

I never even think that. It is my responsibility to work hard and make it work. It is never easy.

im expecting (and willing) to work darn hard to succeed and use to tools (bypass) provided to lose weight. i know its by no means a short cut or quick fix. Im just so excited to be finally getting some help.

lin davey

It's been fantastic. A couple of hiccups to start due to overdoing things but to be honest I have had a breeze. I have followed the rules to the letter and have gone from 16st 8lb to a steady 10st. I had set my target weight at 11st took me four months to reach that goal but decided to see where I ended up. I have been 19st for the last five months and lost 98% of excess weight. Just listen to your own body as we are all different. Remember it's a tool and you have to work with it xx

lin davey

It's been fantastic. A couple of hiccups to start due to overdoing things but to be honest I have had a breeze. I have followed the rules to the letter and have gone from 16st 8lb to a steady 10st. I had set my target weight at 11st took me four months to reach that goal but decided to see where I ended up. I have been 10st for the last five months and lost 98% of excess weight. Just listen to your own body as we are all different. Remember it's a tool and you have to work with it xx