• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood pressure and surgery

chivasgirl

Hi there, like many overweight people I have high blood pressure, although at the moment my medication seems to be lowering it slightly. I am pretty sure that my BP won't be so high as to cause a problem for surgery, but I just wondered if anyone has been turned down because their BP was too high and they had to wait until they lowered it with medication or whatever.

My BP tends to be anywhere between about 120/80 to 150/100, although usually it's around the 130/85 mark.

I have my first pre-op in 2 weeks and just trying to see whether I really ought to go back to docs to get some other medication.

Thanks!!
Lorna

my bp is medication controlled they were aware of this and still did my ops. as long as there aware of it and your medication is taken there shouldnt be a problem.

when i went last week for my first pre-op my bp was 160/106!! they told me to get it checked by my gp 3 times that week and if it didnt behave they wanted me to start on medication but tankfully it was ok but they would have been willing for me to start on something 10 days before my op?
good luck with your appointment and im sure it will be ok. x

My BP is also medication controlled and it was not an issue at all. as long as the medication is taken then everything goes ahead as normal

Thanks all of you. I do get a bit of white coat syndrome too, and last time I went to Walsall my BP was well high, into the 160/100 range, and as they pointed out it doesn't really matter if the BP is high only at appts like that, I will be having surgery and they will be the white coats!!! So I have to deal with it realistically. Will see practice nurse and if still a bit high then ask to speak to GP and see what he suggests. Thanks all!!

I also have high bp, somewhat controlled by meds like you and my surgeon had no problems in fact it probably helped me get my funding. I haven't had my bp done in a bit but it has been lower since the op.

Nic:p

Hi there, try and keep it down before your pre op. When I went for my pre op my bp was 227/117 and was told no way would the surgeon operate untill it was down. I was also on 3 different meds for this but needed another. I was told once I'd got my new meds to have my bp done once a week for 3 weeks and then let them know the readings.I did this and then got forgotten so this delayed getting my date. As I said try and keep it down for your pre op and you'll be ok.
Good luck xx Gaynor xx

Hiya
I have white coat syndrome also. When I went for my pre-op for a hysterectomy my blood pressure was high, so they put me temporarily on Atenolol (not sure of spelling - as I am crap at it). This helped with my blood pressure and as soon as I had had the surgery my blood pressure normalised and I was back off of this medication before I was discharged from hospital. When it came to my band surgery 8 years later, my blood pressure had been problems for a few months before and I had seen my gp, who put me back onto Atenolol so that it was under control prior to the op. The best advice I can say is to not wait until pre-op to sort it or this may cause delays, which is frustrating. Try to get it under control before you get there.

Good Luck ;)
MNL

Like alot of us i too have my bp controlled by medication i'm on 4 tablets daily and when i had my pre-op assessment there was no problem. I think we all get raised bp's when we go somewhere that makes us nervous, but just think how great we will all look in the future!!!!

Back