• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood pressure too low, maybe??

simplylucy

My partner suffers with high blood pressure so has to take readings regually and record them.

To encourage him I occasionally take mine. My current readings are 98/55.

My partner says that is too low. I do often feel very light headed, especially when moving from sitting to standing or jumping out of bed.

What do you think? Is 98/55 too low? Should I be concerned?

That seems really low to me hun......especially the bottom reading. I would get it checked out with your GP as low blood pressure can be as dangerous as high blood pressure. XX

I have just had mine done and it's 117 over 75 and the nurse said it was normal and I had my op yesterday

I had a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours and my bottom number was ofen low 60's but they didn't seem worried. It is usually in the 90's in the doctors office which they were more concerned with. If you are feeling light headed though maybe you should speak to your docs.

I had a problem with this, it is really common in post oppers, I would suggest wearing some Support stockings, like the ones they give you in hospital to wear, as this will help your blood to be pumped back up the body better, as when you go from standing to sitting, the blood pressure will suddenly fall, the explanation I was given was when we were at our largest, our blood vessels were stretched to take the larger flow of blood around the body, as we get smaller it takes a while for the vessels to shrink back which then leaves sapce in our vessels for the blood to slosh about, and hence the low blood pressure, I can honestly say that I suffered terribly with this, even passing out at my worst, but with drinking plenty and wearing the stockings, and being very careful when getting up fron lying down, or sitting to standing, it has now eased off and I still have a low blood pressure around 90 something over 50 something, but the dizzy spells have almost gone away.....

Hope this helps

I've had the same problem- my BP was dropping almost 40 points from lying down to standing up. I passed out a couple of times. I ended up in A&E just before Xmas when I bashed myself up pretty bad - I passed out and fell out of the shower cubicle, hitting my head on the toilet on the way down. So please get yourself checked out and take care !

Lucy Angel, get it checked properly... it's a very important part of our body to have this function working properly... please let us know.

I have a home BP monitor and have kept a diary from coming out of hospital.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Low blood pressure in anything below 90/50, so you are at the bottom end of normal. Mine is similar, when it used to be textbook 120/80 at my largest. If you are having dizziness and light headedness when sitting, laying or walking then definitely see your doctor.

The sudden drop in bp when you stand or sit up is normal, it happens to everyone, but in some people the drop is more severe and this is called postural hypotension. It leads to dizziness, blackouts and fainting at it's worse. I've had this all my life but did notice it got worse post op initially. Now it's not too bad and only gets to the black stage very occasionally. You need to learn to manage it, stand up slowly, when you go from lying down to standing do it in stages and take your time. You will learn to identify the first feelings of a plummet, and sit down as soon as you feel it coming on. Deep breaths help to make it pass, holding your breath will make it worse.

There are treatments for both low bp and postural hypotension, if they are causing a real problem or causing you harm through fainting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Its not scary low but probably lower than youd expect. Im assuming you arent on BP meds? I was on 3 meds and was dizzy etc so had a 24 monitor, ive gone from 180/115 odd preop (even with meds when at the Drs although normal 120/80 at home) to 109/70 so have stopped one of my meds so far. Worth seeing the dr to make sure you are ok x

I just asked my hubby ( he is a paramedic) and he said that's a little low but nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it any over 100 over 70 is normal until you get to 150 over 100 then its getting high

Back