• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low Blood Pressure

suzz69uk

Hi All,

The last couple of days I have been sickly, tired, dizzy, lightheaded especially when i get up or move too quickly. I had my blood pressure taken and its so very low varying between 94/62 and 86/60 :eek:. I am sure it used to be about 115/90 before the op....

Do any of you suffer this?
Is there anything I can do to counteract it?

I guess the safest thing is to call the doctor in the morning for an appointment but just wondered of you guys had any insight...

I am drinking enough and eating plenty do its not lack of liquid or food... at least i do not think it is :confused:.

Are you taking your iron tablets?

Lynne x

I think you will be doing the right thing if you contact your doc tomorrow and explain how you are feeling. Hope it is simply sorted out for you.
Lynne x

It could be Postural Hypotension where a reduction in systolic blood pressure as you get up causes the feelings you're getting. When you lose a lot of weight quickly as we all do post op it takes a while for our bodies to get used to the different blood pressures and fluid volumes inside us. The pressure takes a while to equalise in your head where your sensors are, hence we feel faint

If you're on BP meds they might need reducing, if not then just be aware that it is going to happen for a few months and take care. I used to like really hot baths but first one I had post op I ended up on the bathroom floor thinking how the chuff did I get down here LOL.

You're properly hydrated you say, though you might be less hydrated than you think, so just take care with it, and it does settle down in a couple of months. xxxxx

Your readings are still within normal range, 90/50 is the bottom end of normal. Mine has done the same, I used to be textbook 120/80 and now go from 90/50-100/60.

Lots of people develop postural hypotension for a few months post op as Karl explained. I had this anyway and mine worsened. You will learn to adapt to it, stand up slowly and in stages (lying to sitting then to standing) and if you feel dizzy sit down and breath deeply and evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thank you so much for responding! It is so good to be able to ask these questions where people are helpful x

Back