• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is this cos of the surgery? *UPDATE 1ST POST*

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Prob not, but i dunno?

The past week or two ive been getting really light headed everytime i get up. Sometimes it lasts a sec or two, and im ok. Otehrs it lasts about 10 secs and i have to close my eyes and hold on to something? I tested my blood pressure thats fine. My diet hasnt changed, eating and drinking plenty.

Got a docs app next week for my depression, so ill ask then, but just wondered if anyone else gets it? x

:confused:

UPDATE:
Well i went to doc on wed, and mentioned it to him. He did a sitting & standing BP and its very low at 90/70. It used to be 140/80. Had to go back yesterday (my birthday!! :rolleyes:) and have some blood tests, and a repeat BP done - which was still low at 90/70.
Docs trying to rule out anaemia, or vitamin deficency. But i think if they come back ok, its most likely due to postural hypertension like phatgirl and shell say. ( sorry girls only just read ur posts).
It has been getting quite bad. Many times i go black for about 10 seconds and have to hold on to something. Others it will be just a brief dizzy spell. And it happens at all times of the day, not just after eating.
Good to know that is quite common, and that it will eventually settle - as i wasnt sure what the doc could do for it.
Ill update next week when blood tests come back xxxx

Last edited:
I haven't had surgery yet but I will say that when my iron levels are low, I do feel light headed when I stand up. I hope it is something very minor and that the doctors can sort this out for you soon.

Hello there

Sometimes when most ppl get up too fast it happens to them , i get it all the time as I have balancing problem that comes with deaf ness and vertigo as well............could be onset of an ear infection maybe ...just guessing

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi fed up sorry to hear you are feeling a bit off colour at times. It could be you need more protein or that you need more supplements, maybe you are low in some essential vitamins or iron, that could make you feel faint. Any new meds?? could be a side effect.
Not pregnant are you?? lol
Good you are seeing the doc he can take bloods and check your Hb for any deficiency. Hope you feel better

Jay xx

I get the same thing especially after a big meal ! not sure why but think its one of the lesser forms of dumping, normally i'm dizzy for 30 seconds or so and then its all back to normal !

Hi
I get this too, I stand up and for 10-15 seconds I feel really dizzy and light headed. Often have to grab onto something as well!
Doctor says everything is fine so not a clue really what is causing it!
Sorry I can't help but at least you know there are other's in the same boat!!
x

Prob not, but i dunno?

The past week or two ive been getting really light headed everytime i get up. Sometimes it lasts a sec or two, and im ok. Otehrs it lasts about 10 secs and i have to close my eyes and hold on to something? I tested my blood pressure thats fine. My diet hasnt changed, eating and drinking plenty.

Got a docs app next week for my depression, so ill ask then, but just wondered if anyone else gets it? x

:confused:

Hi fedup, i had this for a long time after surgery and as a result was off work for 14 weeks had my bloods tested and everything was okay doctor put it down to the drastic reduced food input, it has started to come right now though and i am back at work. hope this helps janey:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi, it could be because of any weight lost so far is giving you more energy but you are not used to that. Or it could be you are dehydrated. Or it could be your blood sugar may be low but I suppose your GP has tested your fasting blood sugars. Hope it clears up, take it easy.

Thanks for everyones replies. I did read it could be dehydration, but im drinking normally.
Poss could be low iron levels - i dont eat much red meat or green vegetables (think thats where u get it from) but do take a full supplement.

Hope im not pregnant!! eeek!

Ill let u know what the doc says x

I get the same thing especially after a big meal ! not sure why but think its one of the lesser forms of dumping, normally i'm dizzy for 30 seconds or so and then its all back to normal !

I was going to suggest a mild form of dumping too.

Hope it clears up no matter what it is.

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Fed-up, could it be postural hypotension? That is something I experience now post-op and so does Shelbell. It is a brief drop in bp upon rising, makes your head go swimmy for a few seconds and then you're fine. When you go to see your GP, ask them to take your bp after you have been seated for several minutes and then when you stand up. One thing that can help is to sit forward for a few seconds before standing up, then slowly rise, it sometimes reduces the swimmy feeling. Apparently it is a very common side effect of bypass while you are dropping weight, I have been told once my weight stabilizes that it will go away, we'll see!

HTH,
Nic:)

Fed-up, could it be postural hypotension? That is something I experience now post-op and so does Shelbell. It is a brief drop in bp upon rising, makes your head go swimmy for a few seconds and then you're fine. When you go to see your GP, ask them to take your bp after you have been seated for several minutes and then when you stand up. One thing that can help is to sit forward for a few seconds before standing up, then slowly rise, it sometimes reduces the swimmy feeling. Apparently it is a very common side effect of bypass while you are dropping weight, I have been told once my weight stabilizes that it will go away, we'll see!

HTH,
Nic:)

Nic - Having read what you've said i think your right, certainly for me that is, if i wait for a while after eating i dont tend to get this swimmy feeling, but if i get up quickly after eating i get it, thankfully as i'm inching my way towards my goal weight its getting less and less and if i do now get the feeling it lasts a few seconds and then is gone !

Nic - Having read what you've said i think your right, certainly for me that is, if i wait for a while after eating i dont tend to get this swimmy feeling, but if i get up quickly after eating i get it, thankfully as i'm inching my way towards my goal weight its getting less and less and if i do now get the feeling it lasts a few seconds and then is gone !

Silversurfer can i just ask you how are you getting on with the protein supplements. Janey:D:D:D:D

oooh oooh oooh I have just started to get this too so this is a perfect thread! All very interesting!!

Silversurfer can i just ask you how are you getting on with the protein supplements. Janey:D:D:D:D

Hi Janey

I'm still doing my daily protein suppliment, but i'm not overly sure its really making much difference, i do a lot of exercise though and if anything taking the protein about an hour before i go into my exercise seems to make it feel easier, now i'm not sure if this is some kind of psycological thing or its really boosting my energy, but i need all the help i can get so i'm going to keep using it.
I'm still consistantly losing about 1lb a week, which might not seem a lot, but i'm close to my goal weight now and i'm also building muscle mass through exercise which for a while will slow my weight loss down, and the exercise seems to be increasing my body tone slightly as i dont seem to be as baggy anymore !

Yup I have postural hypotension, which is as Nic describes. I've always had it, but post op it has been alot worse (got to the floor stage a few times, and the all black stage lots). I have found that post op my blood pressure has dropped generally, to the point where now (and this could be pregnancy related) it sits around 90/50 - 100/60. So obviously with it being low already when it does the stand up plummet it goes VERY low and so I have a worse episode.

updated 1st post, thanks for all ur replies xxxx

Nic is bang on the money.

I have suffered with this ever since the operation. You get up quick and it takes a second or two for the blood pressure sensor in your head to catch up and you feel dizzy. I get the same thing climbing stairs or getting out of a hot bath.

If you are on BP meds get your BP checked as you might need to reduce them now your losing weight rapidly.

You can reduce its effects by keeping properly hydrated, and it does get better in time.

Back