• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bit of a dilema

Mynewlife

Hiya folks

as the title says, I have a bit of a dilema.
I have been trying for 6 months to get my band fill appointment sorted out (Had op privatley, but my PCT agreed to fund the band fills at University Hospital Coventry & Warwick - my pct is Northamptonshire). After making an official complaint to Univeristy Hospital about the delay, I got an appointment through on Thursday for a band adjustment at University Hospital for We, dnesday (8th). As you can imagine, because I have had to go through so much to get the band fill done, I am going to attend the appointment. To be honest, I dont really need much of an adjustment, maybe .25 or so, if that. The main reason I want to go, is that this is the very first time that I will have a band adjustment done under x-ray conditions. I have had some pains in my port area since my dog accidently came barrelling up to me in the garden with paws out full pelt and hit me straight in the stomach, about two-three weeks ago. I am sick at least once a day, if not more. I want to be reassured that everything is in place and still working as it should be.
My dilema is this, do I tell them I dont need much adjustment but want the band and port checking out to make sure it is ok?? do I say nothing, see what happens when I do the barium swallow, and what they think I need? I think my band must be fairly tight because of how often I am sick, although just recently, my weight has been up and down like a yo yo, and I might need the slight adjustment. Should they be able to tell from the barium swallow, how long it is taking to go through my system? I dont want them overtightening my band, and the sickness gets worst. What do you think? should I be honest and up front, or just go through the procedure and see??

Thanks, my appointment is Wednesday, so I would appreciate the comments before then.

Regards

MNL:confused:

hi MNL, what types of food are you being sick with ? if this is a daily occurance id say that your probably tight enough, theres 2 reasons banders are sick on a regular basis they are firstly not chewing the food long enough and a blockage occurs, and secondly eating to quickly as putting it in faster than it can pass through the band can cause a back up of food that has no where to go and continuing to eat causes vomiting because of this.
i would still recommend going as they can check everythings ok on xray, they will most likley draw back the fluid in the needle to check whats left in the band if they are happy thats ok for now they will put back the same amount and see how the barium goes down, they may only put in a very small amount extra. let me know how you get on.

liz x

Hi MNL

I think you should tell them everything as it is better to be safe than sorry.
If they know that you are having pain and why, they can then look for specifics
instead of overlooking it.

Good luck with it all.

(((hugs)))

hi MNL, what types of food are you being sick with ? if this is a daily occurance id say that your probably tight enough, theres 2 reasons banders are sick on a regular basis they are firstly not chewing the food long enough and a blockage occurs, and secondly eating to quickly as putting it in faster than it can pass through the band can cause a back up of food that has no where to go and continuing to eat causes vomiting because of this.
i would still recommend going as they can check everythings ok on xray, they will most likley draw back the fluid in the needle to check whats left in the band if they are happy thats ok for now they will put back the same amount and see how the barium goes down, they may only put in a very small amount extra. let me know how you get on.

liz x

Hiya Liz,
I am getting sick on a lot of stuff. Soup (minestrone), fruit (raspberries, grapes, strawberries), minced beef, baked beans, onions, pepper, lettuce, tuna fish. I try to chew,but still am probably not chewing enough AND I am still eating too fast. I cant seem to get it right, and even though I get sick time and time again, I still continue to eat faster than I should. I know it is a mental thing, and am trying hard to overcome it. I appreciate your comments.
I am dreading the thought that there is something wrong with my port site because of how hard the dog hit me in that area. Ever since then If I lay on my port side, I get a dragging pain, like the muscle has a lead weight attached to it. It pulls. I hope that this is all in my mind, and the xray will not show any faults. Keep your fingers crossed and I will let you know how I get on, on Wednesday (cant come soon enough :cry:). I also think from a previous thread you were on, that I am stressing out about the port site, and this could be affecting the band, making it tighter on ocassions and leading to me being sick so much.

MNL:(

MNL

Hi there,

I have found various information regarding vomiting. This is a serious issue and should not be happening as often as it is for you.

THG website states:

Q: Will I be sick a lot after the operation?

The Gastric Band limits food intake. If you feel nauseated or sick on a regular basis, it may mean that you are not chewing your food well enough or that you are not following the diet rules properly. However, it could also mean that there is a problem with the placement of the band, so contact our emergency service if this problem persists. Vomiting should be avoided as much as possible as it can cause the small stomach pouch to stretch. It can also lead to slippage of part of the stomach through the band and reduce the success of the operation. In some cases, it can require another operation.

From my own surgeons info:

If you are having problems with vomiting, try reducing your portion size at meal times, ensure you are chewing your food well, and eat slowly. There are some foods that you will find best to avoid. These are different for everyone; for example, bread
and some types of meat. If you are still having a problem with vomiting, your
band may be too tight. Remember to keep taking small sips of water so you don’t get dehydrated.
Please ring the X-ray Department and ask to speak to one of the X-ray Nurses for advice.

As you can see you need to mention this and get it sorted ASAP, hope you feel better after this adjustment.

Hiya Liz,
I am getting sick on a lot of stuff. Soup (minestrone), fruit (raspberries, grapes, strawberries), minced beef, baked beans, onions, pepper, lettuce, tuna fish. I try to chew,but still am probably not chewing enough AND I am still eating too fast. I cant seem to get it right, and even though I get sick time and time again, I still continue to eat faster than I should. I know it is a mental thing, and am trying hard to overcome it. I appreciate your comments.
I am dreading the thought that there is something wrong with my port site because of how hard the dog hit me in that area. Ever since then If I lay on my port side, I get a dragging pain, like the muscle has a lead weight attached to it. It pulls. I hope that this is all in my mind, and the xray will not show any faults. Keep your fingers crossed and I will let you know how I get on, on Wednesday (cant come soon enough :cry:). I also think from a previous thread you were on, that I am stressing out about the port site, and this could be affecting the band, making it tighter on ocassions and leading to me being sick so much.

MNL:(

MNL

hi MNL i have often hurt my port site and it usually plays me up for quite a while as the muscle its been stitched to gets pulled and this is the area that you will feel pain from.

the port site wont effect you being tight on some days and not others, your feelings and emotions hower can effect what you can and cannot eat.

these foods you say your being sick with sounds like as you say that your eating to quickly or not chewing thouragh enough, this is where learning to work with a band comes in, from what your explaining to me you really need to slow down, try this method to help you slow down, put your knife and fork down on the table between each mouthfull and DO NOT pick that knife and fork back up until the previous mouth full has been well chewed and swallowed, alot of people has the speed eating problem and this simple method does work and helps alot of ppl to start being able to eat there meal with out the results of vomiting.

i hope this improves soon for you x

liz xxx

Hiya Liz
just wanted to update you, as Iwent for my band fill (under xray) today, and all if well with the band and port. I asked several times if everything look ok, and the radiologist stated that everything looked as it should.
The only thing, is, that previously to this NHS fill, I have had my band adjusted by Wendy Stubbs at the WLS. When she did my adjustment in April, she said that she had taken me up to 6.6mls.
Today the radiologist emptied my band completely, and said that there was only 5.6mls in there??. I know that through natural events, you can lose a little bit out of the band, but this seemed a fair bit. The previous band fill to this was done in November, so there was a 5 month gap at that point, and the difference was 0.01mils. Today the radiologist took some fresh solution, and took me up to 6.6mls, then I had to swallow, and the barium liquid would not go down, so he took a bit out, down to 6.2mils and he barium liquid went down ok, so he has left it at the 6.2, which he says is tight, but according to WLS measurements, was less than what they said I had in there, and now I am confused???? Any thoughts on this?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:
MNL

Back