• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Black Poo - sorry.....

Andrea73

Sorry for this I know its too much information.

Anyway I am on 200mg iron , twice daily and have been for 2 weeks. However I am really bunged up and am struggling to go to the loo. I managed tody and the whole toilet was black!!! Does this mean I have too much iron in me??

Any advice would be really appreciated.

No Andrea. Iron often makes you constipated and almost always makes the stools black. Totally normal, just not very nice!

Charis is right, totally normal...but a real pain in the a**e literally! You can get your GP to give you something or (and this is a better way imho) drinks lots of water and as much fruit and veg as you can without compromising your protein...the water really helps :)

very normal sweetpea! its just side effects form the iron tablets nowt to worry about :) x

oh crikey wasn't expecting that. It is agony to go to toilet - oh well just need to keep taking the dulcoease!!!

totally normal, but for me its was causing problems, i hated the feeling and especially at work, so i spoke to my doctor and he changed my tablet and has been fine ever since, but like the otherposter above i cut back to one a day.

Claudia I find it really uncomfortable too, to the point that all my clothes are cutting into to me. My stomach is really swollen.

I can't cut back on my iron as i already had problems with anaemia occasionally pre op, so its even worse now. I get terrible constipation and found that using stuff like senna caused me bad stomach cramps. My doc prescribed Movicol and thats been a godsend, i used it intensively when i was prescribed it as i was very very constipated at the time but have found that since then i only need it every now and again, and one sachet does the trick.
I never get used to the blackness though !! its not pleasant lol !!!

Do you know if you can take anything like Fybogel sachets or does that get stuck in the system? I had to take these after a previous op when I got constipated. Not having had my bypass yet - I am trying to get an idea of possible problems ahead . . and this is one that does slightly concern me!

Well I phoned my GP today who told me to stop all iron meds for 2 weeks. I explained that I was really bloated, felt sick and horrible pains when trying to go to toilet. I was also getting pains after eating. Anyway I have to go back in 2 weeks to make sure all my symptoms are away before he gives me another kind of iron meds.

Back