• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

High Blood Pressure

Spikeyjaycee

Hi folks. Sorry if this has been asked before (and possibly by me - apologies, dementia is setting in!!) but can high blood pressure be an obstacle when it comes to Bypass. I saw the doctor today and my BP is high. I've got to got back twice more to have it checked before I see the dietician and anathetist on 31 July. Doctor says if it carries on being high they may say no to surgery. He's hoping he can get me on medication to get the BP lowered. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks! Julie x

high bp isnt usually a problem as long as they are aware of it, i had high bp when i had my ops and they say after weight loss bp gets better.

My BP was high at my pre op assessment (234/117) so was told to get extra medication from my GP to lower it. Had to have it checked every week and had to have a lower reading for 3 consecutive weeks before they would arrange a date for op. Good luck and try not to stress as this will raise your BP.

Hiya

my bp was high when I went for a pre-op, and they put me on Atenolol(?not sure spelling is correct). When I went in for the op, I had been on the medication for about a week or so, and my blood pressure had lowered enough for me to have the operation. Once I had had the operation, and had good blood pressure readings for a few days when they did my observations during ward rounds, they discontinued the medication, and I was discharged from hospital without the medication.
If it were me, I would get an appointment with your GP asap, and ask them if they can put you on some medication, like Atenolol, until you have the operation, see how the BP goes between now and the operation, and hopefully it will be controlled enough for them to do the operation. I hope this helps.
MNL:D

Hi all. My GP has arranged for me to have 2 more readings before I see the anethatist and dietician on 31 July. If they are still high, then he will give me medication. Apologies if I didn't make that clear in my original post - must be the blood pounding in my brain - LOL!!!!

Hi all. My GP has arranged for me to have 2 more readings before I see the anethatist and dietician on 31 July. If they are still high, then he will give me medication. Apologies if I didn't make that clear in my original post - must be the blood pounding in my brain - LOL!!!!

Hi there Spikeyjaycee

I had too many high readings and they gave me one of those little machine things to wear for 24 hours...(this was about a year ago).

They said that I could have been one of those many patients whose blood pressure just rises when going to the doctors as the readings over the 24 hours gave no real cause for alarm.

I never thought I was nervous about seeing the doctor so could not understand the high readings.

So, I thought this might put your mind at rest, and suggest this might be the case for you.

Hope everything works out well for you, I'm sure it will.

(((hugs)))

hi spikey i just had my op at st richards an although i dont have bp probs there were two people in who had severely high bp an they had got there ops quicker to try to help so fingers crossed take care debbie xxxxxx

Thanks Debbie. I don't really have much control over my BP - I've always suffered from it. Glad to hear it shouldn't affect my op - might even speed things up a bit me hopes!!!! Julie x

Hi SnowCrystal

I have "white coat syndrome" too. My blood pressure gets high when I go to the doctors, hopsital etc. I bought my own bp machine from boots and keep an eye on it. I keep track of my readings, and now when I go and see my gp, I give her my readings and she puts those in, rather than taking it herself in her office because we both know it will be high and the reasons behind it. My bp is normal, with some good readings quite often when I take it at home.

Regards

MNL:)

Hi SnowCrystal

I have "white coat syndrome" too. My blood pressure gets high when I go to the doctors, hopsital etc. I bought my own bp machine from boots and keep an eye on it. I keep track of my readings, and now when I go and see my gp, I give her my readings and she puts those in, rather than taking it herself in her office because we both know it will be high and the reasons behind it. My bp is normal, with some good readings quite often when I take it at home.

Regards

MNL:)

Hi MNL

That's what it's called...I just could not remember...White Coat Syndrome! Thing is I really don't get uptight about going in to see the doctors....I know I get a bit of high BP because I do hear the thumping sounds in my ears.

I have one of those machines, but I don't trust mine.

Thank you again for reminding me of the name...lol...

(((hugs)))

My GP thought it might be "white coat syndrome" with me so I had the 24hr BP machine on and the readings still came back too high lol.
I too take my own and if its high I just take it easy that day and if its ok then I try and get everything done lol

Lots of the bypass patients I saw during my stay in Walsall had high BP. To be honest most of them did. I think it must be pretty common in overweight patients and can't see it being an obstacle as long as they know and its being treated.

Back